OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Used Zaurus, Password Unknown, Zaurus c860 with pdaXrom, need to reset user/password
zoomy
post Apr 13 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,624

Hi,

I have a customer who has given me a great challenge. He picked up a Zaurus c860 off eBay, but the seller doesn't remember the login. I have scoured the internet, and found the user's manual; from there I was able to perform the hard reset, but it still boots to a username/password prompt.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks,
Tim.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stupkid
post Apr 13 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,324

If you intend to use the device why not just re-load the ROM image? The only reason I can think to get around another person's security on a device would be to compromise their data.

+Quote Post
zoomy
post Apr 13 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(stupkid @ Apr 13 2008, 10:40 PM) *
If you intend to use the device why not just re-load the ROM image? The only reason I can think to get around another person's security on a device would be to compromise their data.

Thanks for your advice. I thought I was fairly clear about the circumstances; the device was sold to my client via eBay, and the seller had forgotten his login credentials, therefore the new owner is unable to use the device. Anyhow, how do you reload the ROM image?

+Quote Post
zoomy
post Apr 14 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #4

having already reset the device, probably all I need is the default username and password, but i cannot find this anywhere in the documentation.

+Quote Post
tovarish
post Apr 14 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,233

just a hard reset wont do, you need to install a rom again. google for cacko rom and install it on your client's zaurus. cacko rom provides the best compatibility to the original sharp rom with lots of new features.
alternately you can do a nand restore. you can get the nand restore file here http://downloads.conics.net/pda/zaurus-sl-...iginal-backups/

+Quote Post
zoomy
post Apr 14 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(tovarish @ Apr 14 2008, 10:48 AM) *
just a hard reset wont do, you need to install a rom again. google for cacko rom and install it on your client's zaurus. cacko rom provides the best compatibility to the original sharp rom with lots of new features.
alternately you can do a nand restore. you can get the nand restore file here http://downloads.conics.net/pda/zaurus-sl-...iginal-backups/

Thanks very much for the info. I found the "cacko rom" page, but couldn't find anything compatible with the c860. so I went to the other link you provided, downloaded the ROM update, and copied it to the SD card (I have no idea if this is the correct procedure, I should mention).

Now, not sure what I am doing exactly, but here are the steps I took:

1. Removed battery, then put it back
2. Plugged in power, then held down OK key and power button simultaneously
3. On the screen presented, chose option 4 (Flash/Update) as per PDF manual I am using
4. Chose the SD option, then went ahead with the update. Seemed to be going as expected, but...
5. AAARRGGHH! Boots to user login again, no change.

Please help me! I have never used one of these things, and I have been hired to fix it, but finding no joy.

+Quote Post
zoomy
post Apr 14 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #7

I just did it again and watched carefully for errors. I don't have the exact syntax here, because I didn't have time to write it down exactly, but the error said something like:

/mnt/card/$UPDATE shell not found!!

I am new to Linux and its peculiarities, so I would appreciate some handholding for the correct procedure to follow.

Thanks,
Tim.

+Quote Post
tux
post Apr 14 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 346

cool.gif There are all sorts of possible problems with flashing roms or restoring a nand image. Make sure that the CF card or SD card that you are using has FAT format (FAT16 for preference).

Here is a link to the 860 section on the Trisoft site, 860 restore. What you need are the nand files and to follow the correct procedure for getting into the diagnostic menu. (The backup/restore files might be useful for later insurance when you have the Z working.)

It is much easier to use the power up press OK method. You could use the Cacko roms for which you need the 860 files from either Speculatrix's site, Speculatrix Downloads or from this site Linuxtogo. biggrin.gif

Hope this helps. cool.gif

+Quote Post
deluxe
post Apr 15 2008, 05:14 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,780

i've often heard the advice that the SD or CF card be formatted Fat16 for flashing purposes. All I have to add is that i've flashed cacko 3 times without any issues, using a FAT32 formatted CF card.

+Quote Post
Chero
post Apr 15 2008, 07:20 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,962

Hi,

I'd recommend a NAND restore.
If the device has been running pdaX with a 121Mb root or some kind of debian a normal flash won't work.

Chero.

+Quote Post
zoomy
post Apr 15 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #11

Yahoo! Got it working.

Next problem: I have a Socket Communications Wireless LAN card (CF). I am now beginning my quest to find a driver for it, but if any of you out there can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks to all who've been reading this post, especially Tux who provided the sites for downloading the Cacko firmware.

Tim.

+Quote Post
zmiq2
post Apr 15 2008, 09:30 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,038

I got this one and it's perfectly supported.

Driver should automagicaaly load when you insert the card into the cf slot. When you insert the card, does any led on it start blinking?

+Quote Post
zoomy
post Apr 15 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Apr 15 2008, 10:30 AM) *
I got this one and it's perfectly supported.

Driver should automagicaaly load when you insert the card into the cf slot. When you insert the card, does any led on it start blinking?

You were correct, the driver DID automagically install, and now I have a working Zaurus to hand back to my client. Just brilliant, thanks to you all for helping. One last thing, he is asking for a good HTML editor to use on this thing, is there a good place to find applications for Cacko?

Tim.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 07:22 AM