3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Distro To Try, First
InSearchOf
post Jun 7 2007, 07:06 AM
Post #31

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

Well Fedora 7 just came out with a new release last week... I will be loading that on my work laptop in hopefully a few hours.

Late
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Jun 7 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,575

QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Jun 7 2007, 10:06 AM)
Well Fedora 7 just came out with a new release last week... I will be loading that on my work laptop in hopefully a few hours.

Late

I'm not a big fan of Fedora.

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Jun 7 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 10,575

Which release of Arch is the recent "stable" release? 2007.50 or 0.8?

+Quote Post
kopsis
post Jun 7 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3,880

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jun 7 2007, 02:49 PM)
Which release of Arch is the recent "stable" release? 2007.50 or 0.8?

"Duke" (2007.05) is the latest "stable" release. It's worth noting that Arch uses a "rolling" release approach, so the "stable" releases are just snapshots of the stable base repository a convenient points in time. The first thing to do after an install is a package update to pick up any changes since the release was built.

With Arch new packages (or new versions of existing packages) are first released into a "testing" repository and then rolled into stable "ad hoc" when testing feedback indicates there are no major problems. This is a lot different than the "entire testing repository replaces stable at some fixed date" approach that Debian uses. As a result, "stable" gets updates that are more than just bug fixes on a very regular basis.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jun 7 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 6,806

actually arch sounds like somthnig worth trying, i had plans for fedora core 7 on the kohjinsha as i finds its out of the bok experince to be quite polished even if it is lacking in some areas (havent yet tried the new release) but perhaps i might put arch on thier instead

have even given openbsd some thought

+Quote Post
adf
post Jun 7 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jun 8 2007, 06:47 AM)
actually arch sounds like somthnig worth trying, i had plans for fedora core 7 on the kohjinsha as i finds its out of the bok experince to be quite polished even if it is lacking in some areas (havent yet tried the new release) but perhaps i might put arch on thier instead

have even given openbsd some thought

Fedora? really? I gave up on it around core 3. Done a little playing with Vector--that might be nice on your Kosh, it is fairly optimized.

+Quote Post
vputz
post Jun 8 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 4,529

Sorry to hear you had a bad Gentoo experience! I keep trying other distros and always come back to Gentoo when I need something to 'just work'--so I'm surprised that it did so poorly for you. Ah well.

Myself, I just can't love debian-based installs. I use them if I need to get something up and running fast (just put together a 'spare parts' computer to freecycle and threw Ubuntu on it), but it always seems like I somehow manage to get the package database wedged and then it's toast as far as upgrades go. I can NOT figure out how to unwedge a broken debian. No matter how many iterations of "dpkg -f" or wotever, I always wind up having to reinstall.

So it's gentoo for me. I do notice that a lot of folks on the Gentoo boards seem to like Arch, though, so it's probably worth looking at. And if you are satisfied with stable debian, deb's probably not bad either.

+Quote Post
adf
post Jun 8 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(vputz @ Jun 8 2007, 02:57 PM)
Sorry to hear you had a bad Gentoo experience!  I keep trying other distros and always come back to Gentoo when I need something to 'just work'--so I'm surprised that it did so poorly for you.  Ah well.

Myself, I just can't love debian-based installs.  I use them if I need to get something up and running fast (just put together a 'spare parts' computer to freecycle and threw Ubuntu on it), but it always seems like I somehow manage to get the package database wedged and then it's toast as far as upgrades go.  I can NOT figure out how to unwedge a broken debian.  No matter how many iterations of "dpkg -f" or wotever, I always wind up having to reinstall.

So it's gentoo for me.  I do notice that a lot of folks on the Gentoo boards seem to like Arch, though, so it's probably worth looking at.  And if you are satisfied with stable debian, deb's probably not bad either.

Funny-- I don't seem to have that problem with the debian package database at all--but it plagues me on rpm based systems. Haven't tried gentoo yet...

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jun 9 2007, 02:28 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 6,806

funny i havent ever had that problem with RPMs

but all in all i dont really care ethire way, under the hood they all act the same, if i chose fedora for the laptop it wolud be because i dont need to do that much more to get it laptop ready, debian for servers because it has a good security policy and gentoo for some of its packages

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 08:02 PM