Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compiling For Zubuntu, g++ too slow
walkman
post Mar 6 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,757

Hello,
first of all, thanks a lot for the great Zubuntu distro. What I need just works™ ;-).

This is the first time I am trying to compile something on my Zaurus, which I actually acquired some time ago mainly in order to port my own software to ARM based platform and to play with it. I have a rather small project written in C++ heavily using Boost libraries and packaged with autotools chain. No problem under Zubuntu, configure worked perfectly, even a devel distro build (after I downloaded and compiled libtool2 which went as a breeze - well, pure C). Now the poor gadget is fighting with my code already since 3 hours and still it did not finish crunching the first(!) cpp file. When I check it with g++ -E ..., I can see that the piece after expanding all the macros has 60k+ lines in C++. Well, there are bigger still to come...

What can I do to speed up the compilation process? How do you guys compile large C++ codebases? Overclocking doesn't seem to be an option, so with this speed of progress, if I am lucky, I will probably wait about a week until my smallish program (it has about 5k physical source lines of code) compiles and links.

Is there perhaps some quick and dirty manual for cross-compiling for ARM (in particular Zubuntu 1.0)?

Thanks for any advice,

Peter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cortez
post Mar 6 2009, 04:05 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,380

Always make sure you have a swap partition. You could also try to use distcc, but I prefer using Qemu for doing "native" compilation. For cross compilation use Poky or OpenEmbedded. A manual can be found here

Cheers,
cortez

+Quote Post
walkman
post Mar 9 2009, 12:26 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(cortez @ Mar 6 2009, 01:05 PM) *
Always make sure you have a swap partition. You could also try to use distcc, but I prefer using Qemu for doing "native" compilation.

Thanks a lot. The Qemu option is seems promising.

And thanks for Zubuntu, cortez. This is definitely one of the best pieces I could play with in the last years. Any news from the Ubuntu people?

+Quote Post
tanjian2
post Mar 9 2009, 02:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,390

QUOTE(walkman @ Mar 9 2009, 08:26 AM) *
Always make sure you have a swap partition. You could also try to use distcc, but I prefer using Qemu for doing "native" compilation.

And thanks for Zubuntu, cortez. This is definitely one of the best pieces I could play with in the last years. Any news from the Ubuntu people?

Compilation works albeit slowly on the Zaurus. I have compiled emacs (latest cvs version) - not what I would call a trivial application - in about 2-3 hours from scratch. As Cortez says make sure you have a swap partition or even just a swapfile. Overclocking is currently not compiled into the version of the kernel - but heres hoping someone gets it working again.

+Quote Post
cortez
post Mar 9 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,380

QUOTE(walkman @ Mar 9 2009, 09:26 AM) *

Glad you like it. The 2.6.28 kernel is getting along pretty well. If only I could figure out why the device won't suspend when pressing the on/off button. I'm sooooo close to a solution, but it takes hours and hours of debugging. I still have to test a lot of stuff, like brightness control, sound, ext4 and overclocking, which is compiled in this time smile.gif

+Quote Post
walkman
post Mar 10 2009, 01:10 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(tanjian2 @ Mar 9 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Compilation works albeit slowly on the Zaurus. I have compiled emacs (latest cvs version) - not what I would call a trivial application - in about 2-3 hours from scratch. As Cortez says make sure you have a swap partition or even just a swapfile. Overclocking is currently not compiled into the version of the kernel - but heres hoping someone gets it working again.

Thanks for advice. Well, I have to check how did I install the Zaurus when I come home ;-). Sorry for a dumb question: in the case there's no swap partition, how can I install a swap file?

+Quote Post
tanjian2
post Mar 10 2009, 05:54 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,390

QUOTE(walkman @ Mar 10 2009, 09:10 AM) *
QUOTE(tanjian2 @ Mar 9 2009, 11:43 AM) *

Thanks for advice. Well, I have to check how did I install the Zaurus when I come home ;-). Sorry for a dumb question: in the case there's no swap partition, how can I install a swap file?

Google for Linux swapfile or let me do it for you swapfile wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 02:15 AM