OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where to get started on buillding a custom kernel?
post Feb 22 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,391

Where can I get the info and downloads to get started on building my own custom kernel for my Z ? With the devnet site down, I don't know where to go. This would include kernel source, as well as the cross-compiling utils. Basically the whole 9 yards.

I have an sl-5600, and I would like to get started with the official Sharp ROM source.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Feb 22 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

check out this developer how-to from the How-to docs area here at the ZUG.
+Quote Post
post Feb 27 2004, 06:38 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,059

I like CED's guide, the last section is especially good. A big thanks CED

I've had my baby sl-5600 (got the 250 chip, but hey thats just adds to its character tongue.gif) for less then 5 days, its now got the special kernel with the latest Sharp rom. U have to do a bit more reading to get things like iptables working but thats no biggy and its quite interesting if u like that stuff!

btw I left it on overnight with the media playing on repeat and no crashes *crosses his fingers*

Oh a few things that might make life easier... The links for the patches all work from the bottom of CEDs howto apart from the main kernel which has moved to

The Updater.sh I grabbed from the lastest sharp rom and remember the zImage file should be named zImage.bin and its a good idea if u have a spare sd card lying around (nice lil 8meg ones which no one ever finds a use for) to keep Updater.sh and zImage.bin from a working version incase somethign horribly goes wrong.

The dhrystone test really made me smile, thanks again CED

ps off topic if u run into a kernel incompatibility with kbdsim and you've installed the vnc server, u need to update that file. I think I spend more time accessing with ssh and vnc.
+Quote Post
post Mar 1 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,104

thanks dude! :-)
+Quote Post
post Mar 17 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,106

CED's instructions don't seem to cover the sl5500 ... has anyone got a complete kernel config for the sl5500 they want to share? i'd really like to try compiling a kernel for my 5500, but all i've got is an OSX machine and the Embedix cross-compiler ... ?(
+Quote Post
post Mar 20 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 907

The kernel configuration is part of the embedix patch - see linux/arch/arm/def-configs/collie*
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th October 2015 - 03:38 PM