Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Synctoy, A Powertoy From Ms
Snappy
post Oct 25 2007, 08:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,633

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

SyncToy is a free download from MS. It does only one thing: Synchronizing folders, and it does it pretty well.

Simply install it into your PC, setup a folder on your hdd you want to sync with a folder on your z and you are done.

You can also run it in a non-interactive mode, though the UI will still run, showing you what is done.
You do that by running synctoy.exe -r "my label" to run a synchronization pair labelled "my label" or synctoy.exe -r to run all sync pairs that are configured to run.

I currently have it setup and I must say I am using my Z a lot more now. With notepad++ on my notebooks and zedit on my Z, my memo/notes are easily kept in sync with a simply USB cable. smile.gif

I'm in Sync Nirvana ... biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tml
post Oct 25 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,766

QUOTE(MS)
Support for 800x600 screen resolution;

A funny feature for a directory synchronization toy.

You might want to check twice before syncing after summertime-changes if the toy relies on mtimes and doesn't actually check the files' content. The best tool I know for syncing is unison -- even though it has some rough edges.

But what I actually wanted to say/ask: didn't have windows a synchronizing tool from at leas win95 on? I don't know the English name, maybe "brief-case" or something like that.

+Quote Post
Snappy
post Oct 25 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,633

QUOTE(tml @ Oct 26 2007, 03:10 AM) *
QUOTE(MS)
Support for 800x600 screen resolution;

A funny feature for a directory synchronization toy.

You might want to check twice before syncing after summertime-changes if the toy relies on mtimes and doesn't actually check the files' content. The best tool I know for syncing is unison -- even though it has some rough edges.

But what I actually wanted to say/ask: didn't have windows a synchronizing tool from at leas win95 on? I don't know the English name, maybe "brief-case" or something like that.

Aye ... synctoy has an option to check file contents, though that would slow it down a bit. Think it should be doing a hash check or something. smile.gif

And yeah, there was a brief-case thingie, though I rarely if ever hear of anyone use it. It must suck to be the guy who wrote that app. Probably got retrenched by now. sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2014 - 10:18 PM