2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux On Ps3 And Psp!, Bogowimps?
danboid
post Jan 23 2007, 06:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,789

Thanks to Tyrannozaurus.com for pointing out that uCLinux is now running on the PSP, now with frambuffer and SDL support!

http://df38.dot5hosting.com/~remember/chris/

As you can see from dmesg, the PSP only packs a measley 2.42 Bogomips which makes the PS3's 158.72 and a (non-overclocked!) SL-CXX00's 400+ Bogomips look really damn impressive! But this I don't understand, I thought that the PS3s Cell CPU was supposed to be on a par with at least a 1Ghz G4 CPU and surely they manage more than 158 bogomips? I understand this score doesn't take account of the Cells many co-pro's or whatever Sony are calling them but how can my Zaurus be 3 or 4 times faster than a PS3 (if I overclocked it), even if this is just at integer calcs?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 23 2007, 07:23 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

impressive

if ONLY the psp had a touchscreen

... and higher res

... and bluetooth, and more memory, and a keyboard, THEN it'd be a Z killer smile.gif

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Jan 23 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,575

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 23 2007, 10:23 AM)
impressive

if ONLY the psp had a touchscreen

... and higher res

... and bluetooth, and more memory, and a keyboard, THEN it'd be a Z killer smile.gif

Don't forget USB 2.0 host and SD/CF slots (they're cheaper than Sony's formats)!

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Jan 23 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

awwww MAN! Sweet...

DOWN WITH SONY!

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jan 24 2007, 02:47 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,806

actually that is a very wierd resault, 2.34 or whatever is just crazy, me thinks somthing hasent been set up properly (perhaps cpu scaling, perhaps theintro stuff they have clocks down when not doing anything)

note the lack of driver stuff sad.gif seems he only got the led working. also uclinux is nice but i really like a mmu for several reasons, but i could be misinformed about that (mainly security reasons but perhaps there can be some sort of workaround to prevent apps snooping on each other, not that its reall required but i do like security wink.gif)

i wonder if the ps3 downclocks as well, i havent double checked you figures however. perhaps it is running with debugging options and not optimised, that would really knock the performance down on some things. also compiling for an older architecture can sometimes inccur a performance hit.

i cant remeber the exact instruction however i belive that ARM processors had an intsruction that hada penelty that was not present in the earlier versions, but grain of salt without varificatoin and double checking (i mean i am remebering this from memorie wihch is "short term" at the best of times)

another thing is what does bogomips mean? well its a mesure of how many times a second you can do "nothing", its used as a calabration loop by the kernel for timing and such. perhaps in this kernel it dosent use a nop but a sleep instead and gets woken by the timer, that really seems like it would fit with the "get it to work no matter what" that people try before relasing

well that was my $10 for the discounted rate of $0.02

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jan 24 2007, 02:50 AM
Post #6

looks like my optimisation bits were correct to a certin extent

CC = mipsel-uclibc-gcc
CFLAGS += -O0 -static -elf2flt -static-libgcc -lpthread -msoft-float
LDFLAGS += -O0 -static -elf2flt -static-libgcc -lpthread -msoft-float

+Quote Post
danboid
post Jan 24 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #7

Da_Blitz / Meanie:

Have you guys ever met up for a super Z geek out or have you ever met at a Sydney LUG meeting? Whom else have you amongst the prominent members of the Sydney LUG, if either of you is a member?

+Quote Post
danboid
post Jan 24 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #8

<--- post 486, almost Top 50 material laugh.gif

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 24 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #9

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jan 24 2007, 11:47 AM)
actually that is a very wierd resault, 2.34 or whatever is just crazy, me thinks somthing hasent been set up properly (perhaps cpu scaling, perhaps theintro stuff they have clocks down when not doing anything)

he did say that he hadn't enabled the cache; I would guess in arm cpu that'd make a huge difference. I imagine too that the PSP is going to be very dependent on coprocessor chips to accelerate the graphics and sound..

I was very impressed how they managed to write a useable text editor on the PSP using only the gaming buttons!

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jan 25 2007, 03:46 AM
Post #10

i still wonder about that low performance, probelly somthing bizare or mundane

still bogomips rely on nop's which are normally one cycle so thats why they follow clockspped quite closly (ecept for x86 which is 2x but not 2x performance scince its a mesure of "no operation")

i have been thinking of going to a Sydney lug meeting, anyone else frome here go at all?

+Quote Post
stampsm
post Jan 30 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,273

remeber that the processor's clock speed on the psp is software configurable, so most likely it starts out at a slow base speed and has to be changed to a higher speed by the software(firmare). the guy who did this might not have taken this into account.

this is the only thing i can think of that would cause such a poor performance

+Quote Post
danboid
post Jan 31 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #12

stampsm:

Yes, you're probably right about that, but what of the PS3's piffling 158 bogomips?

There are some nbench results running on the PS3 here

http://type-x.ddo.jp/pukiwiki/index.php?%A...%C6%A5%B9%A5%C8

and here

http://matsuu.blogspot.com/search/label/ps3

Although I'm not entirely sure whats going on there as why are the scores much higher for the 'old index' Pentium 90 compared to the new index of a AMD K6/233?

+Quote Post
stampsm
post Jan 31 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,273

QUOTE(danboid @ Jan 31 2007, 12:17 AM)
stampsm:

Yes, you're probably right about that, but what of the PS3's piffling 158 bogomips?

There are some nbench results running on the PS3 here

http://type-x.ddo.jp/pukiwiki/index.php?%A...%C6%A5%B9%A5%C8

and here

http://matsuu.blogspot.com/search/label/ps3

Although I'm not entirely sure whats going on there as why are the scores much higher for the 'old index' Pentium 90 compared to the new index of a AMD K6/233?

probably something to do with the old processors not having a FPU so they might not be benchmarked on it while newer processors have one. the code might not be using the FPU and doing the calculations the hard way. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jan 31 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(danboid @ Jan 25 2007, 03:53 AM)
Da_Blitz / Meanie:

Have you guys ever met up for a super Z geek out or have you ever met at a Sydney LUG meeting? Whom else have you amongst the prominent members of the Sydney LUG, if either of you is a member?

Sydney LUG? why would I want to hang out with a bunch of geeks when I could be enjoying a movie with my girlfriend instead?

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Feb 1 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #15

perhaps the idea of the main processor was only to keep the child processor fed? therefore not much performance is needed (as the calculation part iis supposed to be offloaded)

i wonder how it would do in a data shuffling experiment, i bet that processor kicks the intel chip when it comes to moving data around.

wouldnt supprise me as tehy are designed as computaion power houses and not data shufflurs

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 06:27 PM