7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VoIP On the 6000
speculatrix
post Oct 12 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #91

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

hmm, iconnecthere looks like quite a useful service, as they can offer me a Phoenix/Arizona number, ideal for my daughter to be able to ring me cheaply.

all I basically really need is a way to get a VOIP service that offers me a cheap or free inbound number in the USA that can call my VOIP phone in the UK.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
undrwater
post Jan 6 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #92

Group: Members
Member No.: 500

So I've successfully gotten kppi to work with asterisk sending and receiving calls from the PSTN. It worked well internally. Then I resd up on how to get SIP calls past a NAT and I nearly choked. A minimum of 20 ports are required to bo open! SIP-aware firewalls/routers can open and close these ports when SIP packets come in, but that's an added expense (or headache if one is to build a firewall).

IAX only requires one UDP port open. ZIAX is the only Z app I'm aware of that uses this protocol. KPPI in conjunction with FWD (who can use IAX) might be another solution, though I worry about latency.

+Quote Post
adf
post Jan 6 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(undrwater @ Jan 7 2007, 12:55 AM)
So I've successfully gotten kppi to work with asterisk sending and receiving calls from the PSTN.  It worked well internally.  Then I resd up on how to get SIP calls past a NAT and I nearly choked.  A minimum of 20 ports are required to bo open!  SIP-aware firewalls/routers can open and close these ports when SIP packets come in, but that's an added expense (or headache if one is to build a firewall).

IAX only requires one UDP port open.  ZIAX is the only Z app I'm aware of that uses this protocol.  KPPI in conjunction with FWD (who can use IAX) might be another solution, though I worry about latency.

Any chance someone has some scripting done for setting up a firewall to go with asterisk, maybe? Nice to see someone doing something with this btw

+Quote Post
undrwater
post Jan 8 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 500

QUOTE(adf @ Jan 6 2007, 08:52 PM)
Any chance someone has some scripting done for setting up a firewall to go with asterisk, maybe?  Nice to see someone doing something with this btw

I think most of your typical linux firewall distros will allow this kind of control for SIP packets. My problem is that I don't want to have yet another noisy, power-hungry machine clogging some corner of the house.

I run a web server, which I intend to by the asterisk server as well...If I put it on the DMZ and firewall it (would this be IPCHAINS?), I wonder if that might be better.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this...there's sooo much to learn!

+Quote Post
adf
post Jan 9 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 4,572

iptables, unless you`re running kernel 2.2, I think.
using the same box for both is probably the right idea

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 10 2007, 05:43 AM
Post #96

I use siproxd on my space heater*, er, firewall/file-server. Works very well.

mine's got an ipw-2915abg card and a usb bluetooth adaptor, so I can use it as general purpose router for PDAs and laptops too. On a palm can use "articulation" as the sip client.

it's a lot more flexible for natting and firewalling than a standalone adsl modem/router/wireless thingy, and I keep the wireless interface on a separate network to the secure cabled network.

*use a decent antech psu, a quiet CPU fan, and FDB hard drive, and it's not too bad at all noise wise.. and it keeps the room warm in winter, so the waste heat is not a problem, although it costs more for electric heating than gas!

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 10 2007, 05:44 AM
Post #97

QUOTE(undrwater @ Jan 9 2007, 06:14 AM)
I run a web server, which I intend to by the asterisk server as well...If I put it on the DMZ and firewall it (would this be IPCHAINS?), I wonder if that might be better.

consider
http://www.sipfoundry.org/
instead of asterisk

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 29 2007, 07:12 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 1,478

The upstream KPhone has matured a lot since moving to Sourceforge.

"KPhone is a SIP UA for Linux, supporting a multitude of features. Originally developed by Billy Biggs, it was developed at Wirlab until 2005. It is now developed by a team of volunteers in this project."

The latest version is 1.0.2.1, which fixes lots of crucial bugs (like digital DTMF, Hold, and memory leak, which I personally suffered alot) and added more features. The KPhone included in the latest KPhone Pi is 4.0.3. If nobody else beats me, I will try to compile the KPhone/Pi with the latest CVS.

Attached is the latest Kphone Changelog
Attached File(s)
Attached File  CHANGES.txt ( 10.5K ) Number of downloads: 21

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 29 2007, 07:36 AM
Post #99

QUOTE(xjqian @ Jan 29 2007, 04:12 PM)
The upstream KPhone has matured a lot since moving to Sourceforge.

does look like some very worthwhile updates... I'd love to see a new version on zaurus sharp rom.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 01:30 PM