Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Watapon ROM, New custom ROM, for the 5600
Chaos
post Sep 5 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,255

QUOTE(osmedd @ Sep 5 2004, 03:19 PM)
Well, Opera has a 7.6 preview out that supports Gmail. Once it's released, what would be the best way to test it on my 5600 with the Watapon ROM?

Is this a 7.6 preview for the Zaurus? Or just a general 7.6 version? Because unless it's specifically labelled as for the Zaurus, it won't work...

I can't find any reference to a Zaurus version on the Opera website (as I believe it was a deal with Sharp to include it with the Zaurus -- not a regularly produced version).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yasen
post Sep 7 2004, 03:18 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 217

Chaos Wast week I was away from my PC and had a lot of time to play with my Z. I found that you didn't remove old systeminfo. It will free only 32kb and some memory, nothing big but it is something. /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/binlib/sysinfo.so or something like this. If you chnage the calculator it is there too.You could change standart TextEdit with ZEditor and ImagePad with qpPhoto. They have more options and they are more user friendly.

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 7 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(Yasen @ Sep 7 2004, 04:18 AM)
Chaos Wast week I was away from my PC and had a lot of time to play with my Z. I found that you didn't remove old systeminfo. It will free only 32kb and some memory, nothing big but it is something. /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/binlib/sysinfo.so or something like this. If you chnage the calculator it is there too.You could change standart TextEdit with ZEditor and ImagePad with qpPhoto. They have more options and they are more user friendly.

Ah, thanks for pointing out the sysinfo library that I missed. I'm going to leave the standard text editor for now, but the calculator will be replaced in 1.3.

Also expect for 1.3...

Opera 7
New calculator (probably gwCalc as earlier suggested)
Crystal icons (very nice icons)
vim rather than vi
findutils
Many new IPKs in the feed

The base 1.3 ROM should be out this weekend (I'd originally planned it for today, but things kinda slowed me down...). The huge IPK feed updates might take another week longer.

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 8 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #34

As I said earlier, if KDE PIM/Pi released another version with a Mail client I'd be willing to give it a go as the default PIM... Unfortunately the whole KDE PIM/Pi set is over 8 MB large. This leaves me with a dilemma. Take out other things to IPKs to make room for PIM/Pi as the default, make both PIM/Pi and the Sharp PIMs as options in IPKs, or stick to the Sharp PIMs until KDE PIM/Pi gets smaller (more around the 3-4 MB range -- about what the Sharp ones are).

Any opinions on this?

Edit: Well, I tried out KDE PIM/Pi, and it's better than the Sharp PIMs... Unfortunately, I've heard it has issues with, especially, contact receiving. So I'm going to stick to the Sharp PIMs for now, being smaller. Maybe once KDE PIM/Pi hits version 2.0.0 I'll take another look.

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 9 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #35

I'm almost finished 1.3. Who's actual version number will come out at around 1.3.6. I've had SOOO MANY builds I thought were gonna be the last one, but turned out to have minor bugs in them...

There's only a couple issues right now.

One, my 5600 version of the IRDA applet doesn't work right (I recompiled after changing the code a bit more. I think this time I've got it -- still have yet to test), and two, there's a few issues with the icons (one not appearing right).

Also...

If anyone knows any or can make any nice SD and CF icons, it would be GREATLY appreciated, as those are the only commonly seen icons that are "ugly" now. wink.gif Preferably if they look similar to the Crystal icons for KDE, as that's what's in 1.3.

So, still aiming for that weekend release. And once 1.3 is out, nothing more except for bug fixes (as if there'll be any!) and program updated versions until at least December.

+Quote Post
Tehas
post Sep 11 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 867

Chaos, with your Watapon ROM, were you able to change the default alarm sound? The one that's built in to the Sharp ROM is annoying.

Were you able to get the VNC server running? I'm using the Overclock ROM and it does not work with VNC server.

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 11 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #37

I'm not sure what alarm sound you mean... All sounds are in /home/QtPalmtop/sounds/, which are symlinks to /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/sounds/, and I didn't change any. If you can figure out which sound file it is that's annoying to you, tell me and I'll try to find a better one and use that next release.

VNC server should work (as long as it's a version reported to work on the 5600 in general). The kernel is identical to the Sharp ROM's, except with the Cache bug turned off (increasing speed). I haven't personally tried though, as I don't use VNC.

1.4 (changed from 1.3 to 1.4 -- I'm going to go to the more standard 1.x, where if x is an odd number it's development version, if even it's stable) should be up later this evening. I'm just too lazy to post it up now (it works well though tongue.gif). The IPK feed will be slightly updated too, with Zautrix's NeIC in there, as opposed to ziciz for an IRC program. It's also been slightly hacked to give compatibility with ~ and & as IRC user prefixes (the source will be available).

So, I'll add a post when I do put 1.4 up. That'll be in a few hours (probably).

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 11 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #38

1.4 uploaded.

Opera 7.55
gwCalc
Crystal Icons
More IPKs

No IRDA applet... It just wasn't working for me when I tried to hack the code for the 5600. I may try again sometime.

http://zaurus.duelmonsters.ca/

Yeh, subdomain now. Little shorter to type/write, although not much...

If you install all the IPKs at the same time, it may seem to spit out an error while installing about 'Terminating Process', but don't worry, they install.

Also the NeIC version there has a minor edit to make it compatible with the IRC network I go to... Probably won't affect anyone else at all.

Have fun with 1.4. The screenshots are updated. wink.gif

+Quote Post
mike151
post Sep 14 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 3,849

Chaos,

Thank you very much for the hard work you have put on creating this ROM.
I am trying it now, and it looks and feels pretty good. biggrin.gif

Mike

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 15 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #40

Added Keypebble (possibly broken and non-functioning - might require libopie1 (now in base ROM) to be installed - anyone confirm this?), and the Sharp ROM default games to the feed. Any other requests?

Can't be certain the Sharp ROM games work either. They may be missing images. IF THEY DO NOT WORK, PLEASE TELL ME SO I CAN CORRECT THEM.

Thanks. smile.gif

Edit: Updated the ROM image itself. Still just 1.4. Only a very small update... Added libopie to the base ROM, and changed the Email icon to fit in better with the Opera icon. Don't have to update if you don't want to.

Only thing to note is that you'll need the libopie package (for some applications) still if you got the ROM before I posted this message (and don't feel like upgrading). Find it at http://zaurus.duelmonsters.ca/feed/old/

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 21 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #41

Small update. 1.4.1.

Only very tiny changes... Added the konsole with tabs, rather than the non-tabbed version.

Also updated Opie-Reader to 0.7h. And finally, added the Watapon IPK feed to the default config.

And on the website, I noted which IPKs either do or probably do have issues... Tell me if they do (I don't install some of them, as some were requested).

+Quote Post
Yasen
post Sep 21 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 217

Chaos pls give us permision to download that update. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 22 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(Yasen @ Sep 22 2004, 12:36 AM)
Chaos pls give us permision to download that update. tongue.gif

Ah, damnit! I keep forgetting that I mis-set the permissions all the time!

Sorry, will be corrected in about a minute...

Corrected.

Also... Anyone know a good, preferably mplayer-based GUI video player that works on a 5600? I just started getting some full movies on my CF card and realized just how crappy the Sharp Media Player is! I'd love to have a good video player on the Watapon ROM by default!

+Quote Post
komoman
post Sep 24 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 4,693

QUOTE(Chaos @ Sep 9 2004, 04:48 AM)
As I said earlier, if KDE PIM/Pi released another version with a Mail client I'd be willing to give it a go as the default PIM... Unfortunately the whole KDE PIM/Pi set is over 8 MB large. This leaves me with a dilemma. Take out other things to IPKs to make room for PIM/Pi as the default, make both PIM/Pi and the Sharp PIMs as options in IPKs, or stick to the Sharp PIMs until KDE PIM/Pi gets smaller (more around the 3-4 MB range -- about what the Sharp ones are).

Any opinions on this?

Edit: Well, I tried out KDE PIM/Pi, and it's better than the Sharp PIMs... Unfortunately, I've heard it has issues with, especially, contact receiving. So I'm going to stick to the Sharp PIMs for now, being smaller. Maybe once KDE PIM/Pi hits version 2.0.0 I'll take another look.

Any opinions on this?

I have taken a look at the KDE PIM/Pi and like them. I wouldn't suggest making them the default until they get the contact receiving working, but would like to see the Sharp PIMs taken out so we could only install the PIM that we prefer. I have also look at the Opie PIMs, and like them considerably more than the Sharp PIMs. The problem with the Opie addressbook is when you install it over the Sharp addressbook it dies when you try to access the owner information.

I just got my Z a week ago and I have tried a half a dozen ROMs. Giving each of them a good work out before moving on. OZ is still to unstable, and there are features there that I don't care for. Like I said earlier, I really like the Opie PIMs, and they don't have that issue on OZ. It finally came down to Watapon and Zynergy. I gave them each a more thorough look, and decided that Watapon would work better for me.

The one issue that I had with all the ROMs, except tkcROM, is that they had the PIMs installed already. I would love to see that option open up, so as to choose the one that works best for me.

Thanks for all the work on this ROM. That's what I love about the Z, is the options available to you.

Al
aka komoman

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 24 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(komoman @ Sep 25 2004, 12:27 AM)
I have taken a look at the KDE PIM/Pi and like them.  I wouldn't suggest making them the default until they get the contact receiving working, but would like to see the Sharp PIMs taken out so we could only install the PIM that we prefer.  I have also look at the Opie PIMs, and like them considerably more than the Sharp PIMs.  The problem with the Opie addressbook is when you install it over the Sharp addressbook it dies when you try to access the owner information.

I just got my Z a week ago and I have tried a half a dozen ROMs.  Giving each of them a good work out before moving on.  OZ is still to unstable, and there are features there that I don't care for.  Like I said earlier, I really like the Opie PIMs, and they don't have that issue on OZ.  It finally came down to Watapon and Zynergy.  I gave them each a more thorough look, and decided that Watapon would work better for me.

The one issue that I had with all the ROMs, except tkcROM, is that they had the PIMs installed already.  I would love to see that option open up, so as to choose the one that works best for me.

Thanks for all the work on this ROM.  That's what I love about the Z, is the options available to you.

One unfortunate sideaffect of removing the PIMs is probably ending up breaking the firstboot setup, as it asks for PIM Owner Information... The way tKC ROM got around this was by taking the home directory off a working Zaurus and then using that, which was already setup, I believe. Personally I'd prefer to avoid that.

But anyway, who knows, KDE PIM/Pi might be perfect by December (next planned major release of this ROM). tongue.gif

I'll keep it in mind. smile.gif

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 09:03 PM