Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sl-c3000, Sharp Serial Cable , And Gps, Experience Welcome
drnick
post Dec 13 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,361

Hello, I've been reading some posts about the C3000 and its serial capabilities. When I first got the C3000 the serial port function was still in debate. I re-read some old post and learned that the sharp serial port on the C3000 does function as a serial port. After learning this I bought a CE-170TS from Amazon and a Male to Male DB9 gender changer. My intent was to use the cable for a GPS I am borrowing from a friend. The GPS is a Delorme Tripmate. Its an older model but it shown to have support from within gpsd. So far I am unable to get gpsd or qpegps to work with it.

the gpsd args i am using is
CODE
gpsd -D 100 -T t -p /dev/ttyS0

After sending this command in the terminal i can telnet into the gps
CODE
telnet localhost 2947

from there i can see that gpsd is running. sending NMEA command such as GPRMC gets me data back from the gps, but it looks rather generic and I dont think it is really working.

Qpegps complains about not finding the gps when invoked from the terminal or from the icon. Running gpsd before opening qpegps solves this. However the data that qpegps shows is sililarly generic and the box next to GPS: is full of ??? marks.

on my ubuntu box I installed gpsdrive and using the GPS i either got generic results or it told me i was located in the middle of the ocean.

So do I have a bum gps? it is borrowed and had no garentee of working to begin with but i do feel kind of bad spending so much money on the cables trying to get this to work. I dont really want to use a USB-Serial adapter either.

Any thoughts or tips? Anyone succesfull with the Sharp serial cable and gps on the newer clamshells?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drnick
post Dec 14 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,361

QUOTE(drnick @ Dec 14 2005, 03:43 AM)
Hello, I've been reading some posts about the C3000 and its serial capabilities.  When I first got the C3000 the serial port function was still in debate.  I re-read some old post and learned that the sharp serial port on the C3000 does function as a serial port.  After learning this I bought a CE-170TS from Amazon and a Male to Male DB9 gender changer.  My intent was to use the cable for a GPS I am borrowing from a friend.  The GPS is a Delorme Tripmate.  Its an older model but it shown to have support from within  gpsd.  So far I am unable to get gpsd or qpegps to work with it.

the gpsd args i am using is
CODE
gpsd -D 100 -T t -p /dev/ttyS0

After sending this command in the terminal i can telnet into the gps
CODE
telnet localhost 2947

from there i can see that gpsd is running.  sending NMEA command such as GPRMC gets me data back from the gps, but it looks rather generic and I dont think it is really working.

Qpegps complains about not finding the gps when invoked from the terminal or from the icon.  Running gpsd before opening qpegps solves this.  However the data that qpegps shows is sililarly generic and the box next to GPS: is full of ??? marks.

on my ubuntu box I installed gpsdrive and using the GPS i either got generic results or it told me i was located in the middle of the ocean.

So do I have a bum gps? it is borrowed and had no garentee of working to begin with but i do feel kind of bad spending so much money on the cables trying to get this to work.  I dont really want to use a USB-Serial adapter either.

Any thoughts or tips?  Anyone succesfull with the Sharp serial cable and gps on the newer clamshells?

I gave up today and returned the CE-170TS back to amazon (they paid freight!). Also the gender changer went back to CompUSA. So i got my $45 dollars back. I'll try not to be so adventurous next time and I'll buy a supported USB-Serial cable. Ive seen serial GPS success with that method elsewhere in this forum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th July 2015 - 03:18 PM