2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ZUG a bit busier than usual...
Tehas
post Jan 9 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 867

No question about it, Spencer *was* Sharp/dev. 

Yes, Spencer was great to have around, but, IMO, the community was more than one person. There are so many people who pitch in to help out to answer questions and post "look what I was able to do" examples. There are few if any questions that don't get an answer, even if the answer is a link to a previous thread with a reminder to try searching. I found the forums invaluable for making things work on my Zaurus.

Several months ago, I joined a simlar board dealing with IBM's Websphere. I tried using it for research and was amazed at the number of threads that would just dead-end or get no response. I came to realize that I was spoiled by the people in the Zaurus community.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nitup
post Jan 9 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,214

The community is great here. Seems to be gaining ground. The fact we don't have to trust in sharp to keep this one going.

The reason for the comments about spencer, I think, is that he kept us informed about goings on at sharp/dev.

The community around hand held linux is great in general. The work being produced is great. I love having a handheld computer that can double as a pda smile.gif

+Quote Post
VeeDubb
post Jan 9 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 698

The other reason thatcomes to mind, and this may be just me. But it seems that the site trippled in speed not all that long ago. When this site started it took me so long to load a page that i never bothered to come because it was so damn annoying.

You've got a great site here ORG, All it took was a reason for people to start coming (i.e. november crashes) and folks have spread the word.

+Quote Post
soycap
post Jan 9 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,123

I was really pissed at Sharp, because with a flick of the switch all of the information (thousands of hours of time in contributions) posted by the user community was gone. I'm sure they had no intention of bringing it back up. Even though they did bring it back after some major negitive feedback, the fact that they dropped it in the first place just goes to show how much the guys in charge of Sharp US actually don't get it.

I do trust that the information I post here will not get trashed, I don't feel the same about my posts at the Sharp site.

+Quote Post
UseEncryption
post Jan 9 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,314

I'm here because it's much more comprehensive than the Sharp site, and Linux was built by enthusiasts, not corporations. That Sharp blew out their community group only shows that they are a corporation. The users here have provided me with more, better, and faster answers than I have ever gotten from /any/ manufacturer. Hopefully I'll be able to repay the community at some point.

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Jan 9 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #21

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

The other reason thatcomes to mind, and this may be just me.  But it seems that the site trippled in speed not all that long ago.

It's not just you... that's one of the reasons why I wanted to do the server move a few months ago... the speed on the other host was terrible.

You've got a great site here ORG, All it took was a reason for people to start coming (i.e. november crashes) and folks have spread the word.

I'll try not to sound too cheesy now, but I think WE have a great site here... I just help maintain it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
VeeDubb
post Jan 9 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #22

I do trust that the information I post here will not get trashed, I don't feel the same about my posts at the Sharp site.

I know what you mean. There were a number of posts on the old sharp/dev where i had found important answers that i couldn't afford to loose. The minute the site came back up I saved lll of the posts with information that was crititcal to me (two in particular) to my hard drive so iw ouldn't loose them.

O.R.G., I know what you mean and I agree. The sense of community on this site is realy starting to develope nicely. Lot's of friendly banter and lot's of help dished out all around.

+Quote Post
Laze
post Jan 10 2004, 04:27 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 20

I'll try not to sound too cheesy now, but I think WE have a great site here... I just help maintain it.  smile.gif

Yes but you host it and have all the bills to pay :-(

The only two things I dislike is the fact that i often get "logged out" when revisting and that the forum is so sensible about topics you have read - it quickly marks them all as read when you go in and out of the forum and thereby the "View posts since last visit" looses it functionallity.

+Quote Post
lardman
post Jan 10 2004, 05:06 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 464

Unfortunately the zauruszone forum is still MIA, there was a lot of useful info there.

More developer/hacking stuff than the devnet. Shame.

+Quote Post
lekter
post Jan 10 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,313

Some of the traffic is my fault. I released Gentoo For Zaurus and posted in freshmeat and sourceforge and included a link to this forums.

+Quote Post
VeeDubb
post Jan 10 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #26

Yeah, I think the X11 followed by gentoo have stirred up a lot of activity, and probably more than a few zaurus clamshell sales.

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Jan 10 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #27

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Some of the traffic is my fault. I released Gentoo For Zaurus and posted in freshmeat and sourceforge and included a link to this forums.

ahh.. that must have been it... it's only sites like those that drum up that much traffic...

don't be sorry, link all you want! the more traffic the merrier!

its good to see the new server can take a licking and not slow down smile.gif

+Quote Post
omin0us
post Jan 11 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 130

i remember back when we were slashdotted. when you had the very first ever real photo's of the sl-6000. now that was quite a slam in traffic. I bet somehow we could get a link to here from /. regarding Cacko Linux and GentooForZaurus. that would really bring in a lot of traffic.

+Quote Post
lpotter
post Jan 11 2004, 02:52 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,001

I noticed right away that after zaurus.com went down the last time, this site picked right up, and seems to be where the zaurus action is.

Also, the X11 rom seemed to have sparked new discussions.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 02:40 AM