3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zaurus Kexecboot-enabled Kernels, Graphical bootmenu for Zaurus
ant
post Nov 2 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,270

Please download an image for your Zaurus at http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/narcissus
Those images contain in /boot a kernel, an icon and a boot.cfg which you can adapt.

Regards

Ant
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xamindar
post Nov 2 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 2,368

QUOTE(koan @ Nov 2 2010, 03:42 PM) *
Hi Xamindar,

I think you should take a break and chill out for a bit. You can't expect things to work seamlessly when they are not really aimed at Joe User. As soon as you reflash you are on the road to being a hacker...
Oh I'm chill. I just put my zaurus back to what it used to be and everything is fine. smile.gif I'm sorry I sound harsh. It is frustrating to have people post updates like this but leave out important information that is required to get it working.
Why don't you get on the mailing list and relate your experiences there ? I am sure they would appreciate feedback directly from a tester. (I don't know who user ant is IRL). http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/zaurus-devel/
I'm not sure they would. They seem to be expecting me to be running Angstrom. I have never been able to get it working, have you?
Documentation is always the last thing to get written. If you read the mailing list archives it looks like they just want feedback to see what works and what doesn't at this stage. Plenty of things seems to be not working.
We are talking at least a couple of notes or examples of what files it is looking for to boot. That is hardly time consuming documentation. Thanks for the mail archive tip, I'll scan through it some time for any information.
I think that what is on your flash is up to you, you don't need Sharp to supply new data. I expect though that your Sharp ROM is configured to be on flash so removing it is not an option. I am guessing that for some reason scanning jffs is slow; my understanding is that kexec is searching for bootable kernels. It would be nice if there was an option in one of the config files to disable scanning of flash.

Yeah, I just realized this topic is under the "Angstrom & Openzaurus" sub-category on the forums. Maybe he assumed I was running Angstrom. I honestly would be willing to give Angstrom another try but last time I did I had a hard time finding a way to install it onto an SD card and boot into it. But anyway, yes, it would be a very nice option to be able to disable the internal flash scan. I can't think of any reason someone would have a kernel on the internal flash for it to scan.

+Quote Post
koan
post Nov 3 2010, 02:40 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,025

QUOTE(xamindar @ Nov 3 2010, 12:02 PM) *
They seem to be expecting me to be running Angstrom. I have never been able to get it working, have you?

I'm too busy working on other projects but I wanted to give this a try. It's great to hear someone is still working on new kernels for the Zaurus and that people like you are trying them out and reporting back here.

I can't think of any reason someone would have a kernel on the internal flash for it to scan.

Because you can ?

It should probably boot quicker from internal flash and you don't need a memory card from a cold boot.

+Quote Post
ant
post Feb 18 2013, 08:48 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 2,270

Update 2013:

note there is a decently updated set of kexecboot-kernels for Zaurus at kexecboot.org.

Cheers

Ant

+Quote Post
koan
post Mar 11 2013, 03:58 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 2,025

I missed this when you posted it. I hope to try it out soon.

Good work ant.

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Apr 12 2013, 05:41 AM
Post #36

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

wow, you guys are still around!

Late

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Apr 12 2013, 07:05 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Apr 12 2013, 01:41 PM) *
wow, you guys are still around!

Late

yeah, I'm still alive. I've moved on, had an HTC DesireZ (aka G2), then HTC Doubleshot (still have; aka T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide). I also have a Galaxy Note2. Am still hoping for a proper keyboard dock for it, Brando said they'd be making one but that was months ago.

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Apr 12 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #38

I've moved on to become an Apple Fanboy. I do iOS development now and I'm about 6 months away from putting an app in the AppStore.

Late

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Apr 22 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Apr 13 2013, 05:05 AM) *
I've moved on to become an Apple Fanboy. I do iOS development now and I'm about 6 months away from putting an app in the AppStore.

Late

I'm waiting for my first macbook and who knows, I might actually like apple products. This is going to be my first so I hope it will be fun, otherwise it will be back to Windoze and Android.

+Quote Post
dougeeebear
post Apr 28 2013, 07:59 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 3,959

I'm still kicking.. I check this site out from time to time.. but not much going on here.
I'm on android now, and my SL-5500 and SL-C1000 are just gathering dust.
Nice to see some of you still check in.

+Quote Post
sdjf
post May 4 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 8,551

Hey, I'm still using both my sl5500 and sl6000 daily!!! And they both are attached to my Raspberry Pi, one using usbd and the other via ethernet.

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post May 27 2013, 04:38 PM
Post #42

Thats cool that the zaurii are still useful to you guys. Keep embedded Linux alive!

wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 04:17 AM