Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Someone Trod On My Zaurus, Opie-reader dev just got more difficult
TimW
post Jun 29 2007, 06:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,065

I think opie-reader development may be stalled for a while since I no longer have a Zaurus. I took it along with me to an athletics meet to support my daughter (it was a long time between her races so I needed something to read) and someone stepped on it.

Whoops, no more screen sad.gif

I've managed to get hold of an old iPaq. If I can get Opie running on that I'll be okay but ATM it won't even turn on. If I can't get anything going on that I won't be able to justify the cost of a new Zaurus so...

Mind you, I need a new phone, I wonder if I can persuade my wife that a Greenphone would be a good idea? biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kurochka
post Jun 29 2007, 07:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,740

QUOTE(TimW @ Jun 29 2007, 06:44 AM)
I think opie-reader development may be stalled for a while since I no longer have a Zaurus. I took it along with me to an athletics meet to support my daughter (it was a long time between her races so I needed something to read) and someone stepped on it.

Whoops, no more screen  sad.gif

I've managed to get hold of an old iPaq. If I can get Opie running on that I'll be okay but ATM it won't even turn on. If I can't get anything going on that I won't be able to justify the cost of a new Zaurus so...

Mind you, I need a new phone, I wonder if I can persuade my wife that a Greenphone would be a good idea?  biggrin.gif

Tim, I could donate about $50. Then, we need other people willing to donate for a new Zaurus for you. pricejapan has c1000 for $310/E235

Anybody else?

+Quote Post
gr8ful
post Jun 29 2007, 09:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,307

I pledge $25. Love Opie-Reader.

+Quote Post
Snappy
post Jun 29 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,633

Will you take a 5500? Does not have charger ... I'm using *it* on another thingie .... tongue.gif

I'll be happy to send it to you. smile.gif

+Quote Post
rolf
post Jun 30 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,884

QUOTE(TimW @ Jun 29 2007, 04:44 PM)
Mind you, I need a new phone, I wonder if I can persuade my wife that a Greenphone would be a good idea?  biggrin.gif

idea 1) Trolltech is giving the Greenphone away for free
idea 2) get an Openmoko phone. They have just been announced for shipment

+Quote Post
TimW
post Jul 2 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #6

Wow! Thanks for the offers guys, but the problem is not so much *having* the money, but *justifying* the money...and if I can't justify spending my money, I certainly can't justify spending yours biggrin.gif

And thanks for the offer of the SL5500, but I'm in the UK - could be a bit pricey sending stuff that far ohmy.gif

Anyway, I've got a working ipaq on lone so that I can finish off the current phase which shouldn't take too long.

After that, I may have a better idea of what device to get next. I'm making some enquiries re the Greenphone. I'm not sure I fancy the Openmoko route. It seems to rely on the Openembedded environment which is something that I have never managed to get working over my limited bandwidth connection to the internet. At least with the Greenphone you can just download an SDK and have everything working - plus it is largely Zaurus compatible biggrin.gif .

+Quote Post
Snappy
post Jul 2 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,633

Cool Tim! ... glad you got something to work on ... smile.gif

My offer still stands if you need it, though you are right, the shipment itself could possibly get you a refurbed or used 5500! wink.gif ... ...

+Quote Post
craigtyson
post Jul 4 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,698

Tim

Sorry to hear about your Z. I hope you've managed to get your data off of it (or user the backup I know we all do regulary right ;0)

I'm in the UK and have a 5500 which is sitting in a draw, if you need it its yours. Or setup a paypall tag and Im sure all your users would be happy to chip in. I know I've asked you to put up a paypal tag before, as your reader is one of the most used applications on my Z. (I read alot)

Cheers

and let me know if you need that 5500 (currently flashed with tkc rom)

+Quote Post
koen
post Jul 4 2007, 03:40 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(TimW @ Jun 29 2007, 02:44 PM)

Whoops, no more screen  sad.gif

Michael Krelin ported opie-reader to QT4/x11, so you don't need opie for it anymore, just an Xserver. The patch for that is in OE, 'bitbake uqtreader' to get an installable ipkg.

+Quote Post
griswald
post Jul 4 2007, 04:07 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,022

One possibility - go the "virtualization route" and try Virtera. I know they have clsoed down, but I think iit is still possible to get hold of the software:-
http://www.virtera.com/

+Quote Post
TimW
post Jul 4 2007, 05:41 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(koen @ Jul 4 2007, 11:40 AM)
Michael Krelin ported opie-reader to QT4/x11, so you don't need opie for it anymore, just an Xserver. The patch for that is in OE, 'bitbake uqtreader' to get an installable ipkg.

I'm not sure how this helps me because:

1) I don't have X11 running running on any device.

2) I don't have any device.

3) Even if I did, I can't run OE to do the build.

I am running a QT4 version on my Mac but it isn't as good as having it on a handheld device...especially when commuting on the "Tube".

+Quote Post
TimW
post Jul 4 2007, 05:47 AM
Post #12

Thanks to everyone for all the offers.

The ipaq is working out okay so I'm back in business biggrin.gif (in direct contradiction to what I just posted - I was just making a point...)

I should have a new version out very soon now. There isn't a lot new in it, just a roll-up of all the accumulated fixes, better buffering of very large files for the compressed formats, and a bit of eye candy which is fun to play with but will probably be turned off by everyone...

+Quote Post
koen
post Jul 4 2007, 05:55 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(TimW @ Jul 4 2007, 01:41 PM)
3) Even if I did, I can't run OE to do the build.

I am running a QT4 version on my Mac but it isn't as good as having it on a handheld device...especially when commuting on the "Tube".

You contradict yourself: either you can't run OE or you don't have a mac.

+Quote Post
TimW
post Jul 4 2007, 05:56 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(craigtyson @ Jul 4 2007, 10:53 AM)
Sorry to hear about your Z.  I hope you've managed to get your data off of it (or user the backup I know we all do regulary right ;0)

It was an SL5000 - therefore it was pretty much guaranteed to be running "Home on SD" which means I had no problem getting my data off it despite never, ever having done a single back-up. biggrin.gif

Sometimes limited memory is a good thing wink.gif

I'm doing okay with the ipaq, though I do miss the keyboard. Thanks for the offer, though.

+Quote Post
TimW
post Jul 4 2007, 05:58 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(koen @ Jul 4 2007, 01:55 PM)
You contradict yourself: either you can't run OE or you don't have a mac.

Or I don't have broadband?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 08:25 PM