Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problems with ipkg, "Unsupported scheme"
waalkman
post Sep 29 2004, 01:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,284

So I download ipk's from both stable and unstable from the pdaXrom site. I make sure to get the "Packages" files as well.

I setup my package manager to use the directories that I downloaded the ipk's to as the feed and told ipkg to update.

ipkg found the directories as they should, but it returned the error message "Unsupported scheme".

Googling for the error came up with a few references to the same problem with wget.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or knows what's going wrong?

Thanks,

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mag1c
post Sep 29 2004, 03:36 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,363

Hi,

if you want to use a feed, you have to make it available for http access. So either

a: set up a local http server
b: install the packages without feed (ipkg install ...)
c: use the original feed from web

Greets
Mag1c

+Quote Post
waalkman
post Sep 30 2004, 01:22 AM
Post #3

Actually, pdaXrom's package manager allows you to setup a local feed, and remove the network one as well if you like. Looking at the contents of /etc/ipkg.conf confirms this.

BTW, adding "set -x" somewhere near the top of /usr/bin/ipkg (ipkg is actually just a wrapper for wget) will cause ipkg to print out debug information (I put it just above the "set -e" line). Then running ipkg install foo.ipk will show that the error actually comes from wget.

Now on to why wget doesn't like these files...

Thanks,

John

P.S. apparently the new version of ipkg (http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/Ipkg) that's compiled, not a scipt. Has anyone had any experience with it?

+Quote Post
lardman
post Sep 30 2004, 01:30 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 464

I installed the ipkg package from OZ3.3.5 over the pdaXrom one.

I started a thread about this somewhere a while back.

It performs far better (more stable, better error recovery, ipkg-link), but it trips over some of the pdaXrom packages as it's more strict about the layout of the control file. ymmv.

Si

+Quote Post
waalkman
post Sep 30 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #5

It performs far better (more stable, better error recovery, ipkg-link), but it trips over some of the pdaXrom packages as it's more strict about the layout of the control file. ymmv.

That was something else I had noticed, that the package installer would complain about the control.tar.gz file and not install it. Unpacking the file shows that it's just a text file, why should that stop the installer?

Running ipkg from the command line on the same file will go ahead and install it, but only to /

Thanks,

John

+Quote Post
lardman
post Oct 1 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 464

It parses the file. Things like empty lines upset it (which is a bug I suppose, or a method of making people write good control files? ;-), and I think something about the filename field may also cause troubles (just a gut feeling, I looked at this a long time ago).

Si

+Quote Post
waalkman
post Oct 2 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #7

It parses the file. Things like empty lines upset it (which is a bug I suppose, or a method of making people write good control files? ;-),

Yeah, that's it, obviously a feature smile.gif

and I think something about the filename field may also cause troubles (just a gut feeling, I looked at this a long time ago).

Si

Hmmm, I'll have to compare a good one with a bad one and see if I can spot the difference.

Thanks,

John

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 09:34 PM