2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Full-sized Usb Port On Sl-cxx00?
speculatrix
post Feb 8 2007, 08:27 AM
Post #16

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

why not just use the right type of cable with mini on one end, full size on the other? just a thought.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Feb 8 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,575

The main point here is that I don't like carrying a cable or adapter with me to use USB devices. I was thinking of epoxying the port to the case to make it withstand the stress, and I think this would work since I'm thinking of using wires to connect the port to the PCB (so I'll still be able to dismantle the Z).

As for the full-sized port taking less stress, it would simply have less leverage on it. Any adaptor or cable has to have a solid connector on the Z's end that creates a longer arm (the USB device), which can exert more force on the port with less exerted on the USB device.

+Quote Post
HoloVector
post Feb 8 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 9,420

QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Feb 8 2007, 07:48 AM)
I have a 12" usb extension that is very flexible.
I have it plugged into the usb host and there is not any strain at all on the usb port.
I would much rather carry a cable than take a chance on damaging the unit.

Also, from what I see, the only thing holding the usb port in place is the fact that it is connected to the pcb.
So how would a full sized port would withstand any more stress than the mini port?

Yes, the connector is soldered to the PCB by 4 anchors (highlighted in blue) as you can see in the attached jpg from albertr's site.

The full size USB connector is larger then the original so you will only be able to, if you are lucky, use two of the existing anchor holes on one side. That will cause the connector to flex too much and put too much pressure on the the usb leads to the PCB (which shouldn't be used for anchoring in the first place).

The full-size connector will eventually sheer off from the stress. To avoid that you would need to precision drill new anchor holes in the PCB to accomodate the the full-size connector but, since the PCB is quite dense on a Z you risk puncturing a trace and possibly FUBARing you Z. Not worth it in my opinion.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Host_Closeup.jpg ( 36.69K ) Number of downloads: 65

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Feb 13 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 6,806

actually i cut my case so that i could put 2 full sized connectors above the CF port, the only problem i had was that i couldnt get the thing to boot off of the CF card slot, it was wired to the internal microdrive slot (OZ). it just needed a bit more hacking and i could have got it working

a also had it set up for an antenna where the stylus was. must get back to finishing that now that i have a dremel to tidy things up a bit

now that i have hosting and a camera i should really start documenting some of my hacking

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Feb 13 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,127

QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Feb 13 2007, 11:33 PM)
now that i have hosting and a camera i should really start documenting some of my hacking

please do! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Feb 14 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #21

QUOTE(Antikx @ Feb 14 2007, 01:25 AM)

please do! smile.gif

I second that!

On a different note, it looks like the mini-! connecter on the Z has 5 pins while that normal one has 4. How would the the connection to the Z look (where would each of the normal USB pins connect in relation to where the mini-A pins were connected)?

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Feb 14 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,570

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Feb 14 2007, 06:03 AM)

please do! smile.gif

I second that!

On a different note, it looks like the mini-! connecter on the Z has 5 pins while that normal one has 4. How would the the connection to the Z look (where would each of the normal USB pins connect in relation to where the mini-A pins were connected)?

That 5th pin tells the z what kind of connector you have plugged in.

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Feb 14 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #23

QUOTE(BarryW @ Feb 14 2007, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Feb 14 2007, 06:03 AM)

please do! smile.gif

I second that!

That 5th pin tells the z what kind of connector you have plugged in.

So I ignore it (connect pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2, etc.), as all things connected will be clients and it will be a host?

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Feb 14 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Feb 14 2007, 12:33 AM)
actually i cut my case so that i could put 2 full sized connectors above the CF port

Could you post some pictures, both external and internal (if possible)?

Thanks.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 12:35 PM