2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Angstrom And Dm9601 Module
protechk
post Jan 13 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,910

I would like to know if someone have an ipk with dm9601 module for Angstrom. Or if someone have a howto which explain how to compile a module.
I use an USB/Ethernet dongle with this chipset.

Thnks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Jan 13 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,575

Do you have a build environment set up? If so, you should be able to do "bitbake linux-module-dm9601" or whatever the package is called. I can't look it up because the Angstrom website is down.

EDIT: Maybe you have to recompile your kernel with different options. I'm not sure, nor am I sure how to do that. I'm new to OE/Bitbake.

EDIT: It looks like it is "kernel-module-dm9601," but it is only available for the Cxx0 series, not the Cxx00 series.

+Quote Post
adf
post Jan 13 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jan 13 2008, 01:27 PM) *
Do you have a build environment set up? If so, you should be able to do "bitbake linux-module-dm9601" or whatever the package is called. I can't look it up because the Angstrom website is down.

EDIT: Maybe you have to recompile your kernel with different options. I'm not sure, nor am I sure how to do that. I'm new to OE/Bitbake.

EDIT: It looks like it is "kernel-module-dm9601," but it is only available for the Cxx0 series, not the Cxx00 series.

would ther really be a difference ?

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Jan 14 2008, 04:38 AM
Post #4

Nope, but the package search tool says it's only for the Cxx0. I rebuilt my image last night, and enabled DM9601 in the default config. I now have a DM9601 Spitz module, if somebody's interested.

+Quote Post
protechk
post Jan 14 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,910

I am interesting but what kernel do you use to compile it?

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Jan 14 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #6

2.6.23, the default one that comes with Angstrom.

+Quote Post
zdroyer
post Jan 15 2008, 05:45 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,835

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Jan 14 2008, 01:38 PM) *
I now have a DM9601 Spitz module, if somebody's interested.

Hey, Capn_Fish, i'd like to test this module on my Z. Could you publish it?

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Jan 15 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #8

No problem. Here you go.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  kernel_module_dm9601_2.6.23_r14_spitz.ipk ( 5.85K ) Number of downloads: 24

+Quote Post
zdroyer
post Jan 16 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,835

Thanx a lot Capn_Fish!
However the ipk cannot be installed with ipkg, but after manual installation (ar -x ..., cp dm9601 ... , depmod) the module just works!
I tested it on SL-C1000 and SL-C3200, Angstrom 2007.12, kernel 2.6.23,
and some noname usb dongle (costs ~15E)
lsusb says:
CODE

idVendor 0x0a46 Davicom Semiconductor, Inc.
idProduct 0x9601
bcdDevice 1.01
iManufacturer 1 DM9601 USB NNC
iProduct 2 Davicom CO., LTD
iSerial 3 9601
bNumConfigurations 1

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Jan 16 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #10

Unfortunately, my dongle doesn't work, but glad to hear the driver does.

+Quote Post
Hacdan
post Dec 13 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 21,151

Not to bring up an old topic, but I need hostap.ko and hostap_cs.ko compiled with prism2 download support. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to setup a build environment or maybe even compile them for me? I have been pulling my hair out trying to flash my wifi card. If this has been asked somewhere else, I do apologize. I did a quick search, but did not look into it that deeply.

**Quick update before I go to bed. I have a build environment set up and seems to be working. I am at a loss when it comes to compiling the module with download support. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. This would be my first time having a go at compiling a module and it seems to be the only choice I have at the moment. Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Dec 14 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #12

You need to edit the build files with the options to enable these things, I believe.

There are also some modules I built for pdaXrom r198 a while back that support card flashing. I'll dig up the link if you'd like.

+Quote Post
Hacdan
post Dec 14 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #13

Unfortunately, I just reflashed from r198. I have the files, but I assumed that they would not work with Angstrom. From what I've read the kernels are quite different. I could be completely wrong, which is probably true as I do not know much about the Linux kernel and how modules are compiled

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Dec 14 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Hacdan @ Dec 14 2008, 04:16 PM) *
Unfortunately, I just reflashed from r198. I have the files, but I assumed that they would not work with Angstrom. From what I've read the kernels are quite different. I could be completely wrong, which is probably true as I do not know much about the Linux kernel and how modules are compiled

No, they won't work on Angstrom (with the normal kernel). You could flash the pdaX kernel with your current Angstrom install (after putting the modules in the correct place), reboot, flash the card, then flash your old kernel back. The kernel should work fine (at least well enough to allow you to flash the card), though I've not tested it with Angstrom.

EDIT: The kernel might be in the wrong format to just flash and have it work with Angstrom (I seem to remember a step when building it that made a 'uboot' kernel). You could try it anyway, though wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hacdan
post Dec 14 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 14 2008, 09:38 PM) *
QUOTE(Hacdan @ Dec 14 2008, 04:16 PM) *

No, they won't work on Angstrom (with the normal kernel). You could flash the pdaX kernel with your current Angstrom install (after putting the modules in the correct place), reboot, flash the card, then flash your old kernel back. The kernel should work fine (at least well enough to allow you to flash the card), though I've not tested it with Angstrom.

EDIT: The kernel might be in the wrong format to just flash and have it work with Angstrom (I seem to remember a step when building it that made a 'uboot' kernel). You could try it anyway, though wink.gif

I would rather attempt to learn how to compile the module myself. I really have no idea how to go about doing so. I know I can bitbake hostap-module or something along those lines, but I have no idea what file to change to add prism2 download support and possibly packet injection, assuming that is part of the kernel module. Thanks for the idea though, I tried flashing your kernel after installing r198 and ended up with no wlan0 device. This confused me and I had been itching to try Angstrom anyways.

I've been searching the wiki to no avail. I'm sure it's in there and I'm probably not using the correct search terms, but I have the environment setup, with their instructions anyways. I assumed there would be some file inside the hostap package directory that might lead me in the right direction, but the only thing that I found were a bunch of .bb files that I had no clue how to change to suit my needs. Thanks for all the help and possibly anymore in advance. biggrin.gif

**EDIT** Missing word tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 11:40 AM