Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Openbsd 5.8
ArchiMark
post Oct 4 2015, 12:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 208

Installed 5.8 yesterday on my 3200.

Installed OK and so far all is working well.

Using my Socket 10/100 ethernet CF card and works well and OBSD recognized it....

In process of building nano to see how builds go.....

If it works OK, will move onto cmake.....and then other programs....

Crossing my fingers that 5.8 will be OK with builds as compared to 5.6 the last version I installed about 9 months ago....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danboid
post Oct 4 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,789

Good to hear it!

If I can get suspend fixed I'll be joining you. The promise of working suspend is the big pull for me over Arch and NetBSD and if it works on the C3200 then there is a good chance it should be able to work on the C3000 too but I've had no such luck under 5.8 or 5.7. I don't really want to go back to 5.6 or earlier if I can avoid it but I don't know if suspend ever did work on the C3000 anyway?

I'll leave it at that as I don't want to hijack your thread with my woes! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Oct 4 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Thanks!

I wonder if maybe something about your install didn't go right or maybe there is an issue with the install files downloaded?

I'm pretty sure that suspend should work OK on the 3000.....

Maybe you should try installing again from fresh downloaded files?

Meanwhile, think nano build is plugging along.....think it's getting close now.....

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Oct 4 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #4

12 hours 15 minutes and counting.....since started building nano.....

Still chugging along.....

smile.gif

+Quote Post
danboid
post Oct 4 2015, 11:06 PM
Post #5

12+ hours!!! For nano!? Arch has just got more attractive! smile.gif

I've never had to compile nano. I always expected it'd be quite small but there's obviously more to it than I thought.

No-one can say you're not patient Mark!

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Oct 5 2015, 05:00 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 5 2015, 12:06 AM) *
12+ hours!!! For nano!? Arch has just got more attractive! smile.gif

I've never had to compile nano. I always expected it'd be quite small but there's obviously more to it than I thought.

No-one can say you're not patient Mark!

Thanks for the good works, danboid!

Just got up this morning....checked on Z........

Still building...

About 20 hours so far......

Hopefully not much more now.......

Please note that the first thing you build will likely take long time as in order to build the program, it first has to build all the dependencies.....so, depending upon the dependencies, there may be multiple dependencies to them too.

This means the next program you build will take less time as it will find that many of the dependencies needed are already built......

smile.gif

+Quote Post
danboid
post Oct 5 2015, 05:25 AM
Post #7

Of course! It's compiling all the deps too! I didn't think it could possibly take that long just to build nano. I expect you'd be waiting weeks the first time you try compiling a KDE app!

On the up side its good news as this is a great stress test of your Z and the new OBSD release and it sounds like its coping well.

I think I will try installing 5.8 again next and I'll check the checksums manually before I install this time. I've been putting the checksum files in the same dir as the OBSD install tarballs but for some reason the installer never finds it so I've been uninstalling without the integrity check. What's the trick to get the installer to find the sum files when installing off SD or CF? I specify sd0 for the source drive and then I use / as the path as I put the files in the root dir of the (vfat) CF or SD card.

+Quote Post
danboid
post Oct 5 2015, 07:28 AM
Post #8

Mark:

Can you be sure your 5.8-CURRENT packages will all work under 5.8-RELEASE or whatever the stable version gets called?

Do OBSD binary packages contain the dev stuff too?

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Oct 5 2015, 08:07 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 5 2015, 06:25 AM) *
Of course! It's compiling all the deps too! I didn't think it could possibly take that long just to build nano. I expect you'd be waiting weeks the first time you try compiling a KDE app!

On the up side its good news as this is a great stress test of your Z and the new OBSD release and it sounds like its coping well.

I think I will try installing 5.8 again next and I'll check the checksums manually before I install this time. I've been putting the checksum files in the same dir as the OBSD install tarballs but for some reason the installer never finds it so I've been uninstalling without the integrity check. What's the trick to get the installer to find the sum files when installing off SD or CF? I specify sd0 for the source drive and then I use / as the path as I put the files in the root dir of the (vfat) CF or SD card.

See planetofidiots.com for info on checking files....or maybe it's in the OBSD zaurus install instruction pages...can't remember....signify command.....

QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 5 2015, 08:28 AM) *
Mark:

Can you be sure your 5.8-CURRENT packages will all work under 5.8-RELEASE or whatever the stable version gets called?

Do OBSD binary packages contain the dev stuff too?

Do you mean whether the packages I build while using the current snapshot release will work with the official 5.8 release? If so, good question....I think so, but not 100% sure....

Regarding OBSD binary packages....not sure what you mean exactly....by binary packages, you mean packages I build or ?

And what are you referring to by 'dev stuff' ?

+Quote Post
danboid
post Oct 5 2015, 08:16 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Oct 5 2015, 05:07 PM) *
Regarding OBSD binary packages....not sure what you mean exactly....by binary packages, you mean packages I build or ?

I'm a total OBSD newb but I'm presuming your nano build will produce a number of binary packages that we could install under 5.8 without the multi-day compilation, right? I'd hope so!

As for 'dev stuff', under some Linux distros (eg Deb and Ubuntu) most binary packages have a binary package and a -dev equivalent that contains the 'dev stuff' like headers etc whereas other distros such as Arch include both in the binary packages. What does OBSD do?

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Oct 5 2015, 08:54 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(danboid @ Oct 5 2015, 09:16 AM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Oct 5 2015, 05:07 PM) *

I'm a total OBSD newb but I'm presuming your nano build will produce a number of binary packages that we could install under 5.8 without the multi-day compilation, right? I'd hope so!

As for 'dev stuff', under some Linux distros (eg Deb and Ubuntu) most binary packages have a binary package and a -dev equivalent that contains the 'dev stuff' like headers etc whereas other distros such as Arch include both in the binary packages. What does OBSD do?

Yes, nano build will produce a bunch of binary packages that are all the various library files, etc, probably what you refer to as 'dev stuff' files....and can be copied over to your Z and save lots of time building that way......

After you've built a few packages, it gets faster to build the next ones as you already have the 'dev stuff' on the Z for the build process to find and use....

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Oct 5 2015, 10:07 PM
Post #12

Monday evening 11:06PM, October 5th.....

Nano is done building and it works!

Now onto cmake...

smile.gif

+Quote Post
danboid
post Oct 6 2015, 06:04 AM
Post #13

Congrats Mark!

So what was that then? 2/3 days straight Z building action?

Its a shame you can't cross-compile OBSD packages. That'd save huge amounts of time and prolong the life of your Z.

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Oct 6 2015, 06:40 AM
Post #14

Thank you!

It was only about 37 hours.......

rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
TheWalt
post Oct 8 2015, 04:54 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,836

Ok now you got my interest again damn you! biggrin.gif

I had the FTP server setup with the builds to share from 5.6 but took it down after we all kinda got side tracked. The first build dependencies is a killer but after that things go pretty quick.

I'll see if I can find some time, with winter upon us projects like this will be ideal to work on as outdoor activities are put on hold for 6 months.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 08:34 AM