OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Anyone Use Swapd For Swap File Management?, I could use a little help here.
xamindar
post May 28 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,368

I got a package here:
http://www.iaccarino.de/silvio/zaurusstuff.htm

It is supposed to make and mount a swap file when the memory gets to a certain point. It appears to be loaded and it creates the directory to put the swap files in (/mnt/card/swap) but it isn't making any swap files. I checked the config file (/etc/swapd.conf) and it is pointing to my mkswap program. So I don't know what the problem could be.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aki
post May 28 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,061

I did use that package in the past with mixed results. I don't recall the details of the config (/etc/swapd.conf, I think?), but the swap files are created as programs request more memory than available. So, the situation you describe seems normal.

I originally installed it to be able to run ethereal, which needed 80MB free to start-up. Swapd did allow me to run it, so it worked as advertised. In your case, you could try to run opera and open lots of windows.

Now I have a 6GB microdrive, so I just created a permanent swap partition and uninstalled swapd.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
xamindar
post May 28 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #3

That's what I did. I opened up every program on my zaurus until it started poping up that window asking me to close some programs. In the swapd.conf fime it is supposed to create a swap file and mount it when there is less than 16mb of memory free. I had like 6mb free and it didnt work.

What do you mean you had mixed results? Does that mean it didn't work part of the time?

+Quote Post
adf
post May 28 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(xamindar @ May 28 2006, 11:57 PM)
That's what I did.  I opened up every program on my zaurus until it started poping up that window asking me to close some programs.  In the swapd.conf fime it is supposed to create a swap file and mount it when there is less than 16mb of memory free.  I had like 6mb free and it didnt work.

What do you mean you had mixed results?  Does that mean it didn't work part of the time?

huh. It worked fine for me. there was something about wanting a directory for the swapfiles, though... I can't quite remeber. Maybe you'll see an error message along those lines?

+Quote Post
aki
post May 29 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,061

QUOTE(xamindar @ May 28 2006, 11:57 PM)
That's what I did.  I opened up every program on my zaurus until it started poping up that window asking me to close some programs.  In the swapd.conf fime it is supposed to create a swap file and mount it when there is less than 16mb of memory free.  I had like 6mb free and it didnt work.

What do you mean you had mixed results?  Does that mean it didn't work part of the time?

By mixed results, I mean it seems to work as intended, but, as in your experience, sometimes it seems like there's something wrong. It just seems clumsy and overcomplicated for the task.

The microdrive/swap partition setup, on the other hand, just works. No "out of memory" popup window.

+Quote Post
xamindar
post May 30 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #6

Cool, I think I got it working. I set the swap location to /hdd3/swap. It always keeps at least one swap mounted though. Is there any way to get it to unmount all swap partitions when I don't need them?

+Quote Post
xamindar
post May 31 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #7

It seems to work, it just doesn't start up when the zaurus boots. I guess it's no biggie. I just wonder why. Which run level is the default? Is it rc5?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 10:00 AM