OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> microSD size
geomannie
post Jan 9 2018, 06:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 815,822

Hi,

I am not if this has been answered, but can anyone confirm the size of microSD that the Gemini will support?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Varti
post Jan 9 2018, 06:47 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21,713

QUOTE(geomannie @ Jan 9 2018, 03:40 PM) *
Hi,

I am not if this has been answered, but can anyone confirm the size of microSD that the Gemini will support?

Thanks

Maximum 256GB, this has been confirmed by Planet. Actually, it is not known if this is because of a hardware limitation, a software only one (hence, this limitation will be removed with a later kernel), or if they are just claiming that the don't have tested SD cards with a bigger capacity, so they can't confirm if they are supported or not. It would be anyway interesting to try 512GB or bigger cards, too bad they are still very expensive (last time I checked they were sold for around 300 euros).

Varti

+Quote Post
geomannie
post Jan 9 2018, 07:55 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Varti @ Jan 9 2018, 06:47 AM) *
QUOTE(geomannie @ Jan 9 2018, 03:40 PM) *
Hi,

Thanks

Maximum 256GB, this has been confirmed by Planet. Actually, it is not known if this is because of a hardware limitation, a software only one (hence, this limitation will be removed with a later kernel), or if they are just claiming that the don't have tested SD cards with a bigger capacity, so they can't confirm if they are supported or not. It would be anyway interesting to try 512GB or bigger cards, too bad they are still very expensive (last time I checked they were sold for around 300 euros).

Varti

Thanks a bunch! However, I am now confused by microSD standards. I see that one can have SD, SDHC or SDXC. Any thoughts as to which the Gemini will support or which is best?

Cheers

+Quote Post
depscribe
post Jan 9 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 815,753

QUOTE(Varti @ Jan 9 2018, 06:47 AM) *

Varti

Doing a little price comparison, the sweet spot for Micro-SD cards right now is 128GB, of which good ones can be had for ~$40. 256MB equivalents are three times as much. My thought is to use a 64GB one I already have until the price of the 256s comes down, but my needs for this device involve some but not vast amounts of data storage.

+Quote Post
Grench
post Jan 9 2018, 11:57 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 816,120

QUOTE(geomannie @ Jan 9 2018, 09:55 AM) *
Thanks a bunch! However, I am now confused by microSD standards. I see that one can have SD, SDHC or SDXC. Any thoughts as to which the Gemini will support or which is best?

Cheers

The long answer would entail a history of TransFlash, MMC, SD, SDHC, SDXC, UHS-I and UHS-II.

The short answer is: Anything labeled microSDHC or labeled microSDXC UHS-I should work fine.

Normal caveats for purchasing flash media apply - reputable brand from a reputable source. There are still a lot of fakes out there.

+Quote Post
geomannie
post Jan 10 2018, 07:11 AM
Post #6

Thanks. Reputable brand SDHC card now ordered in anticipation.

Cheers

QUOTE(Grench @ Jan 9 2018, 11:57 AM) *

Cheers

The long answer would entail a history of TransFlash, MMC, SD, SDHC, SDXC, UHS-I and UHS-II.

The short answer is: Anything labeled microSDHC or labeled microSDXC UHS-I should work fine.

Normal caveats for purchasing flash media apply - reputable brand from a reputable source. There are still a lot of fakes out there.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 10 2018, 09:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,149

AIUI, SDXC cards are identical to SDHC, only the cards come formatted as exFAT rather than FAT.

you can format FAT32 file systems a lot larger with linux than with Windows, the latter simply refuses!

+Quote Post
Grench
post Jan 10 2018, 09:15 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(geomannie @ Jan 10 2018, 09:11 AM) *
Thanks. Reputable brand SDHC card now ordered in anticipation.

Cheers

QUOTE(Grench @ Jan 9 2018, 11:57 AM) *

Cheers

I hope you mean microSDHC. An SDHC card isn't going to physically fit in the microSD slot.

+Quote Post
depscribe
post Jan 10 2018, 10:18 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 10 2018, 09:03 AM) *
AIUI, SDXC cards are identical to SDHC, only the cards come formatted as exFAT rather than FAT.

you can format FAT32 file systems a lot larger with linux than with Windows, the latter simply refuses!

Has Linux found away to read exFAT natively? When I occasionally have had the need to read an exFAT card I've had to employ something called exfat-fuse, which was cooked up at, I think, Google. This is of some significance in that I'd kind of hoped to use the SDC as storage accessible to both Linux and Android sides, so it would pretty much need to be in a format both could read.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 10 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(depscribe @ Jan 10 2018, 06:18 PM) *
Has Linux found away to read exFAT natively? When I occasionally have had the need to read an exFAT card I've had to employ something called exfat-fuse, which was cooked up at, I think, Google. This is of some significance in that I'd kind of hoped to use the SDC as storage accessible to both Linux and Android sides, so it would pretty much need to be in a format both could read.

I'm pretty certain exFAT is only usable as a FUSE file system, probably due to patent encumbrances.

I have a DSLR with a 64GB card and it has to be formatted exFAT for the camera to recognise it (can't even partition it down to 32GB and use FAT32), and I had to install FUSE utils and other things for it to be mountable on Linux.

+Quote Post
depscribe
post Jan 10 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 10 2018, 11:46 AM) *
I'm pretty certain exFAT is only usable as a FUSE file system, probably due to patent encumbrances.

I have a DSLR with a 64GB card and it has to be formatted exFAT for the camera to recognise it (can't even partition it down to 32GB and use FAT32), and I had to install FUSE utils and other things for it to be mountable on Linux.

Me, too (re. DSLR with big card and what needs to be done to mount it). My concern now is what file system might be used for big MicroSD cards that would be happily recognized by both Linux and Android. Is there one?

+Quote Post
Grench
post Jan 11 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(depscribe @ Jan 10 2018, 02:32 PM) *
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 10 2018, 11:46 AM) *

Me, too (re. DSLR with big card and what needs to be done to mount it). My concern now is what file system might be used for big MicroSD cards that would be happily recognized by both Linux and Android. Is there one?

We discussed this over on the Pyra boards and someone came up with a solid but in some ways ironic and sad solution.

Format the partition as NTFS and both Android and Linux as well as Windows should be able to read it native. Cameras are out of luck though. exFAT makes the cameras, Windows and Android happy but not Linux... BUT... On the Pandora (Pyra forums) a community member was able to incorporate the exFAT system in.

In theory, Android devices are native EXT4. I haven't tried that.

We're in for all sorts of entertainment with cards, card speeds, partitioning, formats, etc... It's going to be fun.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 11 2018, 03:34 PM
Post #13

the partition on my memory card containing a debian installation is formatted as ext4, I've not had any problems mounting it on various phones I've had since I set that up.

it's a shame that there's no F2FS driver for Windows: https://f2fs.wiki.kernel.org/development

+Quote Post
depscribe
post Jan 11 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 11 2018, 03:34 PM) *
the partition on my memory card containing a debian installation is formatted as ext4, I've not had any problems mounting it on various phones I've had since I set that up.

it's a shame that there's no F2FS driver for Windows: https://f2fs.wiki.kernel.org/development

If Android can read and write ext4, then the world is a more beatuiful place than I awakened this morning thinking it was.

+Quote Post
Grench
post Jan 15 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(depscribe @ Jan 11 2018, 07:14 PM) *
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 11 2018, 03:34 PM) *

If Android can read and write ext4, then the world is a more beatuiful place than I awakened this morning thinking it was.

I tried an EXT4 formatted microSDXC last night in a Galaxy Note 3, Android 5.1. It failed to recognize it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2018 - 02:13 PM