Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fix Broken English
bit_bucket
post Mar 27 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,515

I have a SL-C3200 with Cacko 1.23 full ROM. The English conversion is pretty complete, however I notice in a few programs that the english is real bad. Programs like Datebook, when an alarm comes up is says "this is time", and apps like Migration and Receive Data have almost unreadable dialog boxes. Are there any modifiable libs that I can go in to correct this? It is more of an annoyance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Mar 28 2007, 02:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(bit_bucket @ Mar 28 2007, 11:42 AM)
I have a SL-C3200 with Cacko 1.23 full ROM.  The English conversion is pretty complete, however I notice in a few programs that the english is real bad.  Programs like Datebook, when an alarm comes up is says "this is time", and apps like Migration and Receive Data have almost unreadable dialog boxes.  Are there any modifiable libs that I can go in to correct this?  It is more of an annoyance.

the .qm files contain the translated text that is displayed unless it is hardcoded in the binaries themselves. you will need the qt tools like qt linguists from trolltech to edit the qm files...

+Quote Post
bit_bucket
post Mar 28 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,515

QUOTE(Meanie @ Mar 28 2007, 10:56 AM)
the .qm files contain the translated text that is displayed unless it is hardcoded in the binaries themselves. you will need the qt tools like qt linguists from trolltech to edit the qm files...

Very cool thanks for the info. I have been using the Cacko 1.23 ROM and it appears as though all of the qm files have been removed. I assume this was done to force the Z to not translate and just present it in English. Now if I started with the fresh JP rom and customized from there I assume that I could make mods to the qm files using the right tools that would yield a little better English. It's funny, I have used their English devices in the past and the grammar was never that bad, I guess these things were never supposed to be in the hands of yanks...

+Quote Post
Stubear
post Mar 29 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,219

Most of the time the qm files are fro languages other than English. The conversion from Japanese to English is done by removing the Japanese .qm files so that qtopia is forced to use the default labels, menus etc. These are usually in English, however if the applications were made by non-native English speakers (or lazy native English programmers) then you get some innovative uses of the English language.

In the C760, C860 and C1000 Japanese roms there were no English qm files, just Japanes ones.

Stu

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 03:18 AM