3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exchanged Microdrive With Flash Card (c3000), Speed-up for the C3000
Da_Blitz
post Jul 7 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,806

yeah that should work, you will have to go throgh one of the recovery procedures in this fourm to put the os files back onto the cf but you should be able to do that on your pc or your zaurus, basically you have to un gzip a file to the hdd1 partion,

as for pulling it appart, when pulling off the main pcb it seems difficult and yo might think it will break but if you get it it the right postion then it comes out easily, just watch out that you dont put to much force on those cables and it should come out

i had the same problem and after about an hour i got it appart, when taking the plastic frame around the microdrive out make sure you release the plastic catches around the outside of the pcb
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gdog
post Jul 18 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,111

I take it from the pictures you showed of the C1K that the connector for the microdrive is not present? Too bad that! Wouldn't it be nice to have a 4Gb CF card internally, and a 6Gb microdrive in the CF slot, along with a 1Gb SD card? Can you imagine that? 11Gb in the palm of your hand on a Linux COMPUTER? I love the tech age smile.gif

Regards,

gdog

+Quote Post
icruise
post Jul 18 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,447

You can't do it with the C1K, but the C3X00 can, of course. Actually, the C3X00 has two CF slots, but one of them is internal and is normally only used by the microdrive. There are some Japanese users who have taken an exacto knife to their cases to open up the internal CF slot for other uses. I'm not sure if it works with things like wireless cards (you probably have space issues there, even with the mod). Interesting, but a little drastic.

+Quote Post
polito
post Jul 29 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,344

Unfortunately there's more than just the CF connector missing in the C1000 model. There's the accompanying internal circuitry that drives it missing too. Took a look at the pictures and it sure seems there's quite a few SMD (Surface Mount Device) pieces and lil processor chips missing. sad.gif

+Quote Post
gdog
post Jul 30 2005, 07:30 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 4,111

QUOTE(polito @ Jul 30 2005, 07:51 AM)
Unfortunately there's more than just the CF connector missing in the C1000 model. There's the accompanying internal circuitry that drives it missing too. Took a look at the pictures and it sure seems there's quite a few SMD (Surface Mount Device) pieces and lil processor chips missing. sad.gif

Well that's ok.

I've had about a dozen "PDA"'s over the years and this little C1K is the closest I've come to owning the "perfect" device. With 5Gb between my Microdrive and my SD card I've got some room spare, and until hotspots are everywhere, cheap and secure I don't need on-board connecticity to make it any better than it already is.

I'd still love to see Sharp reenter the US market with a 6Gb internal CF unit, built-in wifi and BT, along with the screen of the 6K. But that's just a fantasy smile.gif

Regards,

gdog

+Quote Post
bdbell
post Sep 3 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 7,801

got my 4 gb cf, all ready to do the switch - but can anyone please tell me how to create or copy the partitions using Windows? Or can I put the microdrive in the cf slot and copy to the new internal cf 4 gb? - what commands?

+Quote Post
martinbogo
post Sep 9 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,930

I've just installed a SanDisk prerelease 6GB CF card as a replacement for the internal microdrive in my SL-C3100.

I do have to admit, having a high speed CF card really does make a difference. So now I have the following configuration:

Internal CF card 6Gb (three partitions, EXT3, EXT3, FAT32 similar to the original config)
External SD card 1Gb (Just for music and such, FAT32 filesystem)
External CF 802.11b card for networking

I'll need to post a picture-by-picture takeapart of the process, since dissasembling the 3100 is a bit tricky, and it's knowledge worth sharing.

Beauty in motion.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Sep 12 2005, 04:14 AM
Post #23

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(martinbogo @ Sep 10 2005, 07:12 AM)
I'll need to post a picture-by-picture takeapart of the process, since dissasembling the 3100 is a bit tricky, and it's knowledge worth sharing.

am looking forward to seeing the photos... epecially to see how much spare space there is inside the C3100, in order to consider whether it'd be possible to squeeze in a bluetooth module!

+Quote Post
GadgetGuy
post Sep 12 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 7,977

QUOTE(martinbogo @ Sep 10 2005, 01:12 AM)

Beauty in motion.

Yes please, that would be very useful to have!!!

+Quote Post
fAXik
post Sep 16 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 8,127

QUOTE(bdbell @ Sep 3 2005, 06:42 PM)
got my 4 gb cf, all ready to do the switch - but can anyone please tell me how to create or copy the partitions using Windows?  Or can I put the microdrive in the cf slot and copy to the new internal cf 4 gb? - what commands?

You can use dd command on your Z. Insert the replacement CF into CF slot and type:
CODE
dd if=/dev/<internal MD device> of=/dev/<flash device>

You may also need to partition card before that (using fdisk) and copy only partitions you wantin the same manner instead of copying the whole MD.

+Quote Post
bdbell
post Sep 17 2005, 05:56 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,801

You can use dd command on your Z. Insert the replacement CF into CF slot and type:
CODE
dd if=/dev/<internal MD device> of=/dev/<flash device>

You may also need to partition card before that (using fdisk) and copy only partitions you wantin the same manner instead of copying the whole MD.

Hi fAXik - sorry that I did not repost that I did get it working already. - been a little busy! I tried pretty much everything (except the command you gave me!).

What finally got things working is re-installing the latest Cacko beta that I have been testing - there is an option to reformat the 'user area' - which I believe got the CF partitioned and formatted correctly - anyway all is well now - and working great!

thanks again for your reply!

Brent

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Jan 13 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 8,821

Sorry to bring an old post back to the top....
I see that 4GB & 6GB cards work. Would this SanDisk 8 GB, 60x Speed Ultra II card work also?
http://www.samys.com/product.php?ItemNo=SANDSDCFH8192R

Jon
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
bam
post Jan 13 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 7,306

dont see any reason why not....

+Quote Post
Omicron
post Jan 19 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,853

SLIGHTLY off -topic, but for those happy with the MD lag, but want more storage, there is currently a deal going on:

Hot Deal ! 8gb Microdrive Cf Ii Card $154 Ar, Free Shipping!! Lowest Price Yet !!

For some people storage size i s more important than sheer speed and battery life, perhaps for those the above would be an option.

+Quote Post
lareya
post Jan 20 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,115

I suppose the 860 can't do this internal upgrade cuz it didn't start with an internal mdrive card? sad.gif

Is there anyway to up the memory?

Lareya

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 08:02 PM