Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Progress?
dhns
post Nov 3 2004, 06:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,043

Is there already a "sandbox" system running (with only e.g. the 3 main functions working and not optimized in appearance)?

ZSI has had only 10 updates in October and mine are still pending...

-- hns
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dz
post Nov 3 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #2

~

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,667

Yes there is a system that is up for testing. I wasn't going to make it public until I had more of the site finished, but I suppose it couldn't really hurt.

http://zsi2.zaurususergroup.com/

It's just a test server with test projects. You cannot upload any files and it is missing much of the functionality, but you can register and play a little bit.

I got slammed with a lot of school work this past week and I had to take up more hours at work to pay some bills, so I haven't got to program as much as I'd have liked to. I just need a couple days to recoup everything back together and I should be able to get back up to full speed.

Sorry smile.gif

+Quote Post
dhns
post Nov 4 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #3

No problem. I have looked inside and played a little andmust say: already great stuff and so much already working! I even could generate a project.

What I did not really understand is the idea of the UNIX name. My project already has a project name - what is the second one for?

And what are branches and default branches about? I (currently) think in Versions and next releases.

In total: great work!

-- hns

+Quote Post
dz
post Nov 4 2004, 01:28 AM
Post #4

~

Differences between project name and unixname

Say you wrote a program called "Zaurus Robot Manager". The project name would be "Zaurus Robot Manager", while the unixname would be something like "zaurus_robot_manager". It's the name of the file under *nix; without any symbols and such.

Branches

Branches are just an extension to versions. For example, in Zaurus Robot Manager we have a stable version that we've released that runs great. We just made a new version, but it's not as stable. We still want people to test it out, so we create a new branch called "Unstable" and release it in there. When a new user goes to download your program and they're not a developer, they'll go for the Stable branch as opposed to Unstable.

I've used it when developing on Sourceforge and it works out pretty good smile.gif

+Quote Post
dhns
post Nov 4 2004, 03:08 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(dz @ Nov 4 2004, 10:28 AM)
Say you wrote a program called "Zaurus Robot Manager".  The project name would be "Zaurus Robot Manager", while the unixname would be something like "zaurus_robot_manager".  It's the name of the file under *nix; without any symbols and such.

But what is it good for my project? You can put any symbol (besides / and 0x00) into a Unix name - even a blank character.
Typically, I just have a project directory on my development machine with an arbitrary name ("mylargeproject"), a project name in the documentation ("Zaurus Robot Manager") and the name of the installer file (which could be "file3.ipk.gz" - who cares when clicking on the Download link?). I would just like to question if my local project name needs to be made transparent on ZSI.
Branches
Branches are just an extension to versions.  For example, in Zaurus Robot Manager we have a stable version that we've released that runs great.  We just made a new version, but it's not as stable.  We still want people to test it out, so we create a new branch called "Unstable" and release it in there.  When a new user goes to download your program and they're not a developer, they'll go for the Stable branch as opposed to Unstable.

I've used it when developing on Sourceforge and it works out pretty good smile.gif

That sounds great and I might get used to as well. So it is more or less having several separate project release streams (feeds)... Or a single one but allowing to tag individual releases and allowing the user to filter by these tags.

-- hns

+Quote Post
dz
post Nov 4 2004, 04:34 AM
Post #6

~

But what is it good for my project? You can put any symbol (besides / and 0x00) into a Unix name - even a blank character.
Typically, I just have a project directory on my development machine with an arbitrary name ("mylargeproject"), a project name in the documentation ("Zaurus Robot Manager") and the name of the installer file (which could be "file3.ipk.gz" - who cares when clicking on the Download link?). I would just like to question if my local project name needs to be made transparent on ZSI.

Yes you can, but for the sake of the ZSI I dont want any symbols or spaces; it makes for bad business. It's a lot easier to not have to worry about a file having some odd symbol and some spaces. Think of unixname just as your filename. Pure and simple smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 05:38 AM