12 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1, Start your downloads now
cortez
post Dec 29 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,380

Just to let you know, there is a new boot-kernel and zubuntu-kernel coming up for Spitz. I hope this solves some of the problems, like booting from internal flash, wrong modules (spitz instead of akita), build-in support for some of the hardware (compact flash, mtd etc) and extra (wireless) networking kernel modules.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moomincity
post Dec 29 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 27,021

QUOTE(canguy247 @ Dec 28 2008, 10:24 AM) *
QUOTE(cortez @ Dec 28 2008, 12:30 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 28 2008, 05:45 PM) *
OK, I have to ask...

...If so, is it noticeably faster than Debian?

For me, in it's current form, it's much faster. But really, you have to try it out yourself to see if you notice any difference.

I find it many times faster than Andromeda, but I also changed to a new SD card. I went from a Transcend 150x 4gb, to a 16gb Kingston SDHC. Not sure how much of a factor that would be. Even python apps run better (pysol is easily 5x faster. almost no delay). There could also be other factors I am missing though.

Canguy

Oh thats odd I put in a sandisk sdhc type 4 and my cacko distro on my slc3000 didnt recognise the card, the transcend 4gb is fine

+Quote Post
canguy247
post Dec 29 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 13,740

QUOTE(moomincity @ Dec 29 2008, 06:50 PM) *
QUOTE(canguy247 @ Dec 28 2008, 10:24 AM) *
QUOTE(cortez @ Dec 28 2008, 12:30 PM) *
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Dec 28 2008, 05:45 PM) *
OK, I have to ask...

...If so, is it noticeably faster than Debian?

For me, in it's current form, it's much faster. But really, you have to try it out yourself to see if you notice any difference.

I find it many times faster than Andromeda, but I also changed to a new SD card. I went from a Transcend 150x 4gb, to a 16gb Kingston SDHC. Not sure how much of a factor that would be. Even python apps run better (pysol is easily 5x faster. almost no delay). There could also be other factors I am missing though.

Canguy

Oh thats odd I put in a sandisk sdhc type 4 and my cacko distro on my slc3000 didnt recognise the card, the transcend 4gb is fine

Cacko has a different kernel. I have problems with it recognizing my 4gb because doesn't have a fat partition.

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Dec 29 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 10,575

QUOTE(moomincity @ Dec 29 2008, 05:50 PM) *

Is the Transcend an SDHC card of an SD card?

+Quote Post
moomincity
post Dec 29 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 27,021

I have a transcend SD 150x 4gb not a SDHC formatted to fat, havent tried it formatted to anything else. From the other posts Id say it was an issue with the cacko rom as I always needed to flash the testsu sd patch for it to work.

+Quote Post
Fatty
post Dec 29 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 8,168

QUOTE(cortez @ Dec 30 2008, 02:37 AM) *
Just to let you know, there is a new boot-kernel and zubuntu-kernel coming up for Spitz. I hope this solves some of the problems, like booting from internal flash, wrong modules (spitz instead of akita), build-in support for some of the hardware (compact flash, mtd etc) and extra (wireless) networking kernel modules.

Thanks for the update.

Yes these fixed 1) modules issues like CF access 2) multi-boot menu does show the descriptions of different distro.

However, two new issue arouse to my C3100:
1) the new multi-boot kernel takes several minutes probing /dev/mtdblockX
2) after startx, an error msg prompted 'Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?' and I lost the background. I also found the pointer flickers a lot.

As such, can anyone send me the original multi-boot kernel? Thanks in advance!

simon_chu@ymail.com

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Dec 29 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 8,821

Fatty, sent original spitz multiboot kernel via PM here on OESF

EDIT:
I haven't tried the latest release, I'll download it now.
(SL-C3100)
First I just untarred the new spitz-root-addition to my SD card, I haven't re-flashed the new multiboot kernel yet, I'll do that next.
All my CF partitions are available and mounted now, both internal and external. smile.gif
I also have a volume control on the taskbar.
One new error though, with my quick observation:
"Zubuntu login: Can't open display :0"
I just typed in "root" (the curser was in the middle of the bottom of the screen)
Then startx
X started with just a hatched background and mouse pointer and nothing else.
I then restarted X (ctrl-alt-bkspace)
X started again like above, then after a moment the desktop appeared.
I going to flash the new kernel now, maybe this will resolve this issue.

EDIT2
Flashed new kernel, cacko isn't on the menu. Maybe I need to get my mtd partition numbers correct in /boot/kernel-cmdline (in cacko)
I selected Zubuntu.
Checking filesystem with fsck, got to about 85% and it failed, then it rebooted automatically.
2nd boot, it didn't need the filesysytm check.
I still get the above error message:
Zubuntu login: Can't open display :0
I had to restart X a second time, it still acts like I posted above.
I tried to set the date/time with the "date" command. The screen flashed and locked up.
The date/time changed on the taskbar to the new entry. (the old date was jan 01 1970)
I need to use the reset switch in the battery box now.

Back in Zubuntu. Taskmanager is showing CPU @ 100% constantly now. On first install, it would vary and settle down to about 40-50%
I don't see any high numbers, I have about 12 entries showing -1% all others are 0%
terminal takes a lot longer to launch now.
Using top, tskeys is using 92.5% CPU. Before I tried to kill it, it just went away by itself.

EDIT3
If I wait long enough after X starts, I also get the error that Fatty posted about above.
'Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?'

This post has been edited by Jon_J: Dec 30 2008, 07:00 AM

+Quote Post
Fatty
post Dec 29 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Dec 30 2008, 01:15 PM) *

EDIT:
I haven't tried the latest release, I'll download it now. (I've been at another forum reading about ripping/saving blu-ray discs) smile.gif

Thanks JonJ! Flashed and is much faster! Since the description is not a must, I'll keep using the old one.

BTW, any Pretec WIFI CF user able to bring up wifi under Zubuntu? With the new patches, my card is recognized as wlan0 (from dmesg), but I failed to bring up the interface and the CF keeps blinking. The CF works under Debian as eth1.

+Quote Post
klaxon
post Dec 30 2008, 06:47 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 22,080

I've tried to run Cacko from NAND with zubuntu with my C860
I can see Cacko in the menu but it doesn't want to boot.
I used /var/log/dmesg for kernel-cmdline.

+Quote Post
lineager
post Dec 30 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 21,007

QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 29 2008, 09:40 PM) *

EDIT:
I haven't tried the latest release, I'll download it now. (I've been at another forum reading about ripping/saving blu-ray discs) smile.gif

Thanks JonJ! Flashed and is much faster! Since the description is not a must, I'll keep using the old one.

BTW, any Pretec WIFI CF user able to bring up wifi under Zubuntu? With the new patches, my card is recognized as wlan0 (from dmesg), but I failed to bring up the interface and the CF keeps blinking. The CF works under Debian as eth1.

Fatty, I got the same problem as your first post. Does the original spitz multibook kernal fix those problems?
If yes, please send me a copy of the kernal. My Planex GW-CF11X also fail to load... huh.gif

+Quote Post
Fatty
post Dec 30 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(lineager @ Dec 31 2008, 02:36 AM) *
QUOTE(Fatty @ Dec 29 2008, 09:40 PM) *

EDIT:

Fatty, I got the same problem as your first post. Does the original spitz multibook kernal fix those problems?
If yes, please send me a copy of the kernal. My Planex GW-CF11X also fail to load... huh.gif

PMed.

That will fix the slow probing issue, but no distro description will be shown.

+Quote Post
dinorex
post Dec 30 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 9,186

i have tried this using my 3100, but i found the following traps

a/ the boot menu options are different: it has no (Internal Flash Experiment) option, only the CF option is displayed (the internal CF)

b/ when i choose this option the kernel was trapped by saying "Warning: unable to open an initial console".

it seems like there should be a step on flashing the Internal installation on the Zubuntu. Please advise for any extra steps involved. Thz.

+Quote Post
Fatty
post Dec 30 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(dinorex @ Dec 31 2008, 06:28 AM) *
i have tried this using my 3100, but i found the following traps

a/ the boot menu options are different: it has no (Internal Flash Experiment) option, only the CF option is displayed (the internal CF)

b/ when i choose this option the kernel was trapped by saying "Warning: unable to open an initial console".

it seems like there should be a step on flashing the Internal installation on the Zubuntu. Please advise for any extra steps involved. Thz.

a. The internal version is only experimental. The method provided by Cortez at the moment install the distro in SD only. In fact, afaik, the multiboot kernel will search any valid partition (SD, CF, internal HDD or even internal mem block) with valid boot image/kernel command/description within /boot. So it is only up to you where to place the distros.

b. For the initial console issue as well as rtc one could be solved as advised by suggested in Cortez's blog:

Booting in the emergency system, mounting the zubuntu root file system, changing to /dev and there doing:
CODE
mknod -m 660 console c 5 1
mknod -m 660 null c 1 3
mknod -m 660 rtc c 10 135

+Quote Post
dinorex
post Dec 30 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 9,186

O...... i've just reformated the MD for android.... seems like i need to untar the desktop again for another couple of hours ... lol

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Dec 30 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 8,821

I'm trying to get wifi working and the settings files seem to be in different places than pdaxrom or angstrom.
I have an ambicom WL1100C-CF. This card works fine in cacko, pdaxrom, and angstrom.
What is the preferred method to get wifi connected in ubuntu/zubuntu? (without a GUI for now)
My access point is open with no encryption when I'm trying this.
So I went to ubuntu forums and studied this howto:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5...=network+config

Unencrypted Connection
All commands typed at the command line:
<interface> = wlan0 in my case.
CODE
ifconfig <interface> down
dhclient -r <interface> (error: There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 0 wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801 Can't create addrlist socket)
ifconfig <interface> up (card lights up and flashes)
iwconfig <interface> essid "ESSID_IN_QUOTES"  (card lights up and stays lit)
iwconfig <interface> mode Managed
dhclient <interface> (error: There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 0 wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801 Can't create addrlist socket )

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 08:06 PM