following Newbix howto (http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/leurent/zaurus.html),
within the C3000 it worked fine, but:
When I connect the Z afterwards to my PC via USB (in storage mode),
the PC cannot access Z's HDD anymore.

Form these post http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13453
and my own experience I am pretty sure that the Z unmounts hdd3 before
exporting it via USB.
And afterwards remounts it.
Somewhere there some scripts must still assume a vfat system on hdd3.
It also does not get remounted after the USB connection finishes
(mounting it manually is no problem though).

Anybody any idea where these scripts are?

Best,
ms

PS: another issue was, that after rebooting, Z said hdd3 error!! forever
(even I changes rc.rofilesys according to Newbix description) -
does it work for everybody else?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mschellens
post Jun 24 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414

I think I found something:

/home/etc/hotplug/usbdstorage.agent

I will report back after checking it out.
Greetings,
ms

+Quote Post
Stubear
post Jun 24 2005, 05:49 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,219

Is your PC by any chance a Windows machine?

If so you will NOT get windoze to read an ext3 partition without extra software (which is quite buggy and dies all the time on XP

You are correct that twhatever is exported as usb storage is unmounted for export.

Have a look at /etc/fstab (or /home/etc/fstab) and see what the mount arguments are for hdd3 if you have no luck with usbstorage.agent

Stu

+Quote Post
mschellens
post Jun 24 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Stubear @ Jun 24 2005, 10:49 PM)
Is your PC by any chance a Windows machine?

If so you will NOT get windoze to read an ext3 partition without extra software (which is quite buggy and dies all the time on XP

You are correct that twhatever is exported as usb storage is unmounted for export.

Have a look at /etc/fstab (or /home/etc/fstab) and see what the mount arguments are for hdd3 if you have no luck with usbstorage.agent

Stu

Thanks for the reply Stu,

Indeed I was using a windows machine.
Do you *know* that ext3 would never work with windows or do you *think* this.
My point is: as the disk is physical on the zaurus some module (or ordinary program?) exports it via USB. As Z runs linux, no problem here with ext3.
I don't know what protocol is used, but as I had to install the Z driver under XP,
I assume the Z it is not an ordinary USB drive.
Bt then: that would be the reason why sharp uses vfat instead of ext3.
And my PC tells me it is FAT32 also...

Anyway: Do you have some hints where to look for the exact mechanism.
I am sure it is possible (maybe not feasible though) to emulate vfat over USB using an ext3 drive.

Regards,
ms

+Quote Post
Stubear
post Jun 24 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,219

QUOTE(mschellens @ Jun 24 2005, 11:27 PM)

I know that at present that MS windows does not contain drivers to understand EXT2, EXT3, reiserfs, jffs.

The only filesystems that windows knows and understands (without external drivers) is FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.

My point is: as the disk is physical on the zaurus some module (or ordinary program?) exports it via USB. As Z runs linux, no problem here with ext3.
I don't know what protocol is used, but as I had to install the Z driver under XP,

When the zaurus exports the hd (or SD or CF) it doesn't do any translation, it just makes that drive available for the usb storage driver under windows (or linux or mac) to use the drive (if they can understand the filesystem). The driver you installed under XP for the Z is just for TCP/IP over USB or Serial over USB, the usb storage drivers already exist as part of XP.

You could probably use TCP/IP over USB and access non-FAT filesystems as SAMBA does do filesystem translation.

vfat is the linux driver for reading FAT and FAT32 filesystems, Sharp formats the hard disk as FAT32 solely for the reason that Windows wouldn't be able to access the drive otherwise.

I am sure it is possible (maybe not feasible though) to emulate vfat over USB using an ext3 drive.

Regards,
ms

The only way at possible to mount a ext2 or ext3 drive under Windows is to use a third party driver. The only one that I have tried is EXT2IFS. As I mentioned in the last post this is still very beta and I had problems writing stuff to ext3 drives using this.

If you want to regularly access ext2/3 drives under windows then you are probably best off switching to USB networking (TCP/IP) instead of USB storage as SAMBA does the translation and it's possible to access the internal disk, the CF card and the SD card all at the same time (unlike USB storage). The downside is that you will have to install the Z drivers onto the machine you want to access the zaurus from.

hope this helps

Stu

+Quote Post
mschellens
post Jun 24 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Stubear @ Jun 25 2005, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE(mschellens @ Jun 24 2005, 11:27 PM)

I know that at present that MS windows does not contain drivers to understand EXT2, EXT3, reiserfs, jffs.

The only filesystems that windows knows and understands (without external drivers) is FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.

When the zaurus exports the hd (or SD or CF) it doesn't do any translation, it just makes that drive available for the usb storage driver under windows (or linux or mac) to use the drive (if they can understand the filesystem). The driver you installed under XP for the Z is just for TCP/IP over USB or Serial over USB, the usb storage drivers already exist as part of XP.

You could probably use TCP/IP over USB and access non-FAT filesystems as SAMBA does do filesystem translation.

vfat is the linux driver for reading FAT and FAT32 filesystems, Sharp formats the hard disk as FAT32 solely for the reason that Windows wouldn't be able to access the drive otherwise.

Regards,
ms

The only way at possible to mount a ext2 or ext3 drive under Windows is to use a third party driver. The only one that I have tried is EXT2IFS. As I mentioned in the last post this is still very beta and I had problems writing stuff to ext3 drives using this.

If you want to regularly access ext2/3 drives under windows then you are probably best off switching to USB networking (TCP/IP) instead of USB storage as SAMBA does the translation and it's possible to access the internal disk, the CF card and the SD card all at the same time (unlike USB storage). The downside is that you will have to install the Z drivers onto the machine you want to access the zaurus from.

hope this helps

Stu

Thanks again,
I will go with a loopback then.
ms

+Quote Post
gtJormungand
post Jun 25 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,682

I've been using SMB networking to access hdd3 from my windows computer. It works pretty well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 07:56 AM