Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UNDERCLOCK SL-6000L, Yes, you got it right... underclock
GoLinux
post Nov 2 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,531

Is there any safe application available to control the clock of the SL-6000L CPU? I know some exist for the SL-5600 and SL-C7/8xx, has anybody tested one of those on the SL-6000L?

I'm not really interested in overclocking my Z, actually I want to do the opposite when using it for non processor-intensive tasks, like checking Calendar and reading e-books.

If the clock could be slowed down to ~100MHz, there would probably be a measurable impact on battery life. I could use some more of that....

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mjalkut
post Nov 2 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,554

The xscale processor should already be scaling down when it can. Shouldn't it?

+Quote Post
guylhem
post Nov 3 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,365

Intructions on :
http://externe.net/zaurus/modules.php?op=m...=article&sid=18

files on:
externe.net/zaurus/kernel

I use downclocking to use my Z as a cellphone with an audiovox rtm8000

+Quote Post
GoLinux
post Nov 4 2004, 06:56 AM
Post #4

guylhem,

thanks for your suggestion. It looks a little too "radical" though.... If I understand correctly the instructions, you are talking about replacing the kernel.

I'm looking for something a bit less extreme, like a small stand-alone utility.

Searching the internet I found an ipk file for an applet called "freqchangeapplet_0.1_arm.ipk".

Does anybody know if such an applet would work on the SL-6000L with the standard Sharp ROM and if it requires anything else to work? The feed where I found it is for the SLC7/8xx series.

Thanks for any inputs, Paolo.

+Quote Post
tumnus
post Nov 4 2004, 07:17 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 547

If you do not have a virtual file called /proc/cccr_change then you cannot change the clock speed on your 6000.

All the other XScale zauruses need a patched kernel because Sharp didn't enable this feature in their kernel.

+Quote Post
guylhem
post Nov 4 2004, 09:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,365

Correct - you need to flash the kernel anyway. I use my new kernel daily, without any problem (except the one I already have with the old kernel, like qte crashing on some qcop instructions :-)

I recommand using the battery applet instead of freqchangeapplet, which doesn't look good on the 6000 screen. Moreover, the battery applet can be called from a click on the taskbar (no need to start any app) and automatically set the cpu speed to the one you want when some conditions are reached (ex: charging, low battery)

+Quote Post
GoLinux
post Nov 4 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #7

guylhem & tumnus,

so you are saying that, look aside, even the freqchangeapplet_0.1_arm.ipk won't work without the new kernel or the /proc/cccr_change virtual file?

Okay, if I find the courage I'll flash the Z with the new Kernel..... I know, if done with the proper attention is not a big deal. I guess I'm just being too anxious over my new SL-6000L. ohmy.gif

Thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 05:27 AM