Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Use Of Zaurus As Automotive Bling
Nexus7
post Sep 30 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,536

Cars made after 1996 (and some before that) have a port for OBD-2 (an emissions control regime) diagnostics. This is located usually below the dashboard. There are many products that can be plugged into this port, that can read real-time data about the car's operation, such as fuel consumption rate, various temperatures, rpms, voltages, etc. One of these is just a box that displays instantaneous data and stores some history, allowing it to act as a trip computer. Others, for those who are data hungry, consist of a connector that plugs into the port one one end and into a notebook or PDA at the other; and software that shows readouts, charts, etc. of the hundreds of vehicle parameters. The connection is either serial or USB.

Now there is some free software for Linux also that does the same thing. So I'm thinking that a Z would make a great host and output device. Would there be a way to do real-time data acquisition through a serial or USB connection? IF so, then we can get at least textual information stored, and finding or writing software to do chart displays would be next.

An easy alternative is to get an older Palm and the appropriate product (some of those available support Palm already), at a cost of around $300 total. But it'd be great if the Z could be used. Any/all thoughts appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gondola
post Sep 30 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,189

QUOTE(Nexus7 @ Sep 30 2005, 02:27 PM)
Cars made after 1996 (and some before that) have a port for OBD-2 (an emissions control regime) diagnostics. This is located usually below the dashboard. There are many products that can be plugged into this port, that can read real-time data about the car's operation, such as fuel consumption rate, various temperatures, rpms, voltages, etc. One of these is just a box that displays instantaneous data and stores some history, allowing it to act as a trip computer. Others, for those who are data hungry, consist of a connector that plugs into the port one one end and into a notebook or PDA at the other; and software that shows readouts, charts, etc. of the hundreds of vehicle parameters. The connection is either serial or USB.

Now there is some free software for Linux also that does the same thing. So I'm thinking that a Z would make a great host and output device. Would there be a way to do real-time data acquisition through a serial or USB connection? IF so, then we can get at least textual information stored, and finding or writing software to do chart displays would be next.

An easy alternative is to get an older Palm and the appropriate product (some of those available support Palm already), at a cost of around $300 total. But it'd be great if the Z could be used. Any/all thoughts appreciated.

I second this motion... I've got a 2004 Eclipse, would be cool to check out its stats with my Z while the wife is driving. I've got the ZThinCable serial cable too.

+Quote Post
Tom61
post Oct 1 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,002

Err, hasn't this been done already? One guy even had his Z data-loging his hybrid. I don't have the link handy, though.

+Quote Post
Nexus7
post Oct 1 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Tom61 @ Oct 1 2005, 09:10 PM)
Err, hasn't this been done already? One guy even had his Z data-loging his hybrid. I don't have the link handy, though.

Couldn't find it with a search on hybrid, any other pointers would be helpful.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Oct 1 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,570

Google is your friend! http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/CAN/cindex.html

+Quote Post
Tom61
post Oct 1 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,002

Also check this, as the person links to a command line program for the Z to read ODB-2:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?boar...;num=1044135458

+Quote Post
Nexus7
post Oct 2 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(BarryW @ Oct 2 2005, 12:55 AM)

OK, so I was searching on this forum...

Anyhow, I did some reading on the Prius site, the link Tom61 posted, and other places. I see all the programs that can be run, but at tihs point I want to know how I get started. Am I correct in thinking I can get the CAN232 adapter and a ZThinCable 232, and then the Zaurus will be able to talk to the CAN232? That is, once the ZThinCable is plugged in, the programs will just run? My 6000 is running the stock ROM, will it have drivers, etc.?

Thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 08:30 AM