Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fluxbox on X11 Feed
jerrybme
post Dec 23 2003, 05:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 401

Anyone else notice that Fluxbox doesn't install from the feed properly?

I was reinstalling apps after flashing to the new ROM and have been in the habit of installing from a copy of the feed on my CF (I'm lazy and like to have the dependencies installed automatically). Fluxbox kept throwing an error (ERROR: Failed to retrieve...) So I changed ipkg.config to point back to cacko.biz and got the same error.

Fluxbox will install fine manually.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Dec 23 2003, 09:52 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I get the same error, whether using the cacko.biz feed or the zug feed.

You say that you can get the local (CF) feed to work? I keep getting an error on the Packages creation script...

+Quote Post
jerrybme
post Dec 23 2003, 11:19 AM
Post #3

You say that you can get the local (CF) feed to work?  I keep getting an error on the Packages creation script...

Yes, I just copied all of the files from the www.cacko.biz/~sash/feed directory into /feed on my CF and it works fine. I just comment out the first line in ipkg.conf and uncomment the second.

+Quote Post
ScottYelich
post Dec 24 2003, 07:50 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 609

You say that you can get the local (CF) feed to work?  I keep getting an error on the Packages creation script...

Yes, I just copied all of the files from the www.cacko.biz/~sash/feed directory into /feed on my CF and it works fine. I just comment out the first line in ipkg.conf and uncomment the second.

check out the zug x11feed for a faster download, etc. I'll post my mirror address after I move the files from /private to /public today... I don't want the url to change too much.

I tried fluxbox. I don't see what the advantage is over rox. Also, rox appears to be highly customized. I haven't tried the afterstep -- although I will probably compile WMs from www.xwinman.org -- just for the fun of it. I'll proably be staying with rox just because it's pretty and seems to get the attention from the cacko team.

Scott

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Dec 24 2003, 07:53 AM
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Still doesn't work for me... I wonder if it's my CF card? Did you create a Packages fiile using ipkg-make-index.sh? I've tried with the feed copied to my CF with and without the Packages file.

weird

+Quote Post
jerrybme
post Dec 24 2003, 08:14 AM
Post #6

Did you create a Packages fiile using ipkg-make-index.sh?  I've tried with the feed copied to my CF with and without the Packages file. weird

No, I simply used the packages file from the Cacko site (and mkPackages too). I created the /feed dir off of the root of the card. Using the same path as in the 2nd line in the ipkg.conf file. Weird indeed.

+Quote Post
mjotad
post Dec 24 2003, 08:28 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,147

I've only been able to get qPackager to work from a local feed on /mnt/cf/feed if I first create an index from www.cacko.biz/feed. If after flashing the rom I change /etc/ipkg.conf to point to /mnt/cf/feed, then qPackager doesn't find anything. If I start by getting the list from cacko.biz, and *then* change /etc/ipkg.conf to point to the local feed it finds all the ipk's on the compact flash and updates the list. I haven't work out why yet, but this method works for me.

+Quote Post
jerrybme
post Dec 24 2003, 08:32 AM
Post #8

I tried fluxbox.  I don't see what the advantage is over rox.  Also, rox appears to be highly customized.  I haven't tried the afterstep -- although I will probably compile WMs from www.xwinman.org -- just for the fun of it.  I'll proably be staying with rox just because it's pretty and seems to get the attention from the cacko team.

From a practical view point, I agree ROX is probably better (easier to see & use on a small screen) But I like the way the fluxbox menu works; it is so easily customizable and I prefer the smaller task bar at the bottom of the screen. To be honest I go back & forth between the WMs. I guess half of the fun is being able to play around and always tweaking the Z while we wait for the killer PIM app that will make this ROM the one have for the C7X0 & 8X0 series biggrin.gif !

Jerry

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2014 - 01:30 PM