OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on freenode.net | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

There are 76 online users browsing:
0 members and 76 visitors

> Latest Discussions
depscribe @ 01-19-18 13:39
Read: 56   Comments: 0
speculatrix @ 01-19-18 11:23
Read: 54   Comments: 0
Varti @ 01-18-18 07:13
Read: 71   Comments: 3
Varti @ 01-17-18 19:31
Read: 55   Comments: 2
Varti @ 01-17-18 18:22
Read: 256   Comments: 6
SimonL @ 01-15-18 02:20
Read: 240   Comments: 5
speculatrix @ 01-14-18 04:46
Read: 103   Comments: 0
speculatrix @ 01-14-18 04:40
Read: 324   Comments: 7
Pdajah @ 01-12-18 10:46
Read: 432   Comments: 10
speculatrix @ 01-12-18 08:24
Read: 273   Comments: 8
Grench @ 01-11-18 15:07
Read: 501   Comments: 7
Sir J David @ 01-11-18 03:30
Read: 357   Comments: 6
Pdajah @ 01-10-18 16:38
Read: 194   Comments: 3
speculatrix @ 01-10-18 06:25
Read: 182   Comments: 3
ArchiMark @ 01-10-18 06:09
Read: 300   Comments: 7

> Maintenance warning - Https support - Friday 19th January - 10:00 - 10:15 CET
Posted by Varti - 01-18-18 07:13 - 3 comments
Attached Image

The entire forum will be tomorrow offline for a shorter period:

Friday 19th January, from 10:00 AM to 10:15 AM CET (9:00 - 9:15 GMT, 4:00 - 4:15 EST, 1:00 - 1:15 PST)

as we'll switch the forum to the secure Https protocol. Once the maintenance period will be over, please use the secure address of the forum:

https://www.oesf.org

and update any bookmark you might have saved.

Thanks and regards,
Varti
Read 71 times - last comment by Varti   

> A new portal dedicated to the Gemini
Posted by Varti - 01-17-18 19:31 - 2 comments
Mike Halsey, owner of the Gemini Planet Facebook page, has opened a new web page called Gemini Planet:

Attached Image

https://geminiplanet.com/

This fan page gathers all the news regarding the Gemini PDA, with sections covering tips and trick, reviews, app recommendations and surveys. We have partnered with them, and our forum appears as a link on the Gemini Planet's Forums section, together with a link to the #planetgemini channel. Thanks Mike for the links!

Varti
Read 55 times - last comment by Varti   

> Forum log-in problems with mobile android chrome data saver
Posted by speculatrix - 01-14-18 04:46 - 0 comments

Chrome on android has a feature to reduce data usage, this must use Google to proxy requests, almost certainly using a load balancer.

This appears to cause your ip address to change every time, and causes this forum to fail to log you in.

If you can't log-in, please check you're not using a data saver or other proxy device which causes your ip address to change rapidly.

We'll investigate this. We'll also be looking to switch to https too.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,
Paul
Read 103 times - make a comment   

> New RSS feeds for the Gemini forums
Posted by Varti - 01-8-18 07:00 - 0 comments
Attached Image

Hi,

I have created four new RSS feeds for the existing Gemini forums (Hardware, Linux, Android and General Discussion). They can be accessed by clicking on the RSS logo on the bottom left corner of the page (see the attached screengrab), then by selecting the desired forum.

The URL that will be opened can be then copy-pasted into any RSS reader (I have successfully tested them with feedly.com). Unfortunately I have not found any way to merge all the four feeds into one, since each feed can only follow a single forum, but at least in Feedly you can group them into one single feed. Please let me know if you have any problem with the feeds, or if you'd like additional feeds.

Thanks to scops for the RSS support idea.

Attached Image

Varti
Read 185 times - make a comment   

> GPD Win 2 price revealed, Indiegogo campaign to be launched mid January
Posted by Varti - 01-4-18 16:34 - 1 comments
A bit old news already, but I've found it only today:

"(...)GPD has announced that the GPD Win 2 will sell for $599 during an Indiegogo campaign set to launch on or around January 15th. When the little computer hits retail stores in April, itíll sell for around $699."(...)

Attached Image

https://liliputing.com/2017/12/gpd-win-2-ha...o-campaign.html

Varti
Read 179 times - last comment by speculatrix   

> Video interview with Planet at CES 2018 - questions welcomed!
Posted by Varti - 01-3-18 06:00 - 9 comments
Attached Image
The user Charbax has announced on the #planetgemini channel that he'll make a video interview to the Planet Computers' representatives at the forthcoming CES show in Las Vegas. He'll shot the Gemini in action and perform some tests, such as a keyboard typing speed one. He's inviting everyone here to post any question regarding the Gemini, which he'll forward to the Planet guys during the interview.

Charbax has his own channel on Youtube, where he posts interviews and videos blogs about interesting new devices released during the CES shows, such as the GPD Win video last year.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Charbax/

Varti
Read 645 times - last comment by jutleys   

> The future of ELSI
Posted by Varti - 12-7-17 05:12 - 3 comments
Hi,

as you probably know, ELSI (www.elsix.org) has been offline since some years now. I have checked on the Ibiblio server, and apparently the account has been deleted, probably due to missing maintenance and/or lack of feedback from the admins. I have now contacted dz, which I believe was the account's owner, to ask him if he has been contacted by the server admins for the matter. I'll try to get a mirror of the account and the database (from ibiblio if necessary), so that at least we don't lose any data.

Regarding the future of the site, my idea was to install a new web interface to host all the data from ELSI, a local copy of all the archives I manage to find, plus the feeds and webpage mirrors I'm collecting, in order to have a central repository for all the software for Zaurus and other, similar devices. I'd take a look at what free PHP file portals are available, and modify it if necessary to suit our needs. I'd keep the name ELSI (Embedded Linux Software Linux), since I'd be targetting the Zaurus and other devices (we already host here an OpenSimpad feed, for example). I'll ask if it will be possible to reopen the account, and if we'll get it up again I'll try to put the old ELSI back online in the meanwhile.

Here's a mirror of the first page of ELSI on archive.org, in case you'd like to see how it looked like:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160112003201/http://elsix.org/

Stay tuned.
Varti
Read 1,305 times - last comment by Varti   

> Request for data about newer CF cards
Posted by Varti - 11-27-17 00:30 - 1 comments
[Edit: post moved to the News forum to make it more visible]

Greguu, Alarmz's developer, is preparing a patch for the support of newer CF memory cards on Zaurus, which he'll submit to the Linux kernel once it will be ready. Each card, or family of cards, needs to be listed in a database (either inside pata_pcmcia.c or ide-cs.c) in order to be possible to mount it. The last update to it was done in 2008, so all the more recent cards cannot be recognised anymore. Before he submits the patch he'd like to fill the list with as many new entries as possible.

What we'll like to ask you is, in case you have one or more of such cards which cannot be mounted, to post in this thread the makers, names and sizes of these cards and the output of
CODE
pccardctl info

or, if pccardctl isn't available,
CODE
cat /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/1.0/card_id
cat /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/1.0/manf_id
cat /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/1.0/modalias

This can be done either on a Zaurus (preferably running the latest Alarmz, which includes pccardctl) or on any PC with a CF card reader. Note that the Zaurus C3x00 models have two CF slots, 0.0 and 1.0, the external one is labeled 1.0. On other models, such as the C1000, the external CF slot is the only one available and it is labeled as 0.0.

As an example, this is the output of an (already supported) SanDisk 1GB CompactFlash SDCFJ card on my C1000:
CODE
[root@alarm ~]# pccardctl info
PRODID_1="SanDisk"
PRODID_2="SDP"
PRODID_3="5/3 0.6"
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0045,0401
FUNCID=4

[root@alarm ~]# cat /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/0.0/card_id
0x0401

[root@alarm ~]# cat /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/0.0/manf_id
0x0045

[root@alarm ~]# cat /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/0.0/modalias
pcmcia:m0045c0401f04fn00pfn00pa7A954BD9pb91844B1CpcAAC42958pd00000000

Please note that only *unsupported*, i.e. unmountable CF cards should be reported.

In the meanwhile, in order to use an unknown card there's a way to make the kernel accept it via
CODE
echo -n 1 > /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/1.0/allow_func_id_match

Note that this is a temporary solution and it might not work with your card.

Thanks for your help.
Varti
Read 822 times - last comment by Varti   

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 07:10 PM