Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Emacs 23 W/ Xft And Cjk Support!, Full packages, PIM-suite, Newbie docs
ZDevil
post Mar 17 2007, 07:00 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,882

Thanks, zi99y.
Now I am making the adjustments. Will upload new packages in an hour or so.
Still one question about the pim package: My postinst in the package symlinks the four modes from /usr/share/emacs/23.0.0/lisp/ to ~/elisp/... . It seems planner by default will look up to this path.
But ipkg remove will not clean up those symlinks in $HOME. Any good suggestion to (un)installation smoother? smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 17 2007, 07:11 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(zi99y @ Mar 17 2007, 04:51 PM)
ZDevil, this is great, I've never cracked the hard surface of Emacs before, but now I see it is a pretty amazing bit of software. Still just trying to learn how it all works thanks to your helpful posts.

One thing to point out: you must create ~/plans not ~/Plans or planner will give errors.

Also the PIM suite will not work if you are not root because the permissions are set to drwxr--r-- you will need grant execute to the following folders:

/usr/share/emacs/23.0.0/lisp/bbdb
/usr/share/emacs/23.0.0/lisp/remember
/usr/share/emacs/23.0.0/lisp/muse
/usr/share/emacs/23.0.0/lisp/planner

The "~/Plans" is a typo in the demo notes. The config script .emacs already specifies "~/plans". Now corrected.

What permission setting is most appropriate here? 755 or ?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
tombraider
post Mar 17 2007, 09:05 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 5,590

I can't download any of your forum-linked packages. Just get an index.html file or index.php file or a new web page that opens up with gibberish. I've tried with Opera browser and Internet Explorer...same problem in both.

Is there a problem with forum downloads today? Problem with my Windows XP setup? huh.gif

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 14 2007, 08:30 AM)
Here are the packages. Please test. Have fun!  smile.gif

Again (!), please change the filenames from emacs_base... to emacs-base... and so on.

emacs-base: This is the minimal install.

[attachment=4149:attachment]

emacs-extra: Some important addons. Recommended.

[attachment=4150:attachment]

emacs-lisp: Big bunch of elisp files (.el and .elc).

[attachment=4152:attachment]

emacs-leim: Many input methods for various international character scripts. CJK supported.  wink.gif

[attachment=4151:attachment]

emacs-doc: tutorials, man pages, info pages [Note: the info pages failed to generate because of lack of makeinfo at build time; i have just built a texinfo which contains makeinfo (in "New Package Announcement"); will build a new doc package soon]

[attachment=4153:attachment]

+Quote Post
zi99y
post Mar 17 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 10,709

Yes, I used 755 * and it works, although most files won't need execute but the directories will....

Another minor problem is that installing an ipk as root will create links to /home/root/elisp (~ = /home/root). So these will need manually copied to your actual home dir. This may not be a problem if you use sudo wen installing though.

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 17 2007, 09:32 AM
Post #35

The download issue seems to be some bug in the forum. I also fail to download other attachments and even images elsewhere. dry.gif

Both Firefox and Safari on my macbook also cannot download the stuff. A discussion has just started in the site admin section.

I will change the location of the symlinks from ~/elisp to $HOME/elisp then.
Thanks for the input! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 17 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #36

UPDATES

emacs-base and emacs-extra packages: (very slightly adjusted)
Moved DOC-23.0.0 from the emacs-extra package to the emacs-base package. The file is required to get the documentation on a function defined in C (C-h f function RET) so it's better to include it in the base package. [Thanks for pgas's suggestion]
Those who have already installed both can skip these newly uploaded packages.

emacs-pim-suite 1.2 (fixed)
Fixed execute permissions of the (sub-)directories of muse, bbdb, remember and planner in /usr/share/emacs/23.0.0/lisp/ for non-root user access. [Thanks for zi99y's input]
(I now realized I may have messed up the permissions of these files when copying back and forth between my Z and my office XP box yesterday. biggrin.gif )

emacs-lisp-source (new!)
Added a new emacs-lisp-source (optional) package to facilitate learning elisp. [Thanks for pgas' suggestion]

All files can be downloaded from this post AND this post. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 17 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #37

Strange. I also can only download the files as "index.html". But renaming them to the original names work just fine.

+Quote Post
zi99y
post Mar 17 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #38

Great stuff ZD! I've tested the new ipks and the links mentioned before are now fine. However there is a problem with the emacs-doc package that it doesn't automatically ipkg-link when it's not installed on /

Running "ipkg-link add emacs-doc" will fix this.

I've spent a while learning emacs now but I've still not found the key or command to activate the dropdown menus at the top - any ideas?

+Quote Post
tanjian2
post Mar 17 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 12,390

QUOTE(zi99y @ Mar 17 2007, 11:14 PM)
Great stuff ZD! I've tested the new ipks and the links mentioned before are now fine. However there is a problem with the emacs-doc package that it doesn't automatically ipkg-link when it's not installed on /

Running "ipkg-link add emacs-doc" will fix this.

I've spent a while learning emacs now but I've still not found the key or command to activate the dropdown menus at the top - any ideas?

C-h i gives the emacs manual (info) which is a great source of all things emacs.

F10 or M-` (Esc ` - thats a backtick - on the /, key on the 3000 but I'm not sure how to get one) usually gets the menu (via menu-bar-open) .. or manually do M-x tmm-menubar which gives a text version of the menubar - must admit I have used emacs for many years and rarely do I use the menubar - cept for the tools menu and the mode-specific menus which you get in major modes - never even seen the toolbar......

Welcome to the world of emacs

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 17 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(zi99y @ Mar 18 2007, 01:14 AM)
Great stuff ZD! I've tested the new ipks and the links mentioned before are now fine. However there is a problem with the emacs-doc package that it doesn't automatically ipkg-link when it's not installed on /  Running "ipkg-link add emacs-doc" will fix this.

I just test this and can verify that the emacs-doc package doesn't misbehave. Would it be possible that the filename is something like "emacs_doc..." and not "emacs-doc..." (the forum upload bug)

QUOTE(zi99y @ Mar 18 2007, 01:14 AM)

AFAIK, that menu bar will become active only when emacs is running on an X-windows server display. I have yet to figure out a way to have it not display when running in console. smile.gif

[Edit x 2: I was (half) wrong. Thanks tanjian2 for the hint! Just do a "M-`" (the ` is the 3rd key to the right of Ctrl wink.gif ]

Tomorrow morning I am going to Germany for a week. I hope I will still have time and access to here.

As I have said, I am a very very green user of Emacs with just a few days of experience. But I do get surprised by its straightforwardness and ease of use, as soon as i got used to just the C(trl) and M(eta) key operations. The complexities mainly come from the virtually unlimited possibilities of the "modes" (analogous to softwares in an OS). And the rest is completely customizable (changing things in one single file ~/.emacs).

For now I am concentrating on implementing GTD and PIM in Planner Mode. It is surely great if we users can share their experience here.

My initial impression is: with Emacs (and Vim too) Z becomes a truly powerful beast. cool.gif

This post has been edited by ZDevil: Mar 17 2007, 04:01 PM

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 17 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #41

Just came across a nice quick reference here: http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/documentation/unix/emacs.shtml

Now I get a nice way to kill time during travel with the Emacs tutorial. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
zi99y
post Mar 17 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #42

Ok thanks for the tips- I as actuallly curious about the drop down menu rather than the text menu page but thats fine. I don't get why there's a menu there if you can't use it....

Anyhow, it is very amazing, I just found out about vip-mode and viper-mode which allow you to emulate vi, pretty nice smile.gif

+Quote Post
tanjian2
post Mar 17 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(zi99y @ Mar 18 2007, 12:20 AM)
Ok thanks for the tips- I as actuallly curious about the drop down menu rather than the text menu page but thats fine. I don't get why there's a menu there if you can't use it....

Anyhow, it is very amazing, I just found out about vip-mode and viper-mode which allow you to emulate vi, pretty nice smile.gif

M-x menu-bar-mode will toggle the menu on and off. You can use the menu the problem is that the Zaurus doesn't have a F10 key available, and I still can't find backtick (`) - despite what ZD says ( blink.gif ).

The vip stuff is there to ease the transition of those from the 'darkside' to emacs light wink.gif

+Quote Post
tanjian2
post Mar 17 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 18 2007, 12:11 AM)
Just came across a nice quick reference here: http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/documentation/unix/emacs.shtml

Now I get a nice way to kill time during travel with the Emacs tutorial.  rolleyes.gif

C-h i should provide plenty of reading for a reasonable length of a journey..... and C-h t gives you emacs very own tutorial - the best way ever to learn emacs for a beginner - by doing it in emacs..... In fact there is no reason to need anything outside emacs - depending on how much of the info nodes are loaded up.

On my 3000 the 3rd to the right of ctrl is - and @ no sign of a baclktick any where....

Have a safe journey

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Mar 17 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(tanjian2 @ Mar 18 2007, 02:30 AM)
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Mar 18 2007, 12:11 AM)

Now I get a nice way to kill time during travel with the Emacs tutorial.  rolleyes.gif

C-h i should provide plenty of reading for a reasonable length of a journey.....

On my 3000 the 3rd to the right of ctrl is - and @ no sign of a baclktick any where....

Oh yes, C-h i ... and C-h t . No shortage of information.
It's my typo again. I should've said "the SECOND key to the right of Ctrl". tongue.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 01:34 AM