OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A780/e680 - Full Fledged Linux Phone, Get it now or never...
Mickeyl
post May 18 2006, 04:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 907

Hi guys,

the OpenEZX project aims to replace the Motorola distribution on these phones with a stack fully based on open source software. The kernel guy is making great progress with 2.6.16 and I added first support for the phone in OpenEmbedded.

If you want to get one of those, then act now or come too late - unfortunately the phone seems to be nearly sold out and MOTO stopped producing it. I just ordered mine at ARP DATACON (http://www.arp.com) who seems to have some in stock.

For me it's a great opportunity to have an Embedded Linux phone with (not now, but hopefully soon) Opie, E and GPE on it, this is why I'm posting about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post May 18 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,806

My friend has one of those, what i am intrested in from the project is A2DP support for wireless headphones thogh that would be on the open source motorlla page, the idea of torrents over gprs on the move is intresting wink.gif

+Quote Post
lpotter
post May 19 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,001

The Universal HTC (sole under various names) is also on track for linux. In fact, it already runs Opie.

+Quote Post
Mickeyl
post May 19 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #4

Cool. Give us photos! (No, not just screenshots biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post May 19 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(lpotter @ May 19 2006, 07:11 PM)
The Universal HTC (sole under various names) is also on track for linux. In fact, it already runs Opie.

true, but there's a VERY long way to go with it still - last I read it still didn't actually suspend properly. I think that the uni will gain a big following, unless Sharp pull a hat out of the bag. I'm sure Microsoft MUST have signed some special contract with HTC to stop HTC providing any sort of opensource packaging on this unit.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post May 19 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #6

they dont need to, the telcos dont like open sourcing their stuff as the fcc might tell tham to pull the product as the user could use it to cause inteference and sugh

IMHO they should have put that stuff in the devices firmware rather than the driver.

+Quote Post
danboid
post May 20 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,789

Indeed, the uni is the most promising Linux phone right now.

A uni-owning friend of mine tells me he heard they actually had Linux fully functional on the uni as thats what they used to test the hardware when it was in development.

Anyone know if brand x of the uni is better than the others, or are they all identical?

I still want something like the uni but with 2700G graphics, although I've never been able to find info on the status of an accelerated xorg server with DRI etc. for this chipset. I know intels i915 (and related) line has open source drivers so I presume the 2700G does too?

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post May 20 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,295

I think GPE is functional too.

Current stuff needing the most work (According to Handhelds.org)

Power Management
Cameras
Phone (Unknown Data protocol)
Modem (See above)
Bluetooth Headset
Phone
Wifi

So basically, it "almost" works as a PDA, but it's no phone yet.

As soon as they get even basic phone capabilities on this thing, I'm getting a contract. THEN burying the Sim so I never run up a huge bill like most people my age.

+Quote Post
Tom61
post May 20 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,002

QUOTE(danboid @ May 20 2006, 09:22 AM)
I still want something like the uni but with 2700G graphics, although I've never been able to find info on the status of an accelerated xorg server with DRI etc. for this chipset. I know intels i915 (and related) line has open source drivers so I presume the 2700G does too?

There are no accelerated Linux drivers right now, AFAIK. However, Intel has all the documentation one would need to create drivers for it, at least from what I can tell with my limited knowledge of display driver development. Windows Mobile programmers figured out how to use the 2700G's hardware DivX playback very soon after the Dell X50v was released, using the documentation I mentioned earlier, yeilding a large boost in battery life when watching DivX movies. As soon the X50 gets a fully functioning distro (power management, etc.), 2700G accelerated Linux drivers shouldn't be to far behind.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post May 21 2006, 03:04 AM
Post #10

all unis are identical, itl just the software the bundle with it

+Quote Post
Mickeyl
post May 26 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #11

First pictures and videos @ http://www.vanille.de/temp/a780/

Site gets updated as I make progress porting Opie, GPE, E etc.

+Quote Post
drnick
post Sep 10 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,361

Moto has a new PDA/Smartphone with touchscreen on the horizon, the e690. Another candidate for openEZX? The interface looks like the one on the A780. http://board.phonehk.com/viewthread.php?ti...&extra=page%3D1

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 04:08 AM