Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How about iBiblio Hosting?
akpoff
post Oct 10 2004, 06:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,569

I've done some research to see how the ZUG could host the ZSI without killing Michael's server/bandwidth. Two options came up and they both involve ibiblio. ibiblio is the current incarnation of the old sunsite at the university of North Carolina. If you've ever downloaded a file from sourceforge.net you've been presented with mirror choices that include iBiblio.

Checking how-to-submit it looks like the threshold is low -- just make your submissions using the Linux Software Map description format and upload. No muss, no fuss. ibiblio already mirror numerous Linux distributions like Fedora, gentoo.org and others. I think our feed will be accepted as well. The ZUG could still host the ZSI itself but then delegate downloading to ibiblio which automagically mirrors the collection. Sweet!

Another option, perhaps even more radical, would be to move the whole of the ZUG to ibiblio. ibiblio is dedicated to making knowledge available for free. Some sites already hosted there are groklaw.net, the Creative Commons project and others. The collection policy implies the ZUG would be welcome since we compliment the alread existing collection policy for free and open source software. See the FAQ for more information about what's available at ibiblio as far as hosting goes.

Now to be clear I'm not suggesting we consider moving as a reflection on the current ZUG or Michael's stewardship. Both are FANTASTIC!!! I'm just raising the possibility as a way to reduce costs and host the ZUG with other similar projects. I'm also quite content to just host the files from the ZSI at ibiblio or not use it at all. I'm presenting options and extending the dialogue.

--Aaron
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dz
post Oct 10 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #2

~

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,667

I don't mind ibiblio as a mirror at all. I'll have to look into it for the ZSI2.

I dont think we should rely on them though. We all know how easy it is for a piece of software to be lost if it is only hosted in one place. It'd be nice if we could get several mirrors set up.

Very good thinking though smile.gif Keep these ideas coming, as they can only help..

+Quote Post
guylhem
post Oct 27 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,365

ibiblio is more reliable than anything. Total backup, fast connection, dedicated teams of admins. externe.net is hosted there.

akpoff, a mirror of killefiz has been attempted. it'll be announced on externe.net soon (tried to set it up with killefiz admin - it was never completed, but since killefiz didn't really change lately it should still be quite helpful.)

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Nov 2 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(akpoff @ Oct 10 2004, 07:08 AM)
I've done some research to see how the ZUG could host the ZSI without killing Michael's server/bandwidth.  Two options came up and they both involve ibiblio.  ibiblio is the current incarnation of the old sunsite at the university of North Carolina.  If you've ever downloaded a file from sourceforge.net you've been presented with mirror choices that include iBiblio.

Checking how-to-submit it looks like the threshold is low -- just make your submissions using the Linux Software Map description format and upload.  No muss, no fuss.  ibiblio already mirror numerous Linux distributions like Fedora, gentoo.org and others.  I think our feed will be accepted as well.  The ZUG could still host the ZSI itself but then delegate downloading to ibiblio which automagically mirrors the collection.  Sweet!

Another option, perhaps even more radical, would be to move the whole of the ZUG to ibiblio.  ibiblio is dedicated to making knowledge available for free.  Some sites already hosted there are groklaw.net, the Creative Commons project and others.  The collection policy implies the ZUG would be welcome since we compliment the alread existing collection policy for free and open source software.  See the FAQ for more information about what's available at ibiblio as far as hosting goes.

Now to be clear I'm not suggesting we consider moving as a reflection on the current ZUG or Michael's stewardship.  Both are FANTASTIC!!!  I'm just raising the possibility as a way to reduce costs and host the ZUG with other similar projects.  I'm also quite content to just host the files from the ZSI at ibiblio or not use it at all.  I'm presenting options and extending the dialogue.

--Aaron

how did I miss this post until now? sorry... october was a terrible month (work related stuff)...

anyway, I *really* appreciate the time and research you've done to help the zug... that's really cool. and I don't take any offense to these suggestions, any way I can save money (and put it to better use elsewhere, donate it to pdaxrom, oz, etc.) would be great.

I will defintely read their FAQ to see if we could move the hosting there... I could always keep my physical servers at home, and mirror/backup the sites incase of disaster/failure.

I'm off to do some reading....

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
akpoff
post Nov 3 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(offroadgeek @ Nov 2 2004, 09:38 PM)
how did I miss this post until now?  sorry... october was a terrible month (work related stuff)...

anyway, I *really* appreciate the time and research you've done to help the zug... that's really cool.  and I don't take any offense to these suggestions, any way I can save money (and put it to better use elsewhere, donate it to pdaxrom, oz, etc.) would be great.

I will defintely read their FAQ to see if we could move the hosting there... I could always keep my physical servers at home, and mirror/backup the sites incase of disaster/failure.

I'm off to do some reading....

Thanks again!

I heard back from the ibiblio guys. Right now they don't have capacity for us but asked to check back in a month or so. Do you have any idea how much space we're talking about to give them some help with capacity planning?

Aaron

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Nov 3 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(akpoff @ Nov 3 2004, 08:29 PM)
I heard back from the ibiblio guys. Right now they don't have capacity for us but asked to check back in a month or so. Do you have any idea how much space we're talking about to give them some help with capacity planning?

Aaron

cool.. thanks. waiting a month won't be bad... I emailed them last night inquiring about the service, I'm sure I'll get the same response you did.

did you get a proper contact within ibiblio? if so, could you forward it to me, that way I can follow up with them with the zug data volume in a month?

many thanks!

michael

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 05:11 AM