Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smb In Files Tab?
BarryW
post Feb 22 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,570

Okay, so I finally figured out the whole smb thing. Is there any way to get the mounted files to show in the Files tab?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Optogeek
post Feb 23 2005, 03:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,681

It is not pretty but you can add a sym link from somewhere inside you /home/zaurus/Documents directory to your smb mount point.
i.e.
CODE
ln -s /mnt/smb/ /home/zaurus/Documents/smb

Now you should be able to see your smb stuff under the Internal Flash Icon in the Files tab.

A word of warning there are a couple of problem with this.
1) If you open an application like image viewer or musicplayer, they search your whole file tab for files, including your new smb link. If you have a large smb share this can take ages.
2) I have seen this seriously break the sharp back-up tools if you don?t unmount the share before back-up. This is because the back-up sometimes follows all sym links and stores copies of the files not the sym links themselves. I did this once and did not notice until I tried to restore a 256MB back-up image on the 32MB memory of my sl-5500, fun wink.gif

+Quote Post
soundwave106
post Feb 23 2005, 09:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,667

I think you can avoid at least the backup issue by storing the symlink on a SD card (and have the files appear there) instead of the internal flash.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Feb 23 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #4

Well as long as I don't have anything mounted, the backup should be okay, correct??

+Quote Post
Optogeek
post Feb 23 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,681

Yes. If you don't have your smb mount mounted (?) you will be okay but I would check the first back-up you do and check it is smaller than the total storage on your zaurus.

+Quote Post
zipmaster
post Mar 5 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,353

correct me if im wrong but if u mount it to /usr/mnt.rom/smb would it show up in files tab cause thats what i do with my usb drive and it shows in files tab

+Quote Post
AsLan^
post Mar 6 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,555

QUOTE(zipmaster @ Mar 5 2005, 06:47 PM)
correct me if im wrong but if u mount it to /usr/mnt.rom/smb would it show up in files tab cause thats what i do with my usb drive and it shows in files tab

That didn't work for me, the /usr/mnt.rom directory dosnt have a samba mountpoint and its a read only file sytem so I couldnt create one. I tried mounting it to the /usr/mnt.rom/net and /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage to see if they would suddenly pop up in the file browser but they didnt.

Any other suggestions ? perhaps the symlink on the card is the best way to go.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Mar 6 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #8

The ln -s /mnt/smb/ /home/zaurus/Documents/smb works just fine. Just make sure you are umounting it when you are done with it. Also like they said, if you open media player, get ready to wait. I mounted my home directory on my mac, that's 57Gb. Eventually got tired of waiting and reset the Z.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 03:15 PM