Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mp3s, moving from Itunes
fishcube
post Oct 3 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,444

I want to move my music from Itunes to Zaurus C1000. What is the easiest method?

I ended up moving most of the songs onto 5 CD's, but they are in .cda format and don't have any song info attached.

I only have 12 itunes songs out of 75 songs. The rest have been added from my own library of music CD's.

??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jfv
post Oct 3 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 202

QUOTE(fishcube @ Oct 3 2006, 07:18 PM)
I want to move my music from Itunes to Zaurus C1000.  What is the easiest method?

I ended up moving most of the songs onto 5 CD's, but they are in .cda format and don't have any song info attached. 

I only have 12 itunes songs out of 75 songs.  The rest have been added from my own library of music CD's. 

??

The songs that you got off your CD's can be saved as MP3's in iTunes (this has nothing to do with the Zaurus), then you can copy them to the Zaurus or any MP3 player and they'll play. You can't do that with songs bought from the iTunes music store because of DRM. Although circumventing DRM is illegal, there is a lot of information on how to do it on the web.

Felipe

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Oct 3 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

There are plenty of free mp3 file extractors.

I personaly like easycdda. The old ones are great. Very configurable.

+Quote Post
fishcube
post Oct 3 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(jfv @ Oct 3 2006, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE(fishcube @ Oct 3 2006, 07:18 PM)
I want to move my music from Itunes to Zaurus C1000.  What is the easiest method?

I only have 12 itunes songs out of 75 songs.  The rest have been added from my own library of music CD's. 

??

The songs that you got off your CD's can be saved as MP3's in iTunes (this has nothing to do with the Zaurus), then you can copy them to the Zaurus or any MP3 player and they'll play. You can't do that with songs bought from the iTunes music store because of DRM. Although circumventing DRM is illegal, there is a lot of information on how to do it on the web.

Felipe

Then I don't know why they are in .cda format. I burned the CD's from itunes.

+Quote Post
fishcube
post Oct 3 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #5

Looks like on the computer, they are listed as .m4a format? Can this work on Zaurus? I've tried changing to mp3 format and it says its converted, but still says in AAC format.

??

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Oct 3 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #6

m4a is a different kind of compressed file. I personaly dislike everything ipod represents and is attempting. You need to convert your files into mp3 from your original archives.

Some m4a files are encoded with DRM which prohibits such conversions if you purchased your stuff from itunes store. For this reason, many people buy the Physical CD and ripps them into mp3 just like I do. From now on, get your stuff physically and do not rely on digital downloads. Your basically not owning it and you are just renting it. Missrepresentation of this will go into courts sooner or later as soon as people can get a clue what is really going on. Anyway, Easy CDDA has a file converter so you can cross ripp your m4a files into something else.

http://www.poikosoft.com/ this software is not free but i just love it. do your homework and do some research... tongue.gif on file conversions.

here is a free one http://www.mp3-converter.com/cdda_xtractor.htm it uses lame and if you install it, you might need to install lame encoder which is opensource mp3. make sure your ripper supports id3 tags for artist identification.

I think you can also tell your itunes to ripp into mp3 instead of m4a. Not sure because it just really sucks.

so three things you need is in a ripper

1. mp3 ripp
2. cdda lookup to identify the cd and label the album tracks
3. id3 encoding.

the cdda xtractor which is free from the link i provided does that, you may need to tweek it so you can ripp to mp3.

of course your itunes will not work with this because, you need to tell your itunes where you ripp the albums too. really sucks.

+Quote Post
fishcube
post Oct 3 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #7

Found out I can rip to CD then rip back to itunes to Mp3 format. But, I do need to get song info.

I read about cdda, but it didn't say anything about grabbing song info? just reformatting songs to different formats?

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Oct 3 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,570

In the iTunes preferences you can set it to what you want to rip cds to. It started out as mp3, now it rips to m4a. You can set it back to mp3. I rip all my stuff to mp3. The fastest easiest way once you have them as mp3 is just copy them straight from the iTunes library. There's also a way to make it burn mp3 cds.

+Quote Post
nilch
post Oct 4 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,034

QUOTE(Cresho @ Oct 3 2006, 10:46 PM)
Some m4a files are encoded with DRM which prohibits such conversions if you purchased your stuff from itunes store.  For this reason, many people buy the Physical CD and ripps them into mp3 just like I do.  From now on, get your stuff physically and do not rely on digital downloads.  Your basically not owning it and you are just renting it.  Missrepresentation of this will go into courts sooner or later as soon as people can get a clue what is really going on.  Anyway, Easy CDDA has a file converter so you can cross ripp your m4a files into something else.

Just to digress a bit here ...

Cresho, arent you being a bit too strong here denouncing digital downloads in this age and time and instead supporting what the RIAA has also been saying - keep buying the physical CD for $15-$20 bucks a piece.

I don't agree there. While I do agree that iTunes is actually setting you back somewhat with their proprietary codecs and DRM too, that does not taint the whole of Digital Downloads. There are many LEGAL download sites where you can get simple plain MP3 (ok, most time maybe WMA's) etc which you can own and copy from device to device (they are few and far between though).

If times are to change and we are to catalyse that change, then you have to accept this new paradigm of music ditribution - digital downloads. And the msuic companies will also support such legal methods of distribution eventually - like they already are.
Of course, that does not mean we have to accept all kinds of disparate DRM methods being forced down on us, which also do not play with each other. That I do not agree with. But neither do I agree with buying a physical CD (or record) for $15 and have to listen to 10 bad songs when I just wanted to listen to 1 good song in there.

Just a little discourse ... :-)

+Quote Post
fishcube
post Oct 4 2006, 06:24 AM
Post #10

Yes, as I stated in previous post, I did import the songs into itunes, then burned new CD's making them into Mp3's.

What I need now is to get song info, they just say "Track 01" etc.

+Quote Post
nilch
post Oct 4 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,034

The moment you burn them to CD as audio CD's, it will lost the track info.
Hence when you rip them back from your Audio cd format (.cda) to mp3, you have lost the track info.

I think not all CD burning tools keep track info when burning to audio CD format.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Oct 4 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(nilch @ Oct 4 2006, 05:28 AM)
The moment you burn them to CD as audio CD's, it will lost the track info.
Hence when you rip them back from your Audio cd format (.cda) to mp3, you have lost the track info.

I think not all CD burning tools keep track info when burning to audio CD format.

I've yet to see a cd player support id3 tags, so that makes since. If you reimport as mp3 your computer should redownload the id3 tags. Then you can move them to the Z

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Oct 4 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #13

but if yo make a cd with mp3's, my kenwood player in my car reads off the mp3s id3 tags for each track

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Oct 4 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Cresho @ Oct 4 2006, 04:34 PM)
but if yo make a cd with mp3's, my kenwood player in my car reads off the mp3s id3 tags for each track

Right, it's a mp3 cd. Cd audio cd's don't have the track info.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 10:17 AM