Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mounting Read-only /usr/share.rom As Read-write
waalkman
post Jan 13 2005, 01:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,284

I would like to make some changes to my mc.ext file which resides in /usr/share.rom/mc, but the area is mounted as read only. How do I mount it as read-write so that I can make my change?

Failing that, can I remove the Midnight Commander package and re-install it elsewhere?

Thanks,

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penguinsam
post Jan 13 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,316

I also want to edit the smb.conf resides in /usr/lib.rom and change the codepage.

+Quote Post
maslovsky
post Jan 13 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 89

In both cases, delete the link that point to the file in read-only memory and copy the file itself to where the link was. After that you'll be able to edit the file.

+Quote Post
waalkman
post Jan 14 2005, 04:11 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,284

QUOTE(maslovsky @ Jan 13 2005, 04:50 AM)
In both cases, delete the link that point to the file in read-only memory and copy the file itself to where the link was. After that you'll be able to edit the file.

That's the first thing I did, but it didn't help. It seems like path-wise it's looking in /usr/share.rom/ first.

Renaming the mc.ext file has no effect on the way that Midnight Commander treats extensions, so I'm pretty sure that it's going right to the /usr/share.rom/ directory first.

I did some extensive checking around (.profile and the different mc.sh files, etc) on where else it could be, but I couldn't find it...

Thanks,

John

+Quote Post
Stubear
post Jan 14 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,219

As long as you aren't using a Cacko rom then you can do
CODE
mount -o rw,remount /

To remount the / filesystem read-write.

Make sure you do
CODE
mount -o ro,remount /
when you are finished or you could do something stupid like delete your copy of busybox by mistake.

If you are using a Cacko rom then you will have to learn how to make squashfs or cramfs (depending on cacko rom version) filesystems and create a new /boot/usr.bin - I don't recommend this unless you are ready to reflash your Zaurus if you don't do it correctly.

Stu

+Quote Post
penguinsam
post Jan 14 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,316

QUOTE(maslovsky @ Jan 13 2005, 08:50 PM)

ya, i deleted /usr/lib/samba/smb.conf which is linked to /usr/lib.rom/samba/smb.conf, then copied that file to where the link was deleted.

i could now make changes to that file and it works properly with the codepage i desired. thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 05:48 PM