Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can Mdict Be Ported To Zaurus?, It is an excellent dictionary reader
WM_vs_Linux
post Mar 14 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,205

Mdict is an excellent free dictionary reader with a lot of dictionary databases(i have 50 more but am sure there are more than that). But it is only awailable for MS PPC and smartphone. Here is the link for its official site: http://www.octopus-studio.com/index.en.htm
Can it be ported to mobile linux platform? unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kurochka
post Mar 14 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,740

QUOTE(WM_vs_Linux @ Mar 14 2006, 07:28 AM)
Mdict is an excellent free dictionary reader with a lot of dictionary databases(i have 50 more but am sure there are more than that). But it is only awailable for MS PPC and smartphone. Here is the link for its official site: http://www.octopus-studio.com/index.en.htm
Can it be ported to mobile linux platform? unsure.gif

It appears that Mdict is free for non-commercial use but it is not open source. So, only the developer can port it to Linux if he wants to.

Another approach could be to write a separate Linux (Qtopia/X) reader for the dictionary files if their format is open. If the files are not closed, they could possibly be converted to be used with the existing dictionaries for Zaurus such as Zbedic.

+Quote Post
WM_vs_Linux
post Mar 14 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #3

Yes, If a dictionary reader that reads MDX files can be compiled then all Mdict dictioanries can be used.

+Quote Post
pungipungi
post Mar 14 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,614

QUOTE(WM_vs_Linux @ Mar 14 2006, 08:11 PM)
Yes, If a dictionary reader that reads MDX files can be compiled then all Mdict dictioanries can be used.

It seems that most of the dictionaries are converted from public available formats. Some are converted from freedict. All these are also available in bedic format.
It should also be possible to convert the rest to bedic.

andreas

+Quote Post
WM_vs_Linux
post Mar 15 2006, 04:43 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(pungipungi @ Mar 14 2006, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE(WM_vs_Linux @ Mar 14 2006, 08:11 PM)

It seems that most of the dictionaries are converted from public available formats. Some are converted from freedict. All these are also available in bedic format.
It should also be possible to convert the rest to bedic.

andreas

I wish i can convert all my MDX dictionary files to Bedic files so that i can translate freely between chinese, english, german, latin.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 04:45 AM