OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Love the X11 rom, but is performance likely to improve ?
post Dec 27 2003, 07:09 AM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Trying out the X11 ROM and think it is fantastic. Especially with the planned releases (PIM + Outlook Sync.)

But it seams very sluggish at the moment. even when doing things which do not look to intensive.

e.g.

Bring up Light and Power settings 5+ seconds.
Start Gnumeric (excellent app.) 25 seconds.
Not exactly fast off the lights considering it has 400 Horse power under the bonnet..

I'm assuming this is normal performance for everyone else.
Overclocking looks like a nice way to fry the internals etc.

Is this mostly due to the Beta status and likely to imporve or is it going to be an inherent problem due to the big overhead of running X etc.

Other than the speed issues (and a few oversized dialogs) this thing looks untouchable.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Foxdie
post Dec 27 2003, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 875

X11 was always sluggish for me, even when I ran it on a 1GHz AMD Athlon.

I guess I've secretly noticed it's sluggish as well and I wish it was as fast as the old Qtopia ROM but I guess it's just one of the tradeoffs for the X11 server.

+Quote Post
post Dec 27 2003, 08:02 AM
Post #3

Group:

apps running slow because they use libs, which loading from flash. If load it in memory when system starting, that will decrease free RAM memory.

+Quote Post
Zuber
post Dec 27 2003, 08:28 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,289

I have a habit of suggesting things in a manner which makes them sound like a quick 5 minutes fix when they clearly take a lot more effort. So I'll apologise now smile.gif

Not a coder (for this type of stuff anyway) but it sounds like you could have some of the commonly used stuff preloaded into memory (user configurable) and impliment a swap disk (internal or storage card depending on reliability etc.).

That way you get the better performance, and the swap disk algorithms can take care of what to keep in memory and bin it if more free memory is needed.

Not unlike what is done on "real" PCs.

Things start slowing down if you start running lots of apps etc. at once, but presumably, not much slower than they would have been in the first place.

Like I said only a five minute fix wink.gif

+Quote Post
post Dec 27 2003, 08:34 AM
Post #5

Group:

yes smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 11:02 PM