Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keyboards?, What keyboards work with the 6000L
scheck.r
post Dec 29 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,776

Hi bakkeo,

I have the thinkoutside IR keyboard and it works great on my 6000 using drivers located here at http://mammon.us/irk-zaurus-j_0.10.1_arm.ipk

Enjoy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gdog
post Jan 3 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 4,111

QUOTE(mitchrl @ Dec 24 2004, 11:43 AM)
Here is a nice keyboard that I purchased off of Ebay for just under $27 w/shipping:

PSK-3100U

It's about 8 3/4" x 4 1/8" and about 1/2 " at its thickest. My 6000 recognized it instantly when I plugged it into the usb port. Interestingly enough, QT has already mapped some of the function keys to various actions (various PIMs, rotation, start voice recording, etc).
Robert

Robert,

I'm interested in picking one of these up, but can you tell me if the keys map out correctly? I've found when I use an HP USB keyboard I have that many of the keys either are not mapped correctly, or do not produce anything at all. Have you tried all of the keys on the 3100U?

Thanks,

gdog

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Jan 4 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 1,633

rmako,

I bought one of these zippy minis and it should be coming soon. Do you have an idea of how much power the illumination draws? I ask because I'm considering the expasion sleeve or a battery extender for extra power. I think this will be great for typing in bed at night.

+Quote Post
mitchrl
post Jan 5 2005, 03:46 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 2,340

QUOTE(gdog @ Jan 3 2005, 06:49 PM)
I'm interested in picking one of these up, but can you tell me if the keys map out correctly? I've found when I use an HP USB keyboard I have that many of the keys either are not mapped correctly, or do not produce anything at all. Have you tried all of the keys on the 3100U?

Thanks,

gdog

I don't think you will have much luck finding a keyboard that will map the way you think it should. AFAICT, mapping is dependent on the kernel and QT on the 6000.

However, I took a look at the code for usbkbd.o, which I think is the usb keyboard input module that is loaded when the usb hotplug identifies that a usb keyboard has been plugged in.

There is a keycode matrix that is specific to the tosa (6000) architecture when usbkbd.c is compiled. I swapped the codes for the standard one and did a modules make. I copied the new usbkbd.o to my zaurus (I renamed the old one first) and plugged in the keyboard.

This did change the keys. For example, instead of "F1" toggling the backlight, the "F" key is now the backlight toggle.

Interesting enough, by unloading the modules usbkbd and hid, and then loading the original usbkbd (different name tho) and reloading hid, I was able to return to the original keyboard mapping.

I'm going to play with the scancodes and see if I can come up with a mapping that is workable with this keyboard. I'll let you know how it goes.
Robert

+Quote Post
vputz
post Jan 5 2005, 06:51 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 4,529

That's some good news there. Are you using the OE system and patching files or just have the toolchain working elsewhere? I'd love to get this working, particularly if it's just a reloadable kernel module (ie no reflash), as would many 6k users.

-->VPutz

+Quote Post
nilch
post Jan 7 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,034

has anyone located a FOLDABLE USB keyboard like the pockettop
which is nice and easy to carry in your coat pocket with the zaurus ?

Plus I have been on the lookout for the PSK keyboard (which seems the smallest of them all) on Ebay, but tough luck as of now - nothing on ebay.

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Jan 7 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 1,633

Just to let you guys know that the zippy is awsome for typing in the dark. Most of the normal alphamuneric characters map properly, but it is the symbolic characters that map closer to the 6000's thumboard. Hitting f11 is the same as the fn on the thumboard. Plugging in the keyboard does not require any reboots. It just works. I didn't notice much more power drawn with the keyboard illuminated, but then again wifi was on. Maybe I'll experiment again tonight with wifi off.

+Quote Post
rmako
post Jan 9 2005, 09:11 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 5,873

Agree with comments about the Zippy. It works well right out of the box and the lighted keys are great for night use. I have not tried every keymapping but for just email, webstuff, and taking notes at work it runs fine.

As long as what text I type winds up on screen I am happy.

Typing this with a Zippy on my 6000l!

Bob Makowsky

+Quote Post
gdog
post Jan 13 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 4,111

QUOTE(scheck.r @ Dec 29 2004, 08:17 PM)
Hi bakkeo,

I have the thinkoutside IR keyboard and it works great on my 6000 using drivers located here at http://mammon.us/irk-zaurus-j_0.10.1_arm.ipk

Enjoy

But do ALL of the keys map out correctly?

Thanks,

gdog

+Quote Post
the_oak
post Jan 13 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 1,794

One more vote for Pocketop IR keyboard. Got mine off eBay. It arrived today, and works great. No key mapping problems. I don't see a "tab" key though....
Other than that, I like it very much!

+Quote Post
scheck.r
post Jan 15 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #41

Hi gdog,

But do ALL of the keys map out correctly?

Most of the keys are working (letters, numbers, arrows).
Some specific functions don't.

I will post a list of what is not working on mine.

+Quote Post
scheck.r
post Jan 16 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #42

Here is a list of what is working or not for me on the 6000

Unshifted: everything works
(all letters and ponctuations)
shifted: everything works
(numbers and other ponctuations)
left, right arrows -> select caracter after caracter
Fn blue: evrything works (all shortcut keys opening PIM apps)
Apps changes from one tab to another
not working: with L ; z x c v b n m , .
Fn green: everything works (many other symbols)
not working: ; , . which are the currency symbols
arrows for page up and down
Ctrl: work: a -> select all
z -> undo
x,c,v -> cut,copy,paste
e -> goes to the end of the line
left, right arrows -> moves word by word
cmd:work: q -> zoom out
w -> zoom in
L -> opens unicode window
c -> takes a screenshot
b -> opens sharp email client
alt: works the same as F10 in windows
crtl + shift:
e -> select from the pointer to the end of the line
left, right arrows -> select word by word

This is using IRK 0.10.1, I didn't try IRK 0.11

I am very statisfied so far

+Quote Post
cosmos7
post Jan 17 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,838

mitch could you post your module?

+Quote Post
nilch
post Jan 21 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 1,034

The PSK-3100U USB keyboard works beautifully on the Zaurus 6000.

Its in fact much smaller than what I had thought (seeing the pictures)
(so much that I was expecting the delivery at my door (expecting a largish package), but then saw that the postman had stuffed it along with the regular junk paper mail in my little hole of a mail box).

Length wise its just a little longer than the 6000 itself, so I can easily carry it in my carry bag with the Zaurus. Its the same size in length as the MicroInnovation IR foldable keyboard (opened up) and a bit broader but thinner and very sleek. The keys tactile feel is pretty good - resistive and soft.

Haven't had any problems with unmapped keys or whatever till now (in my short test).
BTW - got it from ebay for $24 with shipping.

Edit : There are some keys which are not mapped - like the @ sign - alwaus useful when doing emails and the open and close brackets '(' , ')' are mapped wrongly to the previous keys and so an.

Attached File  img_1578.jpg ( 129.13K ) Number of downloads: 206

+Quote Post
RobbH
post Jan 23 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 6,196

QUOTE(nilch @ Jan 21 2005, 02:40 PM)
Edit : There are some keys which are not mapped - like the @ sign - alwaus useful when doing emails and the open and close brackets '(' , ')'  are mapped wrongly to the previous keys and so an.

Judging from other reports and my experience, this seems to be SOP with unmodified Sharp roms. Letters and numbers map correctly, but some punctuation marks and other symbols do not.

I've put together a configuration .xml file for Keyhelper that, as far as I can tell, deals with the major issues, at least for users of US English keyboards. It is attached, and should be renamed "keyhelper.xml". I've only tested it with two keyboards. All marks and symbols seemed to be in the right place, except the pipe symbol and backslash. The Z does not recognize that key, so those symbols are mapped to the quote/apostrophe key, activated by shift/control, and shift alone, respectively.

More information on Keyhelper can be found in the ZUG How-To documents, under General/Applications.

I have NOT tested what happens if you try to use the internal keyboard with this mapping enabled.

I am very much a newbie here, so corrections are welcome!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  keyhelper.xml.txt ( 2.8K ) Number of downloads: 97

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 05:20 AM