OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you like to see in Cacko 1.22 ROM?, Starting on a new version...
maslovsky
post Aug 23 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 89

Hello everyone,

I thought it's about time to work on the next version of the Cacko Qtopia ROM. The main reason is that I was planning to include most recent versions of bluez and wifi (orinoco/hostap) drivers, and than requries patching and building the kernel, so hotfixes won't do. Here is what I planned:

- all fixes from 1.21 A and B

- use new compressed file system (quashfs) to store /usr. My tests show that it provides 10% better compression than cramfs (this gives us about 2 Mb of additional ROM space) and has a very good performance.

- include latest bluez drivers (already have them runnig perfectly on my own Zaurus). This should add support for HIP profile (bluetooth keyboards and mice)

- include latest orinoco and hostap drivers. Orinoco drivers include updated firmware for socket/symbol cards, hostap drivers support WPA and other wifi features. This will requrie to upgrade Wireless Extentions in the kernel and remove support for wnan-ng drivers. This will also make wellenreiter work out of the box. I've been using such setup on my Zaurus for months now without any problems...

- support USB CF Host via linux hotplug instead of usbmgr. The main benifit is that hostplug is all written in scripts, so it's very easy to update and support.

Those are the main points of the upgrade, but any other ideas and suggestions are welcome!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
acpkendo
post Aug 23 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,327

Any chance we could see a version of this ROM for the 5500? I've heard great things about it, but I don't have an 8x0 series device, and would really like to see something new (esp. if it is Qtopia 1.6-based)

+Quote Post
PsionX
post Aug 23 2004, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,597

Hi..
i would like to see a modula structure.. for the programs. A rom with Sharp program (Calendar & Address) with Hancom suite, and a version without them to use Kdepimi & Hancom or textmaker as ipk.. same things for Video Player, Netfront or Mirror. I have a C750 with some beautiful programs, i never used wink.gif .
more reflexion .. after.

+Quote Post
raduga
post Aug 23 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,125

QUOTE(maslovsky @ Aug 23 2004, 07:49 AM)
Hello everyone,

I thought it's about time to work on the next version of the Cacko Qtopia ROM. The main reason is that I was planning to include most recent versions of bluez and wifi (orinoco/hostap) drivers, and than requries patching and building the kernel, so hotfixes won't do. Here is what I planned:

- all fixes from 1.21 A and B

- use new compressed file system (quashfs) to store /usr. My tests show that it provides 10% better compression than cramfs (this gives us about 2 Mb of additional ROM space) and has a very good performance.

- include latest bluez drivers (already have them runnig perfectly on my own Zaurus). This should add support for HIP profile (bluetooth keyboards and mice)

- include latest orinoco and hostap drivers. Orinoco drivers include updated firmware for socket/symbol cards, hostap drivers support WPA and other wifi features. This will requrie to upgrade Wireless Extentions in the kernel and remove support for wnan-ng drivers. This will also make wellenreiter work out of the box. I've been using such setup on my Zaurus for months now without any problems...

- support USB CF Host via linux hotplug instead of usbmgr. The main benifit is that hostplug is all written in scripts, so it's very easy to update and support.

Those are the main points of the upgrade, but any other ideas and suggestions are welcome!

What would you like to see in Cacko 1.22 ROM?

ability to dual boot with pdaXrom, with one common kernel.

Is this something you can do, or something that needs to be fixed from the pdaXrom side? Or is it something that both the Cacko and pdaXrom people have to work together, to create?

I would really, really like to dual the two usefully. Cacko QT rom makes a *far* better pda, but pdaXrom makes a much more useable portable PC.

+Quote Post
iamasmith
post Aug 23 2004, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,928

I don't know if it's possible to get a default configuration of Keyhelper so that it knows when XQT is running and doesn't translate.

It's really nice to have / mapped on the 860 keyboard but it causes keylock issues with XQT - haven't been able to resolve this using the UseFilterApps function but only had my Z for about a couple of months so I'm still a bit new to this Qtopia stuff.

+ maybe defaults in sdcontrol for noatime on non fat formatted SD cards ?

+ have you tried XFS filesystem on SD Cards ? - don't know if this is viable, the journal may be too big. I hear that reiserfs is a min 32Mb but don't know about XFS.

Oh, and a home page for the ROM. The forum works quite well but with the home page gone I keep having to tell people that 'no I don't think Cacko Qtopia is dead even though the site bounces to pdaxrom.org wink.gif

Regards,

Andy

+Quote Post
iamasmith
post Aug 23 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,928

QUOTE(maslovsky @ Aug 23 2004, 07:49 AM)

Hey Maslovsky,

Is this new fs quashfs or Squashfs ? if it's quashfs do you have a link to the project ? can only find a link to some .ru site which I can't read.

+ you say cramfs for the current /usr... I thought this was jffs2 and based on gzip...... gzip seems a reasonable compression for the fs. Does the compression on s/quashfs have any performance hit that you know of ????

Regards,

Andy

+Quote Post
mcamou
post Aug 23 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,385

QUOTE(PsionX @ Aug 23 2004, 06:08 PM)
Hi..
i would like to see a modula structure.. for the programs. A rom with Sharp program (Calendar & Address) with Hancom suite, and a version without them to use Kdepimi & Hancom or textmaker as ipk.. same things for Video Player, Netfront or Mirror. I have a C750 with some beautiful programs, i never used wink.gif .
more reflexion .. after.

Second this. How about a base ROM with no apps and then a bunch of ipk's with the extra stuff? (cal/addr/hancom/video player/etc....)

+Quote Post
Zuber
post Aug 23 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,289

I found the sheet application very slow on this rom compared to on standard rom. Particularly at opening files.

Double and triple checked. Also confirmed by another user.

No idea why, so if you can figure out and fix...

Also, occasionally would unexpectedly go native Japanese on me which drove me nuts.

+Quote Post
nathanwms
post Aug 23 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 320

I'd love to see a gui bluetooth connection manager for BlueZ. I'm learning to get things done text wise in the file system, but a gui would really help us noobs a lot.

+Quote Post
Mickeyl
post Aug 23 2004, 01:22 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 907

Anton, stay away from orinoco 0.15rc for symbol/spectrum cards. We have lots of problems which are not in 0.13e. I have reported that to the developers, but no response yet.

+Quote Post
maslovsky
post Aug 23 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Mickeyl @ Aug 24 2004, 12:22 AM)
Anton, stay away from orinoco 0.15rc for symbol/spectrum cards. We have lots of problems which are not in 0.13e. I have reported that to the developers, but no response yet.

Actualy, I've already run into them and even sent you an e-mail... I guess I'll have to get back to the proven 13e...

+Quote Post
maslovsky
post Aug 23 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #12

Thanks, guys, for your feedback!

ability to dual boot with pdaXrom, with one common kernel.

Is this something you can do, or something that needs to be fixed from the pdaXrom side? Or is it something that both the Cacko and pdaXrom people have to work together, to create?

I would really, really like to dual the two usefully. Cacko QT rom makes a *far* better pda, but pdaXrom makes a much more useable portable PC.

I remember talking to sash some time ago about that, but we ended up with ssome technical problems (I don't remember exactly what). I'll try to bring this up again - I'd like to have such setup myself.

I don't know if it's possible to get a default configuration of Keyhelper so that it knows when XQT is running and doesn't translate.

I think I could take a look.

maybe defaults in sdcontrol for noatime on non fat formatted SD cards ?

I think it already does that...

have you tried XFS filesystem on SD Cards ? - don't know if this is viable, the journal may be too big. I hear that reiserfs is a min 32Mb but don't know about XFS.

Any particular reason for having on-typical filesystems on memory cards?

Oh, and a home page for the ROM. The forum works quite well but with the home page gone I keep having to tell people that 'no I don't think Cacko Qtopia is dead even though the site bounces to pdaxrom.org

Yes, I know smile.gif I wish I could find a person willing to maintain the site at his/her spare time. I just can't cach up with yet another peice of work... Any valonteer?

Is this new fs quashfs or Squashfs ? if it's quashfs do you have a link to the project ? can only find a link to some .ru site which I can't read.

+ you say cramfs for the current /usr... I thought this was jffs2 and based on gzip...... gzip seems a reasonable compression for the fs. Does the compression on s/quashfs have any performance hit that you know of ????

It is squashfs (my typo). We've been using cramfs for /usr for quite a while. It's a read-only file system, providing much better compression that jffs2. squashfs is even better with no noticable performance drop.

I found the sheet application very slow on this rom compared to on standard rom. Particularly at opening files.

Double and triple checked. Also confirmed by another user.

No idea why, so if you can figure out and fix...

Interesting - never noticed that (probaby because never used the original ROM smile.gif
Anyway, I'll see what I can do...

Hi..
more reflexion .. after.

Second this. How about a base ROM with no apps and then a bunch of ipk's with the extra stuff? (cal/addr/hancom/video player/etc....)

The main problem is that fewer programs will fit with such a setup. Basicaly because jffs2 used for /home has worse compression than cramfs or the new squashfs. Also, I'm not sure how many people would want to install a bunch of application packages right after flashing the ROM. Maybe I'll open a poll later to find out smile.gif

+Quote Post
maslovsky
post Aug 23 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(nathanwms @ Aug 23 2004, 11:31 PM)
I'd love to see a gui bluetooth connection manager for BlueZ. I'm learning to get things done text wise in the file system, but a gui would really help us noobs a lot.

I suggest you keep pinging tumnus - he's been promising us a bluez gui for ages smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ling
post Aug 23 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,563

I would like to see you reduce Multimedia to one (1) full-featured player. I think that Kino2 will the appropriate codecs fills the bill. I don't see that the redundancy adds anything and the default configuration still doesn't deal with m3u or ogm at all.

I also would like to see the buttons along the right side of my screen ( on the 860) reactivated.

Most importantly, I would like to see email fixed so that when I try to select an address for an outgoing message, the addresses are in (English) alphabetical order.

Thanks for a great ROM.

+Quote Post
snufkin
post Aug 23 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,393

QUOTE(mcamou @ Aug 24 2004, 03:28 AM)
Hi..
more reflexion .. after.

support, e.g. someone like NetFront and some like Opera.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 01:13 AM