Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zaurus Or N810 Or ?, Am I Nutz??????
HoloVector
post Mar 10 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,420

Yes, welcome back.

....Or the latest Poky Linux. Version 3.1 They now have a cute Beaver mascot. tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 10 2008, 05:41 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 208

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 10 2008, 04:34 AM) *
Congratulations!

Thanks, Capn_Fish!

Now, the hard part.....waiting for my new lil' bad boy!!!

wink.gif

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Mar 10 2008, 05:57 AM) *
welcome back... what will you install first? Android FTW!

Thanks, speculatrix!

Hmmm....good question!!!.....

Maybe, tri-boot, Android, pdaXii, and .....

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 10 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(HoloVector @ Mar 10 2008, 06:19 AM) *
Yes, welcome back.

....Or the latest Poky Linux. Version 3.1 They now have a cute Beaver mascot. tongue.gif

Thanks, HoloVector!

Yes, Poky sounds good!!..nothin' wrong with a lil' beaver....

wink.gif

Actually, beaver was the mascot of my ol' high school up in the great Pacific Northwest, way back when.... I kid you not.....

cool.gif

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 17 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #19

The Eagle has landed!!!!!!

Well, actually I've got Z again!!!!!!

Chargin' her up right now !!!

cool.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Mar 17 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,575

See, if you're that excited, there's no way you made a bad decision! smile.gif

Congrats and welcome back to the wonderful world of the Zaurus!

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 17 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #21

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 17 2008, 02:07 PM) *
See, if you're that excited, there's no way you made a bad decision! smile.gif

Congrats and welcome back to the wonderful world of the Zaurus!

THANKS, Capn_Fish!

Right now I don't care even if I am nutz!!

wink.gif

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Mar 17 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #22

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 17 2008, 10:24 PM) *
Right now I don't care even if I am nutz!!

we're all a bit crazy really; I've had four zauruses, my first was an 860 sold to another member, and I still have three, the 6000L is a "frankenzaurus" made from the the best bits of two dead ones! Even now someone managed something clever with it and when we get to try it, we can thing "wow"!

+Quote Post
zmiq2
post Mar 31 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,038

Well, after fighting with customs for longer that expected, I finally have my U810 at home; I'm installing ubuntu right now....

Man, this machine is big and heavy, but otherwise that's the size that fits me !!

I'll try to replace the internal wifi by a 3,5G module, let's see how it works...

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Mar 31 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Mar 31 2008, 05:16 PM) *
Well, after fighting with customs for longer that expected, I finally have my U810 at home; I'm installing ubuntu right now....

Man, this machine is big and heavy, but otherwise that's the size that fits me !!

I'll try to replace the internal wifi by a 3,5G module, let's see how it works...

when you say heavy, do you mean relative to its size so that when you pick it up it feels made of lead, or is it merely solid and somewhat large?

+Quote Post
zmiq2
post Mar 31 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,038

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Mar 31 2008, 01:03 PM) *
QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Mar 31 2008, 05:16 PM) *

when you say heavy, do you mean relative to its size so that when you pick it up it feels made of lead, or is it merely solid and somewhat large?

I'd say a little of both: it feels made of lead and it's somewhat large.

Of course, I might be biased due to the fact that I compare it to a zaurus c750 and to an htc tytn ii, but of course those two other seem toys when talking about what can you do with this device, so I'm still very happy with the U810.

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 31 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Mar 31 2008, 09:16 AM) *

Congratz, zmiq2 on your U810....I really like mine....I replaced my HD to Toshiba 100GB and then installed Debian/XFCE4 on it...works pretty well...overall very happy with it, but you can't put it in your pocket like a Z though...

Have fun!

Mark

+Quote Post
Ragnorok
post Apr 30 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 781

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 17 2008, 07:41 PM) *
- Looks like you settled on Debian, at least initially. (grin)
- I'd like to have a 3200 and pop Debian/Android/whatever on there, but I have a 1000 and think SD is access is just too darned slow to run anything off it. (shrug) I got Hiroshi the very month the C1000 was released in Japan and have gotten (and continue to get) lots of good use. Welcome back to the fold, as it were...

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post May 2 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Ragnorok @ Apr 30 2008, 11:05 AM) *
QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Mar 17 2008, 07:41 PM) *
- Looks like you settled on Debian, at least initially. (grin)
- I'd like to have a 3200 and pop Debian/Android/whatever on there, but I have a 1000 and think SD is access is just too darned slow to run anything off it. (shrug) I got Hiroshi the very month the C1000 was released in Japan and have gotten (and continue to get) lots of good use. Welcome back to the fold, as it were...

Thanks for the welcome, Ragnorok!

Yep, got Debian right now....but still have a touchscreen issue I think due to my installing xdm so that I could login as normal user.....

Toying with installing over again fresh, to get rid of problem....

rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post May 3 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #29

I've been trying to dual-boot debian and cacko; problem is that cacko kernel panics during kexec "boot" when debian starts up. Not had time to really investigate it yet.

I'd still like to see a Nokia 810 and Fujitsu U810 in the flesh to try it out. I'm going to Phoenix end of May but I am not sure whether the usual suspects (Best Buy, Frys, Circuit City or Ultimate would stock it), maybe better for me if I don't get a chance to get tempted.

I still find the Z's flexibility unmatched... the other day I needed to test some cat5 patch ports at work and it was so much easier to walk round with my Z and the CF->ethernet adaptor rather than drag a laptop around! The N800's crippled USB host is a missed opportunity (too little power, wrong type of connector) sad.gif

Now I've lived with the N800 for a while, I have to say that a combined Zaurus and 800 (take the clamshell form factor & keyboard & USB host from the former, the screen + wireless + bluetooth from the latter) would be my ideal. The 810's keyboard is still not as good IMHO. Who knows, maybe the Pandora will be a winner?

I think if I won the lottery (unlikely as I never enter!), I'd commission a company to repackage the Nokia 810 into a zaurus form factor - I've tried myself to find a suitable usb keyboard for a halfway house and the closest I got was a "nano keyboard" which is 30% too big.

enough ramblings!

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post May 3 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 3 2008, 03:52 AM) *
I've been trying to dual-boot debian and cacko; problem is that cacko kernel panics during kexec "boot" when debian starts up. Not had time to really investigate it yet.

I'd still like to see a Nokia 810 and Fujitsu U810 in the flesh to try it out. I'm going to Phoenix end of May but I am not sure whether the usual suspects (Best Buy, Frys, Circuit City or Ultimate would stock it), maybe better for me if I don't get a chance to get tempted.

FWIW, only retail store here in Silicone Valley that I've seen N810 at was at MicroCenter. Fry's had the U810 I think, but not sure that I saw it there recently....

I still find the Z's flexibility unmatched... the other day I needed to test some cat5 patch ports at work and it was so much easier to walk round with my Z and the CF->ethernet adaptor rather than drag a laptop around! The N800's crippled USB host is a missed opportunity (too little power, wrong type of connector) sad.gif

I agree that the Z's are great....as for the N810, I did get the USB ethernet working after I got an adapter and use my little HP USB mini-hub...with AC power connected....

Now I've lived with the N800 for a while, I have to say that a combined Zaurus and 800 (take the clamshell form factor & keyboard & USB host from the former, the screen + wireless + bluetooth from the latter) would be my ideal. The 810's keyboard is still not as good IMHO. Who knows, maybe the Pandora will be a winner?

I agree that the clamshell with swivel screen of the Z is the way to go....just with built-in wifi/ethernet/bt....

Don't know about the Pandora....

I think if I won the lottery (unlikely as I never enter!), I'd commission a company to repackage the Nokia 810 into a zaurus form factor - I've tried myself to find a suitable usb keyboard for a halfway house and the closest I got was a "nano keyboard" which is 30% too big.

enough ramblings!

Maybe you should enter!....if you don't you won't win....
wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 07:11 AM