2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wpa-gui Backported To Sharprom
harvell
post Mar 8 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,831

Thanks for the heads up Speculatrix. I've setup wpa in cacko before when I know the ssid and passphrase. However I'm hoping that this gui that enodr backported will give us a better automated process. The problem I'm having is that if you don't know the ssid and enter it in the wpa_supplicant.conf file it will not let the daemon keep running. Or at least kick into the /var/run directory.

Correct me if I'm wrong but theoretically we should be able to kick off the wpa_supplicant daemon in a "ap-scan" mode and then use the gui to find service set id's. From there use the gui to enter in a passphrase and have that edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file to ensure our passphrases our encrypted. Am I right with this thought process?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Mar 8 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #17

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

wpa supplicant has options to wait for the device (wifi0) to appear, and I imagine you can dynamically add new entries to wpa_supplicant.conf and "hup" it (kill -1 $PID_OF_WPASUPP).

the way I think wireless tools in suse works is to set a blank ssid, get the card to scan, identify whether wep/wpa or none and ask for a passphrase, and then it creates a specific /var/run/wpa_supplicant.conf.wlan0 or similar and starts off wpasupp with that as config file

I haven't tried the wpa gui applet in this thread, I am already happy to hack the wlan-ng.conf and /etc/wpa~~ file

+Quote Post
harvell
post Mar 21 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #18

Has any one achieved success with this gui besides Enodr???

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Apr 25 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,821

"Bump"
Was there ever an IPK made for this very useful GUI tool?

I have edited my files as shown in harvell's Cacko blog at tyrannozaurus.
http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/?q=cacko

But this GUI program would very handy if I need to do this again, as I'll need to look up how to edit these files again if I start over with a new flash.

+Quote Post
harvell
post Apr 27 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Apr 25 2007, 08:44 AM)
"Bump"
Was there ever an IPK made for this very useful GUI tool?

I have edited my files as shown in harvell's Cacko blog at tyrannozaurus.
http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/?q=cacko

But this GUI program would very handy if I need to do this again, as I'll need to look up how to edit these files again if I start over with a new flash.

Every time I tried it there was an error about starting the interface. Do you think he somehow used or needed to use qcop settings? I could never get it working.

+Quote Post
danboid
post May 3 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 8,789

Where can I download an .ipk of this cacko wpa setup tool?

+Quote Post
sdjf
post May 19 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,551

QUOTE(danboid @ May 3 2007, 01:57 AM)
Where can I download an .ipk of this cacko wpa setup tool?

Just see post #1 on page 1 of this thread. wink.gif

EDIT: Oops...I see it may not be an ipk yet. sad.gif

sdjf

+Quote Post
gaarder
post Jul 11 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 16,894

There is no ipk but a compiled binary file for wpa-gui is in the source package. All you need to do is copy it to your bin path.

I am still trying to get it to connect with wpa-supplicant under Cacko 1.23 tho.

+Quote Post
gaarder
post Jul 13 2007, 08:04 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,894

I have prepared an ipkg.

http://168weedon.com/zaurus/wpa_gui_0.5.6_arm.ipk

By installing this ipkg, your existing /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf will be backed up at /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.bak, and a "default" wpa_supplicant.conf will be created.

The gui itself is not capable of doing much... it can connect to wpa_supplicant and monitor some of its status. I cannot get the modify bit to work too, modifying directly wpa_supplicant.conf is probably the faster way to make wpa work on zaurus.

I can't compile it on my zaurus, otherwise I would have delve deeper into the code.

Installed together with the ipk is also a script wpa_sup.sh that starts wpa_supplicant, use at your own risk.

+Quote Post
jfv
post Jul 13 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 202

Thanks for the ipk. If I want to install this on an original Sharp ROM (not cacko) which files do I need and where do I get them? I guess I'll need at least the wpa_supplicant binary.

Thanks

EDIT: I found online wpa_supplicant ipks for pdaxrom and openzaurus, should I try either of these?

+Quote Post
mikew
post May 30 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,402

Speculatrix

Just retired & decided to see if I could get my Zaurus 3200 with Cacko ROM using your setting but they did not work for me.

Also had a look at the wifi settings are stored in files in /home/zaurus/Applications/Network/modules but could not see anything relevant.

I used Hex PSK so left out the double quotes.

Any suggestions?

Mike Woodward

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jun 6 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #27

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(mikew @ May 30 2008, 07:33 PM) *
Speculatrix

Just retired & decided to see if I could get my Zaurus 3200 with Cacko ROM using your setting but they did not work for me.

er, I'm a bit lost. basically, to do wpa manually you add the WPA=y to /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts file into the relevant section - take a backup copy of the file beforehand. The qtopia config app can overwrite that file so be prepared to put it back.

then edit/create the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file.

you see, cacko hasn't modified the original sharp qtopia app to have an option for WPA as there's no source code, hence adding the flag manually; the actual network up/down stuff is shell scripts so cacko picks up the WPA flag and takes appropriate action.

HTH
Paul

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2014 - 08:32 PM