Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Native Gcc Compiler For X/qt, almost ready
miskinis
post Jun 16 2006, 05:36 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,159

QUOTE(bam @ Jun 16 2006, 12:51 AM)
oof, maybe I can setup a minimal xqt rootless mode...

I get the feeling that the rootless option although pretty powerful, gets too
complicated as soon as you want to run several X clients simultaneously,
i.e. multiple DISPLAY's, from what I read in the rootless post. I get the
impression it is being abandoned.

I was hoping for a qtopia version...

I'm very hesitant to spend time learning about the Qt API to provide a Qt-based
LINUX conversion of Space Trader. I feel an X11-based version would allow
almost anyone with running LINUX to enjoy the game ultimately. I am very interested
in this particular "packaging of an X/Qt environment", whether it be just the X server,
apps and a gcc development environment, OR the full pdaXrom under X/Qt.

Since I wish to get this setup on a 5500 first (then an 6000), I am more interested
in saving resources and living without the full pdaXrom.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 18 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(miskinis @ Jun 16 2006, 11:36 PM)
oof, maybe I can setup a minimal xqt rootless mode...

I get the feeling that the rootless option although pretty powerful, gets too
complicated as soon as you want to run several X clients simultaneously,
i.e. multiple DISPLAY's, from what I read in the rootless post. I get the
impression it is being abandoned.

I was hoping for a qtopia version...

I'm very hesitant to spend time learning about the Qt API to provide a Qt-based
LINUX conversion of Space Trader. I feel an X11-based version would allow
almost anyone with running LINUX to enjoy the game ultimately. I am very interested
in this particular "packaging of an X/Qt environment", whether it be just the X server,
apps and a gcc development environment, OR the full pdaXrom under X/Qt.

Since I wish to get this setup on a 5500 first (then an 6000), I am more interested
in saving resources and living without the full pdaXrom.

actually, the rootless mode thing is not as powerful as hoped for imho, but I got around the DISPLAY issue, etc..., ie you can have multiple rootless apps running concurrently, but I wouldn't recommend it because the Z doesn't have that much memory. For example, and these are just numbers I use for illustration purpose and not the real memory usage of Xqt, but lets say the whole X environment uses 50MB of memory plus apps, the rootless env would perhaps use 35MB, but if you run two rootless apps, then it would be 2 x 35MB + app1 + app2, whereas the full X environment would just be 50MB + app1 + app2
it doesn't really matter what you do, memory usage is the big problem and the 64MB of RAM in the Z is really the bottleneck. a swapfile is very helpful, but it suffers from the slow disk i/o

anyway, I am trying to get Qt 3.3.5 working under XQt, not so much joy so far...

+Quote Post
miskinis
post Jun 20 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 6,159

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 19 2006, 01:44 AM)
[...] a swapfile is very helpful, but it suffers from the slow disk i/o

Disk? What disk? I have no disk! I use a swapfile on SD myself! smile.gif

Sorry to hear Qt 3.3.5 is frustrating you. I look forward to trying any new
release you provide, and hopefully it will work on the SL-5500.

Best of luck! John

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 21 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(miskinis @ Jun 21 2006, 05:14 AM)
QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 19 2006, 01:44 AM)
[...] a swapfile is very helpful, but it suffers from the slow disk i/o

Disk? What disk? I have no disk! I use a swapfile on SD myself! smile.gif

Sorry to hear Qt 3.3.5 is frustrating you. I look forward to trying any new
release you provide, and hopefully it will work on the SL-5500.

Best of luck! John

when I say disk its a general term for microdrive, SD/CF cards, usb stick....

Qt3 is still giving me grief. i compile it every night with different options and every morning I find it compiled successfully without errors, but it won't run or link apps sad.gif
I think I am getting closer though, getting different linker errors so seems like I am on the right track. A few more overnight compilations and I might get there...
Once qt3 is compiled, I will try to compile kde3 and then I would have a full environment (except SDL which is still trouble).
why am I doing this? I know kdemicrolibs exists and can be used to port qt3/kde3 apps for qte, but I want a full X environment with qt3 and kde3 running under X/Qt.
Took me a day to compile Qt3 Designer natively on pdaXrom, but I want it on Sharp ROM too smile.gif

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Jun 21 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 208

As I've said before (and if not, I should have... rolleyes.gif )

You're 'da Man, Meanie!!!!!

Thanks as always for ALL the great stuff you're doing for all of us Zster's....

biggrin.gif

Mark

+Quote Post
yh2006
post Jun 21 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 10,121

Hi Meanie,

Your work is truly amazing and beneficial to newbies like me. I am looking forward to try out your pdaxqtrom 0.8.0.

I have an older version of the gcc complier installed using the install script but I would like to uninstall it completely/cleaning so I can install the upcoming gcc release (with QT3). What would be the best way to delete it? I am not sure how to remove all those symbolic links created during installation.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 22 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(yh2006 @ Jun 22 2006, 01:41 PM)
Hi Meanie,

Your work is truly amazing and beneficial to newbies like me. I am looking forward to try out your pdaxqtrom 0.8.0.

I have an older version of the gcc complier installed using the install script but I would like to uninstall it completely/cleaning so I can install the upcoming gcc release (with QT3). What would be the best way to delete it? I am not sure how to remove all those symbolic links created during installation.

Thanks.

the links haven't changed
updating the zgcc image is quite simple. just replace the cramfs or squashfs file (after you unmount the image first of course)
then run zgcc-setup just to be sure

anyway, I finally managed to compile qt3 in such a way that I can now successfully compile the samples and tutorials.... now I have to rebuild everything with shared libraries instead of static linking...

look, qt3 sample app under x/qt smile.gif it's getting there but still quite a lot of problems to iron out...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  qt_x11_tetrix.jpg ( 66.2K ) Number of downloads: 194

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 25 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 23 2006, 01:08 PM)
Hi Meanie,

Thanks.

updating the zgcc image is quite simple. just replace the cramfs or squashfs file (after you unmount the image first of course)

anyway, I finally managed to compile qt3 in such a way that I can now successfully compile the samples and tutorials.... now I have to rebuild everything with shared libraries instead of static linking...

look, qt3 sample app under x/qt smile.gif it's getting there but still quite a lot of problems to iron out...

still no joy with qt3. the sample apps compile and link fine when doing it statically but that results in huge binaries... but linking them with shared libraries don't work still sad.gif
so i decided to compile binutils 2.16 and see if that's any better.... might as well compile automake and autoconf as well while I'm at it...

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Jun 25 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #54

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 25 2006, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 23 2006, 01:08 PM)
Hi Meanie,

Thanks.

still no joy with qt3. the sample apps compile and link fine when doing it statically but that results in huge binaries... but linking them with shared libraries don't work still sad.gif
so i decided to compile binutils 2.16 and see if that's any better.... might as well compile automake and autoconf as well while I'm at it...

ohmy.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jul 9 2006, 05:02 AM
Post #55

well, got it finally! biggrin.gif
updated the complete zgcc image (gcc compiler 2.95.3 and all the bundled tools: autoconf 2.59, automake 1.9.2, coreutils 5.0, diffutils 2.8.1, gawk 3.1.5, grep 2.5, sed 4.0.9, texinfo 4.8 and binutils 2.16) and was able to compile glibc 2.2.2 and fixed fesetenv and fegetenv.
with this updated compiler and tools as well as a bundled fixed glibc, I managed to compile qt 3.3.6 natively. currently, qt apps compile fine, except the font is messed up sad.gif
new zgcc image will be uploaded soon. i am gonna fix the font problem later. this new image is going to be quite big since it includes quite a lot more files but it can compile so much more stuff.

This post has been edited by Meanie: Jul 12 2006, 03:08 AM

+Quote Post
bam
post Jul 12 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 7,306

cant wait

+Quote Post
yh2006
post Jul 12 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #57

Hi Meanie,

Would the new gcc compiler or future release of pdaxqtrom come with libxml2 and libxml2-devel(if not already)?

Thanks.

+Quote Post
darkloran
post Jul 12 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 5,525

Hi,
QUOTE(yh2006 @ Jul 13 2006, 05:24 AM)
        Would the new gcc compiler or future release of pdaxqtrom come with libxml2 and libxml2-devel(if not already)?

the zgcc-2.95.2 already includes xml2-config for compilation.
the libs are included in package libxml2_2.6.14-1_arm.ipk

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jul 12 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(darkloran @ Jul 13 2006, 04:11 PM)
Hi,
QUOTE(yh2006 @ Jul 13 2006, 05:24 AM)

the zgcc-2.95.2 already includes xml2-config for compilation.
the libs are included in package libxml2_2.6.14-1_arm.ipk

yep, it's always been there, since when I first tried to compile a X11 app with it...
if you install zgcc and the pdaXqtrom-base images, then you have everything you need, headers, config and libraries, otherwise, you will need to install the ipk for the libs which are all available from http://www.thegrinder.ws/Meanies_XQT/pdaxqtrom/feed/base/

zgcc 2.95.3 is the most up to date dev image with lots more updated tools, patched header files and additional static libraries for static linking. a patched glibc-2.2.2. is also included. this image is able to compile almost anything that does not require gcc 3.x

+Quote Post
yh2006
post Jul 17 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #60

Hi Meanie,

I tried to install the pdaxqtrom base, app, java, dictionary, and zgcc images all together with the provided shell script to my c1000 (loaded with cacko rom). But I always get the following errors during installation:

/home/zaurus/.free42/Voyager42.layout: Read-only file system
/home/zaurus/.free42/42ck.gif: Read-only file system

mount: Mounting /usr/mnt.rom/card/pdaxqtrom0.8.0/zgcc2-95-3.squashfs on /mnt/zgcc failed: Invalid argument

...linking stardic dictionaries
ln:/usr/share/stardic/dic: No such file or directory

Java Runtime Environment and Tools
Installing java
warning:/usr/bin/jamvm already exists
java runtime environment configured and ready
Installing java applications...
chown:unknown user name: /home/zaurus/Applications/hdcrawler
chown:unknown user name: /home/zaurus/Applications/hdpad

I tried using the cleanup script and then re-run the install script but still get those errors.

I noticed that the zgcc dir in /mnt is empty and there are only 4 loop devices created for base, apps, java, and dictionaries but not zgcc.
What should I do to get zgcc properly installed and mounted?

Do I need to care about those output related to free42?

I also found out that nedit and stardict actually seg fault when I tried to run them with xlauncher -debug.

Thanks.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 12:03 AM