OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cradle / Usb Cable Under Windows Nt4?, How do I get my Z to work under NT4?
Fraggy
post Jan 27 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,038

Pls. don't flame me for asking this unsure.gif

Why NT4 in the first place? Well, 'cause my poor old laptop can't handle WinXP (233Mhz, 96Mb RAM and 4Gb HDD). NT4 is a lot better (stabler & cleaner) than win98 and I can't install Linux because I need a M$ OS for the Garmin Mapsources of my gf's GPS. So the lappie is stuck with NT4 Workstation (+SP6a).

I got another box with Linux running, but I'd like to be able to use the Z on the laptop. I know NT4 has problems with USB, so I'll forget about that (or is it possible?).

But how about the serial port?
I got a SerialoZThinCable USB. With 2 converters on my laptops serial port (SERIAL to PS2 and PS2 to USB) I can plug the usb cable from my Z into the serial port of my laptop. In theory, this should work...

But now how do I get QTopia Desktop to see my Z???? With USB I had to install the USB drivers! Don't I need any drivers with a serial connection? In QTopia Desktop, I've set "PDA connection method" serial, but no go... items in synch menu stay grayed out...

Am I doing something wrong? Anybody has experience with Z on NT4?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
doseas
post Jan 27 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9

NT4 doesn't officially support USB devices. There is a company that makes an unofficial driver for USB on NT4. When I installed it, I could then see the Zaurus using USBview. However, the installer that Sharp provides for the sync software looks at the OS and says "Sorry, this doesn't work on Windows NT". I never bothered trying to get around it, since I went ahead and upgraded my PC to Windows 2000.

You may want to see if your laptop can handle Win2K. If not, perhaps a 'lite' version of Linux??

Another way to go may be peer-to-peer over WiFi...

As far as syncing over serial, I think that it can be done. Search this board for more info on how to set it up.

+Quote Post
Fraggy
post Jan 30 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,038

I found a thread on this forum with a long list of instructions on how to get the sync to work on NT4, but it didn't work for me...

Well, I guess I'll have to use my other boxes for now, 'cause I don't wanna spend too much time on this now.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

JM.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 03:46 AM