Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem Installing Pdaxii13 Akita On C1000
mscdex
post Jun 5 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,809

I downloaded the Akita 5.4.5 installs on my SD card, got the pdaXii13 updater menu, went to "Install New Rom" and about halfway through the erasing the RO filesystem stage (or something along those lines) it said oops an error occurred and to press ok to reboot. So now it rebooted and it boots me to a login prompt that says "pdaXii13 build5.4.5 'Sally'". There are also a couple of libncurses errors above the login prompt: "/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory." I have a C1000 if that helps.

Edit: If I try logging in as "root" it says: "login[25]: root login on 'tty1'" and then "-bash: error while loading shared libraries...." and basically repeats the error I noted above and goes back to the login prompt. sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raul
post Jun 5 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,110

Fix the nand limit first and reinstall.

+Quote Post
mscdex
post Jun 5 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Raul @ Jun 5 2007, 06:11 PM)
Fix the nand limit first and reinstall.

I assume that's the Fix loader limit in the nand flash utils menu? I tried that and it's still failing after reinstalling thereafter. "Oups!!! RO file system: error while flashing." That's the exact error.

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Jun 5 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,821

I don't know if this is related, but try using a CF card to run the installation from.
If I recall, doesn't pdaxii13 update the SD card driver? I know when you use the pdaxii13 upgrade method, there is a command that is used to shut down SD services.
I always use CF cards to install new ROMs, whether it be Cacko/Sharp or pdaxrom.

You may now need to erase the flash since the install didn't complete.

+Quote Post
mscdex
post Jun 5 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jun 5 2007, 06:38 PM)
I don't know if this is related, but try using a CF card to run the installation from.
If I recall, doesn't pdaxii13 update the SD card driver? I know when you use the pdaxii13 upgrade method, there is a command that is used to shut down SD services.
I always use CF cards to install new ROMs, whether it be Cacko/Sharp or pdaxrom.

Ok, I think I figured out the problem, I had to resize my root partition to 121mb (as Cacko is set up for 32mb I think). Anyhow, it installed and asked me what WM I wanted to use as default. I wasn't sure which to really choose, xfce is nice but I didn't know how well it fared with the resources available on the Zaurus. So I chose IceWM to try and nothing happens, it shows the X screen for a bit with the X cursor and then exits out. I log in and try startx and the last two lines listed in the output is: "... loading icewm" and then "... killing X".

Edit: I restarted and it allowed to to switch to another default WM again (thank goodness) and I selected OpenBox this time, and that worked this time.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 5 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(mscdex @ Jun 6 2007, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jun 5 2007, 06:38 PM)

Ok, I think I figured out the problem, I had to resize my root partition to 121mb (as Cacko is set up for 32mb I think). Anyhow, it installed and asked me what WM I wanted to use as default. I wasn't sure which to really choose, xfce is nice but I didn't know how well it fared with the resources available on the Zaurus. So I chose IceWM to try and nothing happens, it shows the X screen for a bit with the X cursor and then exits out. I log in and try startx and the last two lines listed in the output is: "... loading icewm" and then "... killing X".

Edit: I restarted and it allowed to to switch to another default WM again (thank goodness) and I selected OpenBox this time, and that worked this time.

there is a bug in the wm selection code. this will be fixed in the next update.
however, there is no xfce pre-installed.

+Quote Post
mscdex
post Jun 5 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #7

I noticed an error during bootup: 'mtd: partition "home" is out of reach -- disabled'
Is this a serious error or nothing to worry about?

I also noticed that firefox loads awfully slow, I expected it to take some time to load but it seemed to take much longer than expected. Is there any way to speed up the launching process somehow? If not, is it possible to install Opera or a similar heavy-lifting browser?

One last thing: how do I simulate a right-click? I ask especially because I tried to remove a widget from the openbox panel but couldn't quite figure it out and thought there might be a context menu that would allow me to do so.

I'm loving pdaXii13 so far, keep up the good work meanie and anyone else working on this project!

EDIT: I can't seem to get LinNeighborhood working correctly. When click the Add button and type in either an ip or machine and click Query it says: "samba execution error !" What is the cause of this?

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Jun 5 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mscdex @ Jun 5 2007, 10:11 PM)
I noticed an error during bootup: 'mtd: partition "home" is out of reach -- disabled'

I also noticed that firefox loads awfully slow, I expected it to take some time to load but it seemed to take much longer than expected. Is there any way to speed up the launching process somehow? If not, is it possible to install Opera or a similar heavy-lifting browser?

One last thing: how do I simulate a right-click? I ask especially because I tried to remove a widget from the openbox panel but couldn't quite figure it out and thought there might be a context menu that would allow me to do so.

I'm loving pdaXii13 so far, keep up the good work meanie and anyone else working on this project!

1. I think the "mtd" error has to do with flash and jiffs filesystem. Most of these errors are "self" repaired. Most of these errors can be ignored.
2. Firefox should take about 2-3 minutes to load, but works pretty well once it is launched. Make sure you have a swapfile or swap partition, as Firefox takes a lot of memory. Scrolling long webpages is sometimes very slow in Firefox. If you're just reading forums, (like this one), use Dillo, it's a lot faster.
Opera is proprietary and the latest version (7.55) for the Zaurus only works in Sharp/Cacko.
The Linux desktop version of Opera doesn't have a source so someone can compile it for "Arm" devices, such as the Zaurus.
3. Hold "Fn" and tap the stylus to get right click.
EDIT: I can't seem to get LinNeighborhood working correctly. When click the Add button and type in either an ip or machine and click Query it says: "samba execution error !" What is the cause of this?
You'll need to wait for an answer for this one, I haven't gotten this to work either.
EDIT:
I copied the pdaxii13 keyboard shortcuts from meanie's page to this text file.

This post has been edited by Jon_J: Jun 5 2007, 07:47 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  keyboard_pdaxii13.txt ( 3.14K ) Number of downloads: 20

+Quote Post
mscdex
post Jun 5 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jun 5 2007, 11:37 PM)
QUOTE(mscdex @ Jun 5 2007, 10:11 PM)

1. I think the "mtd" error has to do with flash and jiffs filesystem. Most of these errors are "self" repaired. Most of these errors can be ignored.
2. Firefox should take about 2-3 minutes to load, but works pretty well once it is launched. Make sure you have a swapfile or swap partition, as Firefox takes a lot of memory. Scrolling long webpages is sometimes very slow in Firefox. If you're just reading forums, (like this one), use Dillo, it's a lot faster.
Opera is proprietary and the latest version (7.55) for the Zaurus only works in Sharp/Cacko.
The Linux desktop version of Opera doesn't have a source so someone can compile it for "Arm" devices, such as the Zaurus.
3. Hold "Fn" and tap the stylus to get right click.
You'll need to wait for an answer for this one, I haven't gotten this to work either.
EDIT:
I copied the pdaxii13 keyboard shortcuts from meanie's page to this text file.

Thanks for the info, I tried the right-clicking on the openbox applet (the WiFi one to be specific) and nothing came up, it's driving me nuts trying to figure out how to remove them.

EDIT: Sorry for the continuing issues, but I noticed that when I rotate my screen to portrait, the screen does not rotate but instead chops off 1/4 of the right-hand side of the desktop and everything is still in landscape mode. The currently highlighted icon in the matchbox desktop has a completely white opaque text background such that the text is not visible. Are these known issues?

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Jun 5 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #10

I don't know about your rotation issues.
To remove something or add something to the taskbar, click and hold it for a sec or two, a selection will popup allowing you to remove/add apps to the taskbar.
To view what a taskbar applet is doing, just tap on it.
EDIT:
For rotation, you may try the "rotate" icon on the menu that opens when you click the pink "X"

This post has been edited by Jon_J: Jun 5 2007, 08:39 PM

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Jun 5 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #11

The "Akita" version of pdaxii13 is also missing some things that are in the full version.
One example is ROX (ROX desktop elements). You'll need to download ROX filer and depends. I don't know what else is missing, sound file is missing for startup sound and other small things. You may also need to download and install the latest rotate.ipk that meanie posted awhile back.

+Quote Post
mscdex
post Jun 6 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #12

It seems that on resume one of the matchbox desktop icons has their text background color set to white, same thing that I described earlier (when I tried to rotate). I also had a case where I tried to resume after suspending and while I could tap on the screen and the cursor would move around, nothing responded to my taps, nothing in the interface at all. Buttons like Menu did not work either (the App Launcher menu did not pop up).

EDIT: I finally got IceWM to work (needed to install imlib) and no longer have this or the rotation problems.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 10:38 PM