Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> USB Hotplug Issues, Unrecognized usb devices
mitchrl
post Jul 28 2004, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,340

I've been able to connect and mount almost all sorts of usb storage devices including cameras, hard drives, flash drives, etc with the exception of a simple cf cardreader. From examining dmesg output, the system does not quite make the jump from recognizing the device and loading usb-storage to where it is setup as a scsi device (sdaX).

From what I understand about hotplug, if you have a device that is not properly handled, you can update unusual_devs.h and then recompile the kernel.

This brings up another issue. Has anybody successfully compiled and install the kernel for the 6000 from source? I downloaded the kernel source from Sharp Spacetown but I've yet to make any attempts to work with it. I just noticed that Sharp USA has it also.

Anyway, I was just hoping to hear from anybody that has already struggled with some of these issues. Thanks!

Robert
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitchrl
post Aug 16 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,340

Just to follow up my original post, I was able to add usb device support for an unrecognized cf cardreader.

I downloaded the kernel source for the 6000 from Sharp's Spacetown website. I then downloaded and installed a cross-compiler toolset (thanks Ashitaka!). I realized that I did not need to compile and install the kernel as usb device support is actually in the module usb-storage.o. I updated unusual_devs.h with the appropriate information for the cardreader and then a "make modules".

I copied the new usb-storage.o to my 6000 and attached the cardreader. Examining dmesg showed that the device was properly recognized and I was then able to mount a cf card.

hth,
Robert

+Quote Post
ken
post Nov 3 2004, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,063

Is this on the Sharp ROM? If so, was there anything special you had to do to get the usb flash drive recognized on the OTG connector? I picked up the quick connect which has the usb mini a -> whatever, but haven't yet found whether or not I need to install some software or modify something.

At least, not yet smile.gif

+Quote Post
dlee27
post Nov 3 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,087

QUOTE(ken @ Nov 3 2004, 07:49 PM)
Is this on the Sharp ROM? If so, was there anything special you had to do to get the usb flash drive recognized on the OTG connector? I picked up the quick connect which has the usb mini a -> whatever, but haven't yet found whether or not I need to install some software or modify something.

At least, not yet smile.gif

I also bought QuickConnect usb cable and I was able to mount my Sandisk cruzer mini without any tweaking. It came right up.

+Quote Post
ken
post Nov 3 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #5

If I go into system info, devices, I can see the USB devices appear there. The problem I'm having is how to access the device. I don't know if I'm supposed to do something in particular after that. If I look in /mnt/usbstorage for example, when attaching a pen drive, I don't see it there. I do however, see it say "notavailable"

+Quote Post
dlee27
post Nov 3 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,087

Did you mount it? Something like this:
mount /dev/sda1 -t vfat /mnt/usbstorage

You may want to change /etc/fstab file later to make it easy.

+Quote Post
ken
post Nov 3 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #7

Thanks, I'll try it.

This looks promising:

http://www.dotaster.com/~shuu/linux/usbmgr/

I'm not sure if it's the right tool, but if it is what I think it is, it might make things easier for us.

Appreciate the info.

+Quote Post
ken
post Nov 4 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #8

mitchrl,

>I copied the new usb-storage.o to my 6000 and attached the cardreader. >Examining dmesg showed that the device was properly recognized and I was then >able to mount a cf card.

It sounds like all we need is the usb-storage.o file you compiled (I'm assuming you mean the one in the

/lib/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/

directory).

That sounds painful smile.gif

Card readers tend to read multiple formats. Did each card come up a little differently?

+Quote Post
ken
post Nov 4 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #9

ok, this is cool. I'm using the TRENDnet UR3060E card reader (reads ms, sd, sm, cf). To get cards to be read from it, you do the same mount command, but with slight changes.

To read a cf card:
mount /dev/sdb1 /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage

I dont have other cards to test on it, but I'd expect that it'd just be a matter of using sdc1, sdd1, etc.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th December 2014 - 07:24 AM