Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Debugging Xfce4.2.2?
Tron
post Mar 5 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,244

Hello all,

all of a sudden my xfce4.2.2 stopped working. It starts up to the rat-like logo with the xfce background, the pointer is visible and movable, but that's it. As openbox works fine, I don't think it't the X-Server.

Is there a way to debug the start of the window manager (something like XFree86.log)? I suspect it might have something to do with different (beta) versions of xfce4 flying around here. Right now I deinstalled all packages containing the word "xfce" and just reinstalled xfce4 in version 4.2.2. Are there any other libraries or such which might be trouble?

And which xfce4-feed is consistent and stable and suitable for installing xfce?

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chero
post Mar 5 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,962

QUOTE(Tron @ Mar 5 2007, 10:17 PM)
Hello all,

all of a sudden my xfce4.2.2 stopped working. It starts up to the rat-like logo with the xfce background, the pointer is visible and movable, but that's it. As openbox works fine, I don't think it't the X-Server.

Is there a way to debug the start of the window manager (something like XFree86.log)? I suspect it might have something to do with different (beta) versions of xfce4 flying around here. Right now I deinstalled all packages containing the word "xfce" and just reinstalled xfce4 in version 4.2.2. Are there any other libraries or such which might be trouble?

And which xfce4-feed is consistent and stable and suitable for installing xfce?

Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is to remove the xfce-related files in ~/.config and ~/.cache. When launching xfce after that, you'll get the default setup.

About a feed : I use these files. and the files in the "parent dir". (Sorry, it's not a feed)

I know there are packages of 4.4 compiled by kkazakov13 as well as by ULHume, just search this forum and you'll probably get to them.

Chero.

+Quote Post
Tron
post Mar 6 2007, 04:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,244

QUOTE(Chero @ Mar 6 2007, 09:13 AM)
Your best bet is to remove the xfce-related files in ~/.config and ~/.cache.

Thanks, that was it. I deleted the files in ~./config, but didn't know about the ones in ~./cache. Those were the ones causing the trouble.

+Quote Post
zi99y
post Mar 6 2007, 04:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,709

I'd like to give xfce another try - what are the base ipk's needed to get it running? if there's some kind of guide around that would be useful too.

+Quote Post
Chero
post Mar 7 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,962

QUOTE(zi99y @ Mar 6 2007, 01:57 PM)
I'd like to give xfce another try - what are the base ipk's needed to get it running? if there's some kind of guide around that would be useful too.

To start you only need http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/ipkgs/e....2_armv5tel.ipk
For addons : check the link in the second post of this thread.

WARNING : These are "non-standard-packages" including "dev", but they work.

Once you installed the above, you can start xfce by launching "startxfce4" instead of "startx".

To make it better you can use customized startxfce4 and xinitrc scripts. I'll post mine here later.

I mentioned the 4.4 packages before, but for me the 4.3.90.2 (=4.4 beta2) work more straight forward.

Chero.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 11:01 PM