OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ! Multisync And Gentoo Linux Warning !
dys
post Jan 18 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 29
Joined: 2-December 03
Member No.: 1,026



Hi all,
Haven't posted here for quite a while but thought I would give people a heads up on a problem I encountered with Gentoo Linux and multisync so hopefully they can avoid the annoyance / waste of time i didn't wink.gif

If multisync is installed from portage (emerge -v multisync) then the multisync source that is fetched and compiled is the 0.82 source NOT the newer 0.82-1 source. As far as I have found out the multisync author posted 0.82 source, realised there was a bug and very quickly posted newer source (named 0.82-1). The Gentoo ebuild however doesn't take account of this and gets the older, buggy source and builds that. While it appears that multi sync works fine, it has problems with the opie/openzaurus plugin and fails to sync at all. See post from multisync user list Multisync users mailing list post and the (as yet still unresolved) bug post at gentoo Gentoo bug tracker (link to ebuild patch there as well).

Before I found this info I spent quite a loooooooong time changing ROMS, recompiling the (what I thought was the stable relese) source, dumping network packets to see what commands were being sent and generally pulling my hair out in annoyance! (If anyone is interested the network dumps showed the zaurus complaing about unregistered channels, and thus refusing to flush() the relevent apps)
As soon as I grabed the newer 0.82-1 source everything went swimmingly and I could sync with evolution.

Hope this can saved others some hours of palying about, when only a recompile is needed smile.gif

Oh and Gentoo, this bug has been around for aaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeessssss can someone please fix the portage tree as the patch is so simple its silly.

dys
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
DaveAnderson
post Jan 19 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #2





Group: Members
Posts: 100
Joined: 16-August 04
Member No.: 4,299



I didn't avoid wasting any time but you did steer me towards the solution. I too had the same problem and thanks to your post, I found the answer. Thank you!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
dys
post Jan 27 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #3





Group: Members
Posts: 29
Joined: 2-December 03
Member No.: 1,026



Just to finish the thread gentoo now finally has an updated ebuild which fixes the problems described above. app-pda/multisync-0.83_20050115.

dys
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
dys
post Jan 27 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #4





Group: Members
Posts: 29
Joined: 2-December 03
Member No.: 1,026



Thought it was to good to be true wink.gif

To get the opie plugin to compile USE="opie" must be passed to emerge, everything compiles without error but when you start up multisync the 'opie' plugin is mysteriously absent !
Looking in /usr/lib/multisync the opie modules have indeed been built but the base .so for libopie_sync (and infact libirmc_sync) are missing - meaning they can't be loaded by multisync.

Solution:

CODE
ln -s libopie_sync.0.0.0 libopie_sync.so

(And the same for libirmc_sync if needed)

Now multisync is a happy bunny.

Again, hopes this can save some ppl some wasted time.

Oh, I went to file a bug report at gentoo but someone had got there before me wink.gif Bug Report

dys
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2014 - 03:24 AM