3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Browsers
coreilly
post May 13 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,517

Something needs to be done in this area... even dillo would be a blessing. I can't be bothered to compile and the package list is pretty depressing... minimo works.. but just enough to get the latest scores. smile.gif

Firefox is a hog...
minimo is buggy
links+ is text

dillo?
opera?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TronDD
post May 14 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,137

Links+ does support images. Use the -g option. It's still not as complete, visually, as firefox, though.

Did you try Konquerer-embeded? Works well. Hasn't crashed on me yet and is pretty complete on what it can render.

EDIT: Bummer sad.gif As soon as I say konq-e never crashed on me, it crashed. I guess I like links+ the best.

+Quote Post
coreilly
post Sep 16 2006, 07:05 AM
Post #3

mathemajikian and myself have exchanged a few messages regarding the state of web browers in openbsd on the Z... we have come to realize that konq-e (best of the lot) is crap when you get right down to it, we really need opera.

any ideas other than emailing/posting on opera forums about how we can go about getting this done? cause those options have already ended up on the short end of the stick.

other than that my Z is running OBSD great... using the tips from Andy and gen2, it is running almost perfect.. just add SD support and opera and boom, perfection!

btw, gen2, thanks for fvwm2... never even thought to give that a try. so lightweight! smile.gif

+Quote Post
sylvain
post Sep 17 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,300

What is really lacking, IMHO, is the Linux emulation, that would solve the browser problem (allowing Opera to be used), and would also allow a few neat thing to be used, like a java machine.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Sep 17 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(sylvain @ Sep 18 2006, 06:29 AM)
What is really lacking, IMHO, is the Linux emulation, that would solve the browser problem (allowing Opera to be used), and would also allow a few neat thing to be used, like a java machine.

Java on BSD on Zaurus? blink.gif
I think linux emulation would be great smile.gif
I am currently thinking about putting OpenBSD onto my Z since pdaXrom and OZ have disappointed me very much...
and links with -g is actually quite good

+Quote Post
mathemajikian
post Sep 18 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,349

Java Issue:
I have been able to use the jikes java compiler and jamVM on my Zaurii but classpath-0.91 will no longer build correctly. I get out of swap errors during the build process. I guess 82M of swap is not enough. To run even the simplist java apps we need classpath to build correctly on the Z. If someone has a classpath-0.91 package please post it.

http://ports.openbsd.nu/lang/jamvm

http://ports.openbsd.nu/lang/classpath

http://ports.openbsd.nu/lang/jikes

Browser Issue:
I have uninstalled konq-e since it is really starting to show its age and have been using links with -g and elinks. If we can get java working I'm sure we can take advantage of the slew of Java based web browsers out there.

Linux Emulation:
I don't think we need Linux emulation. If you want Linux then use a Linux. If you want BSD then use BSD. If you want Linux and BSD then dual boot.

QUOTE(Meanie @ Sep 18 2006, 04:11 AM)
QUOTE(sylvain @ Sep 18 2006, 06:29 AM)

Java on BSD on Zaurus? blink.gif

links with -g is actually quite good

+Quote Post
sylvain
post Sep 20 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Sep 18 2006, 01:28 AM)
Linux Emulation:
I don't think we need Linux emulation. If you want Linux then use a Linux. If you want BSD then use BSD. If you want Linux and BSD then dual boot.

I did not used the "need" word. But I still believe that it would be useful. And I have the feeling that I am not the only one, because the three BSD branchs on x86 support this feature, as the way to answer to proprietary linux software.

Beside, dual booting is not the same thing than running two apps in the same user space. Rebooting twice a day is the "windows" way of doing thing, but it is neither the way of using a PDA, nor the way to use a BSD machine.

+Quote Post
iamasmith
post Sep 20 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,928

QUOTE(sylvain @ Sep 17 2006, 08:29 PM)

Actually no, unless you build Qtopia for OpenBSD also since Opera for ARM Linux is built for Qtopia only afaik

-Andy

+Quote Post
sylvain
post Sep 21 2006, 02:16 AM
Post #9

Good point.

Maybe could Qtopia would be runnable with Linux emulation, but I wouldn't bet on it...

+Quote Post
mathemajikian
post Sep 21 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #10

Now that I have Java working on the Zaurii I'm going to try and compile/port some Java based web browsers.

EDIT: After looking at numerous Java browsers I cannot seem to find any which will out perform Konq-e.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Sep 21 2006, 05:20 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Sep 21 2006, 09:54 PM)
Now that I have Java working on the Zaurii I'm going to try and compile/port some Java based web browsers.

you can try opera-mini under jamvm+classpath with me4se

+Quote Post
mathemajikian
post Sep 27 2006, 03:59 AM
Post #12

Dillo has been fixed in the ports tree and now builds correctly.

2006-09-21 22:13:19 by Peter Valchev

Log message:
Update to new version (0.8.6) and unbreak.
From new maintainer Jim Uhl <juhl@mala.bc.ca>

+Quote Post
coreilly
post Sep 27 2006, 04:57 AM
Post #13

excellent! ill install it when i get home.

any news on opera math?

+Quote Post
mathemajikian
post Sep 28 2006, 01:29 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(coreilly @ Sep 27 2006, 12:57 PM)
any news on opera math?

All I got back from Opera was an e-mail saying

Hey thats a good idea!

+Quote Post
mathemajikian
post Sep 29 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #15

I finally got mozilla-firefox to build without error (took 3 days to build); however, I cannot get it to run for longer than one minute. sad.gif It starts up but will exit with no error indication. Not sure if it is just to big to run on the Z or if I'm missing some files which it depends on. (I think I may be missing some files related to GTK because when I start firefox-bin -ProfileManager it seems to be missing the Exit, Start Firefox widgets). I'm going to get with Andy and see if we can fix the problem.

EDIT: The TestGTKEmbed works great, but this is just minimo without the fancy frontend.
EDIT2: I have had no luck getting firefox to stay open for longer than one minute, I'm finally giving up. Maybe someone else can build the port and get it working.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th July 2014 - 06:20 PM