Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poodle Kernel 2.6 Preview
CoreDump
post May 21 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,094

Hey all,

At http://hentges.net/tmp/Poodle-Kernel-2.6/ you'll find an experimental Opie image for Poodle with kernel 2.6.

Be advised that a few kernel related things are still broken (sound, SD/MMC and probably USB) but this preview should give you a good understanding of what is to come smile.gif

If you find problems with Opie that are related to the switch from kernel 2.4 to 2.6 please let me know but check the Kernel 2.6 Status Page before posting.

Have fun biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steven999
post May 21 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 557

Hi CoreDump,

I just wanted to say I'm really impressed and happy with the progress I am reading about, and very happy that I donated money towards the 5600 you now have. Since the 5600 is my primary PDA I am not able to help test currently since certain bugs that are listed are too critical for me not to be able to use, but am looking forward to trying this out once things get a little more stable.

Best of luck and bravo on your speedy work!
steven

QUOTE(CoreDump @ May 21 2006, 07:27 AM)
Hey all,

At http://hentges.net/tmp/Poodle-Kernel-2.6/ you'll find an experimental Opie image for Poodle with kernel 2.6.

Be advised that a few kernel related things are still broken (sound, SD/MMC and probably USB) but this preview should give you a good understanding of what is to come  smile.gif

If you find problems with Opie that are related to the switch from kernel 2.4 to 2.6 please let me know but check the Kernel 2.6 Status Page before posting.

Have fun biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ced
post May 21 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,104

@CoreDump -> SD works for me... card: 256M Vikings

for example Calendar+Address+Backspace doesn't work on GPE from .dev

I don't know if you notice this but if you put the device in suspend/resume mode or change the backlight settings then the screen flicker for few seconds with horizontal lines...

Something I've played this weekend is creating a swap file via NBD, I need to post the .bb file... so far it works great with 2.6.

+Quote Post
CoreDump
post May 22 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(ced @ May 22 2006, 08:53 AM)
@CoreDump ->  SD works for me... card: 256M Vikings

for example Calendar+Address+Backspace doesn't work on GPE from .dev

GPE in .dev + .oz is missing a few changesets, that's why I only uploaded Opie so far smile.gif

I don't know if you notice this but if you put the device in suspend/resume mode or change the backlight settings then the screen flicker for few seconds with horizontal lines...

Yep, getting that here as well.

Something I've played this weekend is creating a swap file via NBD, I need to post the .bb file... so far it works great with 2.6.

Sound nifty but also dog slow biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jinidog
post May 22 2006, 03:48 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,985

In what does that image differ from the normal 2.4 image?
I thought you can use a normal image with the right modules in /lib/modules

+Quote Post
Hrw
post May 22 2006, 04:20 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,413

Jinidog: there was some fixes done in OPIE recently to get poodle support fixed. Also some changes to rootfs content.

+Quote Post
wrenhal
post Jun 10 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,552

Any specific place to look for current dated updates by the 2 developers doing Poodle work? The status page on OZ gets changed but no dated information to tell when things are getting fixed. Maybe a blog with just little notes regarding what got fixed when and by whom and if other bugs are found where to report them to and where the latest test releases can be downloaded.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Hrw
post Jun 10 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,413

In short: CoreDump cleaned most of userspace problems and some of kernel part. Now we need to go into kernel work where we do not have too many people.

+Quote Post
Greg2
post Jul 18 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 792

I'm going to paste CoreDump's post from the 5x00 General discussions here so the OZ users can see it:
It took a bit longer than expected but here it is:
http://hentges.net/tmp/Poodle-Kernel-2.6/17-JUL-06/

The GPE version needs hotkey bindings (edit /etc/keylaunchrc for that)
Sound drivers are installed but currently you'll get nasty distortions after any sound is played.

There is a alsa-mixer configuration which enables perfect sound (after rebooting) since RP's sound worked just fine. After he installed my asound.state he got caught by the distortions, too. Sadly he overwrote his working asound.state.

Soo....if you manage to find the working settings (using alsamixer) let me know =)
from here:
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=135461

I'm listening to mp3s with xmms on my poodle and they sound very good.

I've installed: alsa-conf, alsa-settings, alsa-utils-alsactl, alsa-utils-alsamixer, alsa-utils-aplay... opened alsamixer and turned the volumn down.

Thanks CoreDump smile.gif

Greg

+Quote Post
CoreDump
post Jul 18 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jul 18 2006, 10:51 PM)
I'm going to paste CoreDump's post from the 5x00 General discussions here so the OZ users can see it:
It took a bit longer than expected but here it is:
http://hentges.net/tmp/Poodle-Kernel-2.6/17-JUL-06/

The GPE version needs hotkey bindings (edit /etc/keylaunchrc for that)
Sound drivers are installed but currently you'll get nasty distortions after any sound is played.

There is a alsa-mixer configuration which enables perfect sound (after rebooting) since RP's sound worked just fine. After he installed my asound.state he got caught by the distortions, too. Sadly he overwrote his working asound.state.

Soo....if you manage to find the working settings (using alsamixer) let me know =)
from here:
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=135461

I'm listening to mp3s with xmms on my poodle and they sound very good.

I've installed: alsa-conf, alsa-settings, alsa-utils-alsactl, alsa-utils-alsamixer, alsa-utils-aplay... opened alsamixer and turned the volumn down.

Thanks CoreDump smile.gif

Greg

You're welcome biggrin.gif RP is the true hero as he reworked poodles sound driver.

You're not getting static noise at the end of the song / file?
Do me a favor and do a "cat /usr/share/sounds/beep.raw > /dev/dsp" and tell me if you hear a sound w/ distortions after the sound has finished playing.

If not, a copy of your /etc/asound.state would be appreciated smile.gif

+Quote Post
Greg2
post Jul 18 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 792

QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jul 18 2006, 05:06 PM)

no
Do me a favor and do a "cat /usr/share/sounds/beep.raw > /dev/dsp" and tell me if you hear a sound w/ distortions after the sound has finished playing.

root@poodle:/# cat /usr/share/sounds/beep.raw > /dev/dsp
-sh: cannot create /dev/dsp: Device
or resource busy
root@poodle:/#

The first test I had the screen taps and key clicks on, they work also smile.gif

The second worked fine with no static or distortions after the beep.

Here's a copy of my asound.state:
Attached File(s)
Attached File  asound.state.zip ( 682bytes ) Number of downloads: 46

+Quote Post
hvontres
post Jul 18 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,121

In both the opie and gpe versions, the g_ether kernel modules were missing after the initial install. After I added it in, USB works great. smile.gif

+Quote Post
CoreDump
post Jul 19 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(hvontres @ Jul 19 2006, 12:19 AM)
In both the opie and gpe versions, the g_ether kernel modules were missing after the initial install. After I added it in, USB works great. smile.gif

Once OE is writeable again, I'll have a look at poodle-2.6.conf. There are quite a few differences between the .dev and .oz version (.dev installs more modules etc).

Thanks for letting me know smile.gif

+Quote Post
CoreDump
post Jul 19 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Greg2 @ Jul 18 2006, 11:46 PM)
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Jul 18 2006, 05:06 PM)

no

-sh: cannot create /dev/dsp: Device
or resource busy
root@poodle:/#

The first test I had the screen taps and key clicks on, they work also smile.gif

The second worked fine with no static or distortions after the beep.

Here's a copy of my asound.state:

Thanks for your config, I'll test it once I get poodle to compile correctly again.

+Quote Post
fooman
post Jul 19 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,345

Hi,

I wanted to provide a bit of feedback regarding the poodle 2.6 kernel. I hope this is the best place to put it:

After I installed cardfs for Opie, SDL applications didn't work anymore. They gave me this error:

Unable to init SDL: No available video device

So I removed the libsdl-1.2-0 that came with cardfs and installed the one from the 3.5.4.1 feed and then it worked again.

Also, prboom-opie in the 3.5.4.1 feed seems to be a duplicate of the prboom.ipk. prboom-opie from the 3.5.4 feed is the same version so I installed it and it works OK.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 05:13 PM