OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Palm Users - Chmod Calculator, Wish there was a Zaurus version.
Jon_J
post Jan 11 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,821

I was looking for another program for my Palm Zire 72 and found this cool little freeware program.
"chmod.zip"
Download it here:
http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/chmod.shtml
Here's a brief description:
----------------------------------------------
chmod is a simple application, used to calculate the often confusing *nix chmod command.
This command is used for assigning rights to files, for example: "chmod 777 filea.txt" would grant read, write and execute rights to everyone for this file.
For more info on the chmod command itself, check any basic *nix reference guide.
Hopefully, if you have a use for this program, chmod will make determining and setting *nix file rights a little easier.

This would be cool if there was a proggie similar that would run on the Zaurus
Attached File(s)
Attached File  chmod.gif ( 13.56K ) Number of downloads: 30

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HoloVector
post Jan 11 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,420

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 11 2007, 10:13 AM)
I was looking for another program for my Palm Zire 72 and found this cool little freeware program.
"chmod.zip"
Download it here:
http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/chmod.shtml
Here's a brief description:
chmod is a simple application, used to calculate the often confusing *nix chmod command.
This command is used for assigning rights to files, for example: "chmod 777 filea.txt" would grant read, write and execute rights to everyone for this file.
For more info on the chmod command itself, check any basic *nix reference guide.
Hopefully, if you have a use for this program, chmod will make determining and setting *nix file rights a little easier.

I used to use a Dashboard Widget on my Mac to calculate these for my Z until I bought Tree!Explorer+. The graphical rights assignment it has is addicting. Check off run as Root and you are deadly. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Jan 11 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,821

Thank you HoloVector, I do use that function of Tree!Explorer. It has been handy in getting some software to work that doesn't assign write rights to it's data or config files, or in the case of some games in the genesis emulator, I had to change permissions in 2 folders to get the save game feature to work.
I'm still a Linux newbie and still don't quite understand the group usage of certain files. I don't usually mess with the group assignment in Tree!Explorer though.

+Quote Post
gojira
post Jan 11 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,248

chmod on the Z (and most chmods these days) accepts symbolic modes, so there's no need to calculate the octal modes

+Quote Post
Drake01
post Jan 11 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,483

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Jan 11 2007, 11:13 AM)
"chmod.zip"

I think I actually downloaded this once. smile.gif

Anyway, my wife says that I'm a geek, and I had a little time to kill after dinner... Since I wouldn't want to prove her wrong, I wrote a silly little bash script. Not as elegant as the GUI app, but there are also no dependencies except an open shell.

Whether or not this is useful to anyone, it amused me. (And I haven't even had anything to drink!)

Also, while you can use symbolic modes, of course, I find the 3-digit octal code to be faster and easier to type.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  chmod_info.txt ( 2.44K ) Number of downloads: 27

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 03:40 PM