Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ubuntu Frisky Firedrake Available..., Much left to tweak, asking for help
cortez
post May 7 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,380

Hi,

I've asked for a dedicated Ubuntu subforum, but since Ubuntu is based on Debian I posted this here for the time being.

I've finally uploaded a version 0.1 of Ubuntu Frisky Firedrake for all of you to try. Detailed instructions can be found here. Thanks to speculatrix for hosting the files.

It's a bit different than all the other images I guess. Since this is just a version 0.1, I've based the installation instructions on the Qemu (ARM) emulator. There's much left to be fixed and configured, so this is much easier done in Qemu on a fast machine instead of doing it on the much slower Zaurus.

Please help me to get to a version 1.0 as soon as possible, by giving it a try, and sharing your thoughts, suggestions and hopefully your patches/fixes/scripts etc. Also, let me know if there are any errors in the instructions.

Have fun,
cortez
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tux
post May 7 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 346

cool.gif Hi Cortez,

I've seconded your request for a forum.

I had a little play with the android stuff on my 3200 before I went back to Cacko recently. I'm having fun playing with the Ubuntu under Qemu stuff thanks to your blog and Paul's hosting of the files. I certainly learn things when I follow your suggestions!! biggrin.gif

I expect I'll break this system a half dozen times before the evening is over. Whatever the outcome of this experiment I'll certainly have a few clues about Qemu and the process of building Zaurus usable file systems before too long. Thanks again and also to Speculatrix for the hosting. smile.gif

I installed openssh-server first. I expect I'll find a way of sshing in from a terminal session soon. blink.gif I'm going to add a normal user and see if I can start to use X as a normal user. I suppose I'd better have a quiet look at the sudo set up etc.

Cheers

My goodness! That was a quick response!!!! laugh.gif I started posting in the Debian forum and finished in the new Ubuntu one! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by tux: May 7 2008, 09:09 AM

+Quote Post
cortez
post May 7 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #3

Gee, I'm enjoying my 15 minutes of fame rolleyes.gif here

+Quote Post
mikeones
post May 7 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,468

Nice write up. I will give this a look...

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post May 7 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 208

EXCELLENT, cortez!

Thanks for sharing this with everyone!

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
zogs
post May 7 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,953

cool...src/ubuntu created ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
axeTail
post May 8 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,073

QUOTE(cortez @ May 7 2008, 12:18 PM) *
Hi,

I've asked for a dedicated Ubuntu subforum, but since Ubuntu is based on Debian I posted this here for the time being.

I've finally uploaded a version 0.1 of Ubuntu Frisky Firedrake for all of you to try. Detailed instructions can be found here. Thanks to speculatrix for hosting the files.

It's a bit different than all the other images I guess. Since this is just a version 0.1, I've based the installation instructions on the Qemu (ARM) emulator. There's much left to be fixed and configured, so this is much easier done in Qemu on a fast machine instead of doing it on the much slower Zaurus.

Please help me to get to a version 1.0 as soon as possible, by giving it a try, and sharing your thoughts, suggestions and hopefully your patches/fixes/scripts etc. Also, let me know if there are any errors in the instructions.

Have fun,
cortez

Well done cortez,

What are the advantages of using ubuntu over debian ?

Thanks....

+Quote Post
tux
post May 8 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(axeTail @ May 8 2008, 09:21 AM) *
... snipped ...
Well done cortez,

What are the advantages of using ubuntu over debian ?

Thanks....

cool.gif Advantages:

1. We can easily use Qemu to test and tweak on our desktop/laptop/umpc before installing on the Z. wink.gif

2. The installation method is a lot more straightforward. biggrin.gif Apparently, fairly straightforward on the C1000 also?

Looking at cortez's website, omegamoon, the install is just a normal Z flashing process. You follow the instructions for Android on cortez's site but use frisky-minimal-rootfs.tar.gz renaming it to android-rootfs.tar.gz.

It would also seem to me that once the FieryFiredrake release from cortez reaches version 1.0 we'll have an Eabi, Debian based, linux on the Z which should be reliable, stable and useful.

I suspect that it won't be any faster than the Debian installs. sad.gif

Cheers biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by tux: May 8 2008, 12:45 AM

+Quote Post
cortez
post May 8 2008, 02:26 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(tux @ May 8 2008, 10:44 AM) *
1. We can easily use Qemu to test and tweak on our desktop/laptop/umpc before installing on the Z. wink.gif

I like that part too. It's much easier to configure. This applies to Debian too by the way. I'm pretty much done with documenting this for Debian too. I've installed Debian using the Debian Installer in Qemu. Running Debian from the Qemu (ARM) emulator, you're able to build Ubuntu or any other Debian-ARM-based distro. Pretty cool actually. For the rest, it's just a matter of taste I guess. Freedom of choice is a good thing. If you're happy with Debian, it's stable and you're able to run all stuff you want, don't switch to Ubuntu. Be sure never to fix a working system!

2. The installation method is a lot more straightforward. biggrin.gif Apparently, fairly straightforward on the C1000 also?
Looking at cortez's website, omegamoon, the install is just a normal Z flashing process. You follow the instructions for Android on cortez's site but use frisky-minimal-rootfs.tar.gz renaming it to android-rootfs.tar.gz.

I forgot to mention, this should indeed work for the C1000 also, not only for the C3x00.

It would also seem to me that once the FieryFiredrake release from cortez reaches version 1.0 we'll have an Eabi, Debian based, linux on the Z which should be reliable, stable and useful.

What can you expect, extraction of 80+Mb takes some time

+Quote Post
tux
post May 8 2008, 02:35 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(cortez @ May 8 2008, 11:26 AM) *
... snipped...

What can you expect, extraction of 80+Mb takes some time

cool.gif Sorry cortez, I meant to say "I suspect that it won't run any faster than Debian." laugh.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
crossblaim
post May 26 2008, 02:36 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,893

Hey, thank you very much for your efforts, cortez.

I'm trying the version 0.3 of the image in my zaurus SL-C3200, my network card is working fine but I'm getting 302 moved temporarily errors runing apt-get. do you know what must be the problem?

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post May 26 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #12

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(crossblaim @ May 26 2008, 11:36 AM) *
Hey, thank you very much for your efforts, cortez.

I'm trying the version 0.3 of the image in my zaurus SL-C3200, my network card is working fine but I'm getting 302 moved temporarily errors runing apt-get. do you know what must be the problem?

check your apt sources and put them into a regular web browser, and verify that they work there - it might be a typo in the file, or cortez might have tweaked things?

+Quote Post
AeroSigma
post Jun 24 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,937

What hardware do I need to run this? It's about an 80MB root-fs, so I can't really install it on my SL-6000. But you've got instructions to alt-boot Android to SD card on a CL-1000, and the Zubuntu uses the same install procedures as your Android. Is it possible to adapt this process for the 6000?

-AeroSigma

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 02:28 AM