OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compilers For The Zaurus, Compiling should be easy!
snowfarthing
post Oct 2 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,265

Zaurus seems to lack straightforward tools for development.

This last couple of weeks I tried to compile an altered version of IRK (so that I could type Dvorak on my Targus and experiment with the layout). I didn't get very far, though, because I couldn't figure out what I needed to set up a compiling environment in a timely manner. I'm not even sure whether I could use Bitbake, or how to set up a non-2.95 cross-compiler (since I use OpenZaurus 3.5.4)!

It would be very nice if a tarball could be made that will set up all the needed tools immediately, all in one go, so that all that would be necessary would be to type something like
CODE
./configure
zmake

or something like
CODE
gcc-zaurus myprog.cpp

to cross-compile something for the Zaurus.

Furthermore, I would really like to be able to compile things in OpenZaurus directly, in an emulator, using a native compiler toolchain. I know from experience that it is very discouraging to try to set up such an environment! It would be really nice to be able to install a zaurus-compiler.ipk package that will give a hobbyist make, gcc, and so forth, the ability to try to compile whatever programs that tickles their fancy (particularly math programs in my case).

When I originally got my Zaurus, I looked forward to being able to do things like this. It's a little frustrating that doing this is just out of my reach! (But I still like my Zaurus; between Python and the fact that I can request something like this makes my Zaurus much closer to that ideal than a Palm or my old Windows-CE Cassiopeia!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adf
post Oct 2 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,572

pdaxriom is pretty close to what you have in mind. not sure about the 5500, though.

+Quote Post
koen
post Oct 2 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(snowfarthing @ Oct 2 2006, 07:50 PM)
Zaurus seems to lack straightforward tools for development.

This last couple of weeks I tried to compile an altered version of IRK (so that I could type Dvorak on my Targus and experiment with the layout).  I didn't get very far, though, because I couldn't figure out what I needed to set up a compiling environment in a timely manner.  I'm not even sure whether I could use Bitbake, or how to set up a non-2.95 cross-compiler (since I use OpenZaurus 3.5.4)!

It would be very nice if a tarball could be made that will set up all the needed tools immediately, all in one go, so that all that would be necessary would be to type something like
CODE
./configure
zmake

or something like
CODE
gcc-zaurus myprog.cpp

to cross-compile something for the Zaurus.

Furthermore, I would really like to be able to compile things in OpenZaurus directly, in an emulator, using a native compiler toolchain.  I know from experience that it is very discouraging to try to set up such an environment!  It would be really nice to be able to install a zaurus-compiler.ipk package that will give a hobbyist make, gcc, and so forth, the ability to try to compile whatever programs that tickles their fancy (particularly math programs in my case).

When I originally got my Zaurus, I looked forward to being able to do things like this.  It's a little frustrating that doing this is just out of my reach!  (But I still like my Zaurus; between Python and the fact that I can request something like this makes my Zaurus much closer to that ideal than a Palm or my old Windows-CE Cassiopeia!)

ipkg install gcc-symlinks binutils-symlinks make automake autoconf m4 libc6-dev

that wasn't too hard, right?

+Quote Post
snowfarthing
post Oct 4 2006, 07:08 AM
Post #4

I'll be sure to try this, as soon as I get an emulator up and running (or slowly shuffling forward, as my computer is rather old!).

Nonetheless, it would still be nice to have it all in a single gcc-eveything-you-need.ipk to make it obvious as to what needs to be installed! (In particular, it would be helpful for the poor soul--like me--who has to download the files and install them manually due to lack of Zaurus network access...although I personally will remedy that eventually.)

Similarly, it would still be nice to have a gcc-latest-cross-compiler.tar.gz (or even an .rpm and/or .deb) that would allow for easy cross-compile setup! (Since I'd rather spend time compiling programs rather than trying to figure out how to set the compiler up!)

+Quote Post
koen
post Oct 4 2006, 07:44 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(snowfarthing @ Oct 4 2006, 03:08 PM)

I'll be sure to try this, as soon as I get an emulator up and running (or slowly shuffling forward, as my computer is rather old!).

Nonetheless, it would still be nice to have it all in a single gcc-eveything-you-need.ipk to make it obvious as to what needs to be installed! (In particular, it would be helpful for the poor soul--like me--who has to download the files and install them manually due to lack of Zaurus network access...although I personally will remedy that eventually.)

ipkg install task-native-sdk

See http://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/tmp/hrw/fb/?a...task-native-sdk for its depencies

Similarly, it would still be nice to have a gcc-latest-cross-compiler.tar.gz (or even an .rpm and/or .deb) that would allow for easy cross-compile setup!  (Since I'd rather spend time compiling programs rather than trying to figure out how to set the compiler up!)

Sounds like you want to use OpenEmbedded...

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Oct 5 2006, 05:15 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,686

See http://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/tmp/hrw/fb/?a...task-native-sdk for its depencies

great! this is a big step forward. it will allow you to easily compile helloworld smile.gif

+Quote Post
snowfarthing
post Oct 6 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #7

Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to try to install task-native-sdk; in particular, I'm finding that my computer is too slow for Zaurus emulation sad.gif and I haven't yet found the time to install it directly to my Zaurus.

Sounds like you want to use OpenEmbedded...

That's what I thought, but when I installed bitbake, things didn't work as I expected. (I'm trying to compile the source of irk-0.11.0.tgz downloaded from the 3.5.4 feed). Just today, I found myself trying to install other packages (texi2html and tmake) and am now getting missing qpe errors (I haven't yet figured out what package that is).

Things are made even more frustrating in that I'm generally doing this while I'm supposed to be studying!

I am somehow doing blatantly wrong, and blaming it on a "lack" of tools, when I'm just having a difficult time ferreting out the correct documentation.

(I still have a sense that it shouldn't be this complicated, though! especially if it's my fault that it's been so.)

+Quote Post
lardman
post Oct 9 2006, 02:51 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 464

Just today, I found myself trying to install other packages (texi2html and tmake) and am now getting missing qpe errors (I haven't yet figured out what package that is).

It should all be built automatically for you when you issue (in your case): bitbake irk

Si

+Quote Post
snowfarthing
post Oct 9 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #9

It should all be built automatically for you when you issue (in your case): bitbake irk

It took me a while to figure this out, but it should be bitbake irk-targus. I had to google a little bit and look at stuff/org.openembedded.dev/packages to figure this out.

Nonetheless, I really appreciate the help! biggrin.gif It's taking a while, but bitbake is happily compiling now.
------------------------
Update: bitbake didn't finish compiling. It ran into an error, and put out the following output:
CODE
| make[2]: arm-linux-gcc-2.95: Command not found
| make[2]: *** [constants.h] Error 127
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/am9385/open_embedded/tmp/work/collie-linux/openzaurus-sa-2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix-r23/linux/arch/arm/tools'
| make[1]: *** [dep] Error 2
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/am9385/open_embedded/tmp/work/collie-linux/openzaurus-sa-2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix-r23/linux/arch/arm/tools'
| make: *** [archdep] Error 2
| FATAL: oe_runmake failed
NOTE: Task failed: /home/am9385/open_embedded/tmp/work/collie-linux/openzaurus-sa-2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix-r23/temp/log.do_compile.18311
NOTE: package openzaurus-sa-2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix-r23: task do_compile: failed
ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
NOTE: package openzaurus-sa-2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix: failed
ERROR: Build of irk-targus failed

Do I need to install the gcc-2.95 compiler then? It was my understanding that OpenZaurus had moved on to a later version of gcc. (I'll have to check the documentation when I have the time.)

+Quote Post
hvontres
post Oct 14 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,121

QUOTE(Meanie @ Oct 5 2006, 06:15 AM)

great! this is a big step forward. it will allow you to easily compile helloworld smile.gif

If you want to install task-native-sdk to a location other than root make sure to install the following on your root:
- sed
- grep
- gawk
- libgcc-s-dev

these packages don't relocate well...sed and gawk are really bad, since installing them in another location breaks ipkg-link blink.gif

+Quote Post
lardman
post Oct 16 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 464

I've added this as a note in: http://wiki.openzaurus.org/HowTos/Native_Development

If anyone feels like updating this page now that task-native-sdk is available (removing some of the packages that it's suggested are installed, and listing those included in the task-native-sdk ipk explicitly) then please feel free.

Si

+Quote Post
Hrw
post Oct 16 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,413

QUOTE(snowfarthing @ Oct 9 2006, 11:23 PM)
CODE
| make[2]: arm-linux-gcc-2.95: Command not found
NOTE: package openzaurus-sa-2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix: failed
ERROR: Build of irk-targus failed

Do I need to install the gcc-2.95 compiler then?  It was my understanding that OpenZaurus had moved on to a later version of gcc.

2.4.x sHarp kernels need gcc 2.95

+Quote Post
snowfarthing
post Nov 2 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #13

It helps to know why I need gcc-2.95, which is also why I should probably upgrade to 3.4.5.2-rc1. biggrin.gif (I've decided to wait for >1GB SD card support, though.)

Unfortunately, it turns out that I already have gcc-2.95 installed, which means that I'll now have to hunt down the problem when I get the chance! (I think this process would be less frustrating if I had more time to devote to it. As it is, it feels kindof weird to take a week to discover a problem, then another to solve it.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 01:41 AM